Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

get engaged before bschool?

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Re: get engaged before bschool? [#permalink]
I would say yes. If you would get married to her if B-school was not in the path, then definitly yes!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
I'm recently engaged and we will have been together 4 years (in about two weeks actually). However, my girlfriend/fiance will be coming to school with me (possibly Cornell :)). I think the 5 hours will be brutal. Hence, I voted to have you wait.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
To explain why I said no (to start the year with)...and that can easily change between now and then but here is my take on things I have seen. Some people get engaged before school since they think that added commitment will keep them together. I am of the mind that if you need a ring to keep you together then you probably aren't meant to be anyways. So if you are meant to be you wont need a ring to stay together. However, if you stay together because of a ring, then thats going to be destined to fail.

B-school is a strain on and a test of a relationship if you are living together. The honest opinion is that it can be a near death sentence if you are apart...not all relationships fail due to distance but it is extremely challenging if they dont understand what you are dealing with on a day to day basis.

However, 5 hours isnt that bad...as long as she is willing to make the trip up to visit you since you are going to be too busy to do it as often then you can easily make it work. Either get engaged right away or do it later in the fall. Doing it shortly before you head to school probably wont get her as excited haha.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
young_gun, I hope your girlfriend doesn't read gmatclub. My girlfriend would kill me if I polled a bunch of strangers on an forum for that kind of decision. :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
liubhs02 wrote:
young_gun, I hope your girlfriend doesn't read gmatclub. :wink:

uhh me too
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Taking away the romantic considerations for a moment, people are cool with tossing an extra 10k on top of cost? Added strain if you're making payments while taking on debt. Or using money at 8.5% to pay off money at X%
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Definitely go for it. It's a nice gesture, showing that despite your b-school plans and career goals you are firmly committed to the relationship. It isn't the ring that keeps you together, but the commitment that the ring symbolises.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I'm in the same situation. We've been dating for more than five years and soon to be engaged. I don't know whether she should come with me or not..

By the way, there's going to be a time difference of 7 hours between her and me. We are used to having it long distance, since we were in different cities while we were both undergraduates..

Dont know what to do yet..

Originally posted by oziozzie on 06 Mar 2009, 04:35.
Last edited by oziozzie on 06 Mar 2009, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Wait one full year. If you still feel the same way then, buy the ring over the summer, propose, and get married the following summer, when you should be raking in the big bucks.

I've always felt you can't lose what is already yours, and this rule is particularly true when it comes to women. If you lost her over going to Cornell to better yourself for about 1.5 years (minus vacations), she is really doing you a favor in the long-run.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
jjright wrote:
I've always felt you can't lose what is already yours, and this rule is particularly true when it comes to women.

Do you realise how much women hate this attitude? My $0.02 - when you take something for granted, you lose it, and this is particularly true when it comes to women.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I said yes. Grad school really isn't THAT much work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I can't believe this is a post - why don't you talk to your significant other and make the decision together.
Current Student
Send PM
Nerdboy wrote:
jjright wrote:
I've always felt you can't lose what is already yours, and this rule is particularly true when it comes to women.

Do you realise how much women hate this attitude? My $0.02 - when you take something for granted, you lose it, and this is particularly true when it comes to women.

i think jj must mean "you can't lose what ISN'T yours"...right?
Current Student
Send PM
oziozzie wrote:
I'm in the same situation. We've been dating for more than five years and soon to be engaged. I don't know whether she should come with me or not..

By the way, there's going to be a time difference of 7 hours between her and me. We are used to having it long distance, since we were in different cities while we were both undergraduates..

Dont know what to do yet..

if it's easy for her to move with you, then why not? but what would she do in ithaca, for example?
Current Student
Send PM
I strongly disagree. Nobody is talking about taking anyone "for granted". I've been with enough women to know that the only sure fire way to lose one is to fear her loss, and allowing that fear to drive you into action. But that's just my humble 0.02

Nerdboy wrote:
jjright wrote:

Current Student
Send PM
thanks young gun :)

young_gun wrote:
Nerdboy wrote:
jjright wrote:

i think jj must mean "you can't lose what ISN'T yours"...right?
Current Student
Send PM
anyone just throwing in the towel prior to school?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2