Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Re: Job prospects for one of the most competitive classes ever [#permalink]
cdnaudit wrote:
ok, I agree with you. It does sound racist (what they're trying to implement) and it is unfair.

My rant goes against the whole idea of moving to the states to live after getting higher education. Doesn't it make more sense to let the country that made you who you are benefit from whatever you have to offer?

I don't agree that the children of the wealthy are the only ones who get all charitable. I myself come from a low middle class latin american family and worked my way up to a top undergrad business school (where I am now), I don't have a lifesyle that would *afford* me the chance of getting all cute and going 100% into social enterprise. However, my main goal is not by any means to create a non profit if I do move back 'home'. It is to go there, work my way up in whatever industry I decide to go into and then give back to the community.

I guess what I'm saying is that moving to north america is not the only way to 'get ahead', I'm sure there are some great opportunities for fresh hard working MBAs in developing economies too.

Well - I don't know about Venezuela and South America - but in India getting into the elite b-schools is just brutally competitive. Mind you - this is just the domestic competition. 99.9th percentile cutoff in the entrance exam is just impossible to achieve - yet students do it and get into IIMs and so far have shaped up some of the flourishing businesses in the country. So in India, it's just the competition that forces students to look elsewhere for a good business education. Even for the so-called international 1 year programs in India, competition is again brutal.

I'm sorry to say this but your rant about working in the US after studying is completely baseless. The cost of an american business education makes it impossible to go back to the home country and work, unless you are from the first world, and there are students who do that. In the developing world, the salaries don't match the cost and you'll have to work forever to pay off your loans.
Current Student
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
The two go hand in hand. You can't be recruited to work in a country where you don't have legal work authorization.

I remember hearing about a UK program a few years ago where if you had an MBA from a top school (as they defined it) and spoke English, you automatically qualified for a UK work permit. I wouldn't mind seeing a similar program in the US that made it much easier for highly skilled workers to work in the US.

They do something similar already for the H1-B visas.

Quote:
Separate from the cap, however, there are 20,000 special cap exemptions available to people with U.S. masters' degrees or higher.

That would make a lot of sense actually. You've got highly skilled workers in the US right now. Why not keep them here.

Unfortunately, when the economy goes south, anti-immigration sentiment only increases.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
pbanavara wrote:
Yes precisely, the legal work authorization should be granted based on the education one obtains in the host country and not require an employer to separately sponsor such an employee.

The only problem with that is that you end up with a lot of under employed professionals.

Canada has a "point system". You qualify based on education, language skills, etc. You don't need a employer to sponsor you.

Canada has a lot of foreign engineers, doctors and skilled professionals doing menial jobs because they can't find employment.

I actually think the US system is better because the immigrant is guaranteed employment when they arrive.

The US just needs to revamp the green card process and increase the H1-B quotas.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
cdnaudit wrote:
Why are people from developing countries thinking about getting away all the time? why not get educated and then go back to your country to maybe contribute to the advancement of your people. Besides, where do you think the value of a top MBA is going to be greater? in manhattan or in a poor country where good ideas are desperately needed to help everyone get ahead?

Holy crap. They want to come to America because that is where the opportunities are.

I was reading an article about biotech start-ups. It is SO much easier to get venture capital in the US vs. Europe it's not even funny.

The people who get into top MBA programs are mostly people with high expectations of themselves. Would you rather work in the US for a start-up like Google or go back home and argue with the local bureaucrat about the size of the bribe you need to pay to make sure your business will get electrical service in the next month?

RF
Current Student
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Moreover, "immigration reform" ends up lumping two sides of the spectrum -- illegal immigration/migrant workers and professional/skilled workers under the same umbrella of "immigration reform" -- which ends up being a political instrument that elected officials will use to stoke the fires of populism.

As usual, nice analysis Alex.

The part I quoted is very true. I know when I was trying to get my green card (which took 4.5 years BTW), a number of bills came before congress to increase the employment-based permanent resident quota. Each time it was defeated because amnesty for illegal aliens was included in the bill.

The reason I said "I don't want to throw gasoline on the fire" is because I've been in the same situation as many of you internationals. During the 4.5 years of the green card process I couldn't leave my current employer. I was locked in. To add to the misery, I had no idea on how long it would take, many immigrants had waited 7, 8 or 9 years for their green card. I turned down job offers that I knew would offer better opportunities because I didn't want to jeopardize the green card process.

In the end I almost left the US for the UK because I was sick of living my life just to get a green card. I'm thankful that I didn't because the green card came only a month after my decision to stick it out.

All I can say is weigh your options carefully, try not to get discouraged and just live your life, in the US or not.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I don't think the H1-B process itself is that bad - it could be improved for certain. For one, most companies want to apply for you H1-B before you get your MBA, so the separate pool put aside for graduates of Masters programs is, in effect, circumvented.

The issue is that the current American Workers legislation is truly blocking the right people, who recruited against American alternative for the same salary and same job, from being recruited. I am one of them, so I am not very objective about this as I am now looking for a job for the second time as a result. I am not Indian, and do not have the same issue with salary discrepancy should I want to go back to my homeland, but I have a number of friends who are in exactly the same position who are. For me, my girlfriend is American, and for the two of us it makes more sense to live here, and we would prefer to. Now I have to find work again, and - understandably - this is a real annoyance and pain for my career. What is worse is that the companies using the TARP clause are making absolutely zero effort to relocate people in their global franchise, and it is actually working as a clause instigating job destruction.

The current situation has already been material for a huge article in the Times of India. The momentum on all this is only just starting, and the Business School Deans are active on it. It is definitely a topic to watch.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
GMAT Tutor
1907 posts