Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
Re: Graduate School for the Unemployed [#permalink]
flood wrote:
Quote:
The notion that graduates of top tier law school will always have well-paying jobs is gone.

There are way to many lawyers in this country and law schools now exist for the benefit of the highly overpaid professors and administrators who run them.

Like so much in the rest of our society -- legal education is corrupt. I cannot understand why the public does not wake up to this. Obscene tuition, salary and employment stats that are massaged to the point of being distorted.

I hope this isn't true for B-school

Quote:
The notion that graduates of top tier B-Schools will always have well-paying jobs is gone.

There are way to many MBAs in this country and business schools now exist for the benefit of the highly overpaid professors and administrators who run them.

Like so much in the rest of our society -- business education is corrupt. I cannot understand why the public does not wake up to this. Obscene tuition, salary and employment stats that are massaged to the point of being distorted.

The great thing about the MBA is that it's much more general and wide-reaching than a JD is. It puts a stamp on one's head that he or she has been educated to manage an entire business rather than simply the legal issues that may confront it.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
It really boil downs to doing what you love (which the author doesn't really address) and living with no regrets.

Nontangible (happiness, satisfaction) > tangibles (dollar, cash, mula, cars).

Originally posted by bigfernhead on 09 Mar 2009, 11:49.
Last edited by bigfernhead on 09 Mar 2009, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
This article is absolutely ludicrous. Its basic premise is that education isn't worthwhile because people in our generation have ADD.

Why don't people stop going to college while we're at it?

Is it just me - or is it an interesting fact that while people around the country are getting laid off, there seems to continue to be high demand for MBA graduates from top schools? Even if those jobs aren't the same "dream" jobs that may have been available in some years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
The article seems to be addressing the ROI on grad school. After all, going into debt in a bad economy isn't a very safe strategy.

However, I think a lot of people fail to look at the long-term benefits and immeasurable benefits like growing as a person. Sure you might be in debt coming out of school and you may not get the job you love coming out of school, but what about 5 years later? 10 years later? Maybe an opportunity comes up and you act on the opportunity properly because of the skills you acquired in grad school… maybe you progress at a company much faster because of your MBA…or maybe you get a unique experience and grow as a person as opposed to grinding away at life doing the same boring work for 45 years while accumulating a bunch of crap you don’t really need.

That’s what I keep thinking about. I have a high paying job where I work short hours at a stable company. If I were more practical, there is no way I would go to grad school, but I’m still leaning towards going. Maybe I’m just naïve, maybe my youthful optimism will completely screw me…I don’t know. I’ll just have to see how risk averse I am this summer when I really have to make the decision. In the meantime, I’m trying to figure out if the benefits are really there or if the educational system is trying to hustle me out of a serious amount of money.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm in the same position.

Current Job = Low Risk
MBA = Higher Risk

Higher Risk = Higher Rewards :-)

flood wrote:
The article seems to be addressing the ROI on grad school. After all, going into debt in a bad economy isn't a very safe strategy.

However, I think a lot of people fail to look at the long-term benefits and immeasurable benefits like growing as a person. Sure you might be in debt coming out of school and you may not get the job you love coming out of school, but what about 5 years later? 10 years later? Maybe an opportunity comes up and you act on the opportunity properly because of the skills you acquired in grad school… maybe you progress at a company much faster because of your MBA…or maybe you get a unique experience and grow as a person as opposed to grinding away at life doing the same boring work for 45 years while accumulating a bunch of crap you don’t really need.

That’s what I keep thinking about. I have a high paying job where I work short hours at a stable company. If I were more practical, there is no way I would go to grad school, but I’m still leaning towards going. Maybe I’m just naïve, maybe my youthful optimism will completely screw me…I don’t know. I’ll just have to see how risk averse I am this summer when I really have to make the decision. In the meantime, I’m trying to figure out if the benefits are really there or if the educational system is trying to hustle me out of a serious amount of money.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I agree with Steel, and disagree with the author's point of view. First of all, education is a good thing. More education is a good thing. The return on education is growing faster and faster, especially in those countries whose economies are moving away from manufacturing towards knowledge and service industries. Second, there is more value to an MBA than just the education you receive in the classroom: it's the relationships you develop with your classmates and alumni, which no doubt will help you throughout your career.
GMAT Club Bot