Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Which should I attend

You may select 1 option
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Sick of these yet? Decide my fate: Kellogg (1Y) vs. Yale [#permalink]
Jerz wrote:
I'm biased but IMO Kellogg > Yale

I agree. RCA is not a career switcher and he is NYU Stern undergrad. NYU Stern undergrads don't need 2 year MBA program for success. :-D

Also, he wants to stay in bio-tech, which Kellogg might be better for....

In my opinion, RCA will be in similar situation looking for pharma jobs in Evanston in 2010 or in New Haven in 2011.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
This thread should just be renamed 'The nink vs Jerz cagematch'
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
rca215 wrote:

Cons:
- Less time to enjoy the overall B school experience
- Enter workforce earlier (2010)
- Less time to gain leadership positions in clubs
- Surrounded only by 1Y consultants going back to M/B/B? (not sure)
- Looked upon less favorably by recruiters than 2Y program? (not sure)
- No internship opportunity
- Have to start earlier (June vs. September)
- Strong competition in biotech/pharma recruiting

What say you? Thanks!

Since I'm obviously biased as well - I'll try to address these Cons hehe. 1) There are a decent amount of 1Ys that are M/B/B, but you'd be surprised by the diversity within the 1Y class, 2) 1Y is definitely not at a disadvantage for recruiting to the 2Y program, 3) People have been getting biotech/pharma jobs and internships this year like whoa. I have yet to meet someone who sought out biotech/pharma and did not get an offer. It has by far, been the most successful job path in this economy at Kellogg (both for interns and full time)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:

But I am agreeing with him.... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Steel wrote:
Since I'm obviously biased as well - I'll try to address these Cons hehe. 1) There are a decent amount of 1Ys that are M/B/B, but you'd be surprised by the diversity within the 1Y class, 2) 1Y is definitely not at a disadvantage for recruiting to the 2Y program, 3) People have been getting biotech/pharma jobs and internships this year like whoa. I have yet to meet someone who sought out biotech/pharma and did not get an offer. It has by far, been the most successful job path in this economy at Kellogg (both for interns and full time)

I was hoping someone with more Kellogg insight would address those uncertainties, so thanks for that.
Current Student
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
 Q48  V47
Send PM
nink wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:

But I am agreeing with him.... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Indeed, someone actually advising someone based on what is best for the advisee rather than shamelessly promoting their own school. That would never fly on BW.

But since someone should take the Yale side (I'm definitely not an expert on the 2 schools) , something I would definitely consider would be the Yale brand vs the Kellogg brand in New England (where I assume you want to keep working after Bschool rca, correct me if Im wrong). I would think Yale has a slight edge in that area vs Kellogg. Not even so much amongst fellow MBAs but if you stay in biotech you'll be working alongside a lot of scientists/non business people who don't have the USNews/BW rankings memorized by heart. Hopefully they will at least know that Northwestern isn't that other team in the Beanpot besides Harvard/BC/BU.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
But since someone should take the Yale side (I'm definitely not an expert on the 2 schools) , something I would definitely consider would be the Yale brand vs the Kellogg brand in New England (where I assume you want to keep working after Bschool rca, correct me if Im wrong). I would think Yale has a slight edge in that area vs Kellogg. Not even so much amongst fellow MBAs but if you stay in biotech you'll be working alongside a lot of scientists/non business people who don't have the USNews/BW rankings memorized by heart. Hopefully they will at least know that Northwestern isn't that other team in the Beanpot besides Harvard/BC/BU.

This is definitely something that I have considered, but in general I just think it's less regional (well, some Northeastern-related confusion is bound to happen :( :( ), and more related to people who know B schools and people who don't.
Current Student
 Q48  V47
Send PM
And for the Kellogg side, I noticed you cited Yale's opportunities in social enterprise/non-profit/development. Kellogg is also very strong in that area as well. SEEK Program, Huge/diverse Net Impact chapter, Kellogg Corps, cool environment-related clubs if you're into that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I think you would have much more fun at the Yale 2 year. Personally, if I had to choose between two great programs, the 2 year thing would sway me. If it were Kellogg 2 year thats a different story.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Yale is a fantastic program, but I'm sorry. It has to be Kellogg (and not just because it is where I will be going).

This is an MBA and the program at Kellogg is constantly recognized as one of the best in the world. Yale is fantastic, but as far as MBA's goes, its a step behind Kellogg. If this was a JD or almost any other degree, I would definitely say go with Yale.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not going to vote for one or the other, I'll just mention a few points:

1. New Haven is within driving distance to Boston (under 3 hrs). You might be at Yale for longer, but you'll be able to see the ol' lady a lot more often. You could easily spend every other weekend together if you wanted to.

2. School ranking means a lot less in biotech/pharma than it does in finance or consulting. I had a friend who finished up at Yale a couple years ago and had no problem getting interviews with companies. Most pharma/biotech recruiters would go like this :| if you asked them to name an M7 school. In fact, my friend said the Yale's Ivy League name actually pulls a lot of weight. (going back to bostonsparky's comments)

3. The lack of an internship is a real kicker. Lets say you want to stay in pharma/biotech. If you went to Yale you could do an internship in <insert cool industry>, then go back to biotech. In fact a Tuck alumni suggested I do just that. "Expand your horizons" and all that jazz. You could do a summer internship in non-profit for example.

4. In terms of competition for biotech jobs, you already have a huge advantage there. You've got first-hand experience in a start-up doing business development. How many people are in that situation? I would guess VERY few. That plays both ways though. It means at Kellogg you don't really have to worry about your competition. However, at Yale, it also means you won't have to worry about the lack of on-campus recruiting. It's not like you came from a forestry background and now you want to move into health care.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
refurb wrote:
2. School ranking means a lot less in biotech/pharma than it does in finance or consulting. I had a friend who finished up at Yale a couple years ago and had no problem getting interviews with companies. Most pharma/biotech recruiters would go like this :| if you asked them to name an M7 school. In fact, my friend said the Yale's Ivy League name actually pulls a lot of weight. (going back to bostonsparky's comments

Maybe, maybe not....

Baxter, Genzyme, Genentech, Johnson & Johnson, B&D, Merck, Abbott, Amgen, Boston Scientific, Eli Lilly, Novartis, and Pfizer (among other smaller firms) all recruited on-campus for interns and full-time this year at Kellogg. I guarantee all the recruiters from those firms know the value of a Kellogg (otherwise they wouldn't come to Kellogg year in year out).
Current Student
Send PM
Steel wrote:
Maybe, maybe not....

Baxter, Genzyme, Genentech, Johnson & Johnson, B&D, Merck, Abbott, Amgen, Boston Scientific, Eli Lilly, Novartis, and Pfizer (among other smaller firms) all recruited on-campus for interns and full-time this year at Kellogg. I guarantee all the recruiters from those firms know the value of a Kellogg (otherwise they wouldn't come to Kellogg year in year out).

I'm not saying that the companies don't know who the good schools are, they do, but trust me, they don't think "Well, Kellogg is consistently ranked in the top 10, while Yale has never broken into the top 10, so lets just shred the Yale resumes."

I talked with two people, one at in marketing at big pharma company and one in business development at mid-size biotech and both told me there would be no difference between attending Duke or Tuck. That's not something rankings alone would suggest.

Take a look where Pfizer recruits their MBAs from:

Quote:
* Chicago University Graduate School of Business
* Columbia University Graduate School of Business
* Harvard Business School
* Indiana University (Kelley)
* University of Minnesota (Carlson)
* Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)
* Northwestern University (Kellogg)
* New York University (Stern)
* Pennsylvania State University (Smeal)
* University Pennsylanvia (Wharton)
* University of Virginia (Darden)

Where a pharma/biotech company recruits from often has more to do with alumni contacts than any perceived difference in ranking. That's why Pfizer recruits at UMinn and Indiana (Pfizer had a big mid-west presence at one time). Who knows why they recruit at Penn State, probably some alumni offered to recruit there.

However, it often varies within business function too. Finance and marketing people will often be more sensitive to rankings than say supply chain or business development would be.

All I'm saying is that it's not like IB or consulting. You don't see the drastic cutoff in recruiting based on rank. It's not "M7 or bust".

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
You are in a jam. If it were the Kellogg 2 year program, it would be an easier choice (at least for me...largely because I don't really know what your relationship is like). If you are positive you'll end up in biotech, I'd say go to Kellogg, but if you want the option to explore other fields, Yale makes sense (this is coming from a guy who's torn between Kellogg and Chicago). The internship is incredibly valuable and would help to mitigate some potential career path concerns (if they exist). Moreover, the job markets in 2011 will undoubtedly be better, so recruiting may be beneficial.

Sorry if this isn't compare and contrast the two programs - but I think a two year program will be a bit more of a bona fide "MBA experience" and will allow you to create tighter connections with your class (although I'd tip my hat to Kellogg students over Yale).

I was in a long distance relationship for quite some time - and the distance between you two if you were at Yale would be manageable (albeit not extraordinarily pleasant).

It's tough, in the end I'd probably head off to Yale - but I'd put a lot of weight into where I get the best vibe (admit weekend).

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools:UNC class of 2010
Send PM
Kudos
As someone who just landed a Biotech Business Development job, I can say that Biz Dev is far and away the hardest function to get into. If there was a rankings sensitivity it would be BD, finance, Marketing and then supply chain management. And I just interviewed with 9 different companies and landed one pharma BD job, one biotech BD job, 2 pharma marketing jobs, and a life sciences VC job.

I recently attended an event for all incoming interns for the biotech business development positions. There were 5 kelloggs, 3 whartons, 2 columbias, and moi, the lonely UNC guy, but this company did not recruit on campus and I networked to get the position. That being said, I would choose Kellogg over Yale in your case. I have been to several healthcare type intern invitationals(on site second round interviews) and met many kelloggs but no Yalies BUT, I dont know anything about the 1 year program and if you have access to the same recruiters, resources, and "general transformational experience" that the 2 year MBA provides.
Current Student
Send PM
mbahunter wrote:
As someone who just landed a Biotech Business Development job, I can say that Biz Dev is far and away the hardest function to get into. If there was a rankings sensitivity it would be BD, finance, Marketing and then supply chain management.

Interesting! I hadn't heard about the rankings sensitivity of BD, but I have heard they have a high background sensitivity. In other words, its not the kind of job you often just walk into with having some relevant pre-MBA job experience.

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:UNC class of 2010
Send PM
Yeah for the job I ended up accepting one of the interview questions was something like "why should we hire you over everyone else?" I started in on my great science background, MS in biotech etc etc and they said, thats nice, but everyone else we are interviewing has an advanced science degree and research experience too...I was like ohhh, well in that case how about my leadership experience....I guess it worked cuz I got the job.

Genentech on the other hand was like first question, so you don't have any real actual business experience?? and the interview tanked from there. They would prefer someone who had BD experience at say a chemical company over me who actually developed one of their blockbuster drugs...go figure!

Point is, it varies wildly from company to company and frankly from interviewer to interviewer. There will be a bunch of people on campus to interview, try as hard as you can to interview with the person that likes you most...I landed two jobs over people that I felt were better suited simply b/c I had better interview rapport and knew the person liked my science background and could tell the other interviewer didnt care for it as much.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3