Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q43  V42
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden, Haas, Smith, Wharton, Stanford and HBS
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
 Q43  V42
Send PM
Re: What schools should I target? [#permalink]
AlexMBAApply wrote:
What you should be doing is to focus on your job.

It's good to think ahead, but you're getting ahead of yourself. You shouldn't be targeting any schools because it's years away. A lot can happen between now and then in your career/life, and you have to allow for such changes or new discoveries to happen. Avoid the "lock and load" mentality to career planning especially when you're barely out of school.

What you should be doing is to focus on what you can do in the next 6-12 months. Make sure you're learning as much as you can at work by taking on projects that really challenge you as well as taking initiative whenever you can. Align yourself with mentors at work that you admire or respect - the advice and guidance they give you can be invaluable for your future. If you have time outside of work, make sure you're keeping yourself busy and productive on something that involves people - some organized group activity or activities (artistic, athletic, charity, political, religious, etc.) that you love -- that way, you have the heart to commit a good chunk of your time over the next years or decade.

Do that, and your b-school plans will be a byproduct - you will know when it comes time to apply whether it's worth it for you to go or not, and the kinds of schools that will best suit your life and your needs at that particular point in time.

In other words, rather than figure out "what kind of resume do I need to build over the next 3-4 years" -- you should be focusing on "what kind of life do I want". Fit b-school into your life, not the other way around.

What I say here may very well go over your head (or you may have to learn the hard way through experience and hindsight with the "should've, could've, would've...") but I figured I should give it a shot...

Thanks for your advice Alex.

I think you are right that I am probably looking too far ahead...I definitely have had the "should've, could've,would've" experience in the past and I am probably just trying to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for your thoughtful insight...I'll start working on my 6-12 month plans!

+1
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What schools should I target? [#permalink]