Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Booth vs Haas ($$$) [#permalink]
river has this right - the obsessive people who apply to business school worry about the difference between school x vs school y. There is no argument that would make me take Chicago over Haas with full tuition with that profile.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
I did some grad work at Haas when I was doing grad studies at Berkeley, and I'm heading to Booth in the fall with some change. That said, I'm bias towards Booth, but if I was in the poster's position, I would choose Haas. I know plenty of people that came form the program who are in very intersting finance positions. There may, however, be a regional bias, from Haas, you can nab finance positions in CA without much issue...if you want to be on the east coast, Booth will likely win hands down...additionally, the large IBs will recruit much more heavily from Booth.

That said, $100K is a ton of money and Berkeley is one of the greatest towns on the planet. I'd go to Haas without the least bit of reservation. In the end, you're the one that's getting hired, not the degree on your resume. Differentiation at Haas (in particular in finance) will be much easier than at Booth, so you would likely have an edge during on campus recruiting.

Congrats and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Craig,

what did you choose? how has it turned out? I would love an update.

I am a potential MBA starting this fall 2011. I have been accepted at Booth and I just received an interview invite to Haas. I'm really interested to hear how your story turns out.

Also, I work in a PE-related function right now for a publicly-traded software company right now. Any tips on getting that full-ride to Haas :wink: ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
lars23 wrote:
lsuguy7 wrote:
lars23 wrote:
Don't be short-sighted. Take the Booth offer. Brand name and network goes much farther in life than $100K. Besides, if you work in a decent job, you'll make it up in a few years or less. Do you really want to look back on life and say, 'maybe I should have went to Booth'?

I hope one of the admin moves this to the BW forum. I wonder if I'll be saying I should have went to Booth? I think Chicago is an amazing school but I'm not sold on a school making you a success because of brand name and network. I work for a company that hires both Chicago and Haas grads into it's rotationary programs and they make exactly the same amount of money, move through the ranks at the same speed, so at that rate you'd never make up that 100k.

I work in investment banking and we bring in more Booth students than Haas. Sure, when you get in, you will make the same as your peers. But what if we chose a Booth student over a Haas? Well, that Booth student will make up the $100K deficit in 2 years (would have been +$100K surplus in 1.5 years of work before the market crash).

LOL.... No S***...... Booth graduates a truckload more students than Haas so that fact is pretty apparent, but you are speaking in so many hypotheticals. Too many "if's", the scholarship is absolute and I know A LOT of IB's and once you get in if you are not bustin' you tail, you can get past up by a tier 2 let alone another top 10 mba co-worker. Definitely go to Haas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
First of all, congrats! This is a tough decision indeed. Besides the money factor, if the main reason you'll be going to Booth is that it is stronger in finance, remember that things also change when you get to b-school. Unless you are 100% committed to PE no matter what (and perhaps even then), you may decide that you want to do something else after your MBA. Especially at a place like Haas, with Stanford next door and the whole Silicon Valley thing, you may end up at some startup that you really like or a company you yourself start! (esp since Haas is very entrepreneurial)

Also, there are probably lots of mid-tier PE firms on the west coast that you could network with and target....for which you may even have less competition than if you were at a school like Booth or Wharton.

$100k is a LOT of money, especially when compared to nothing. In fact, one good way to help you decide is to call Booth and tell them about your full ride, if they pitch in at least $40k or so, then it may become easier for you to decide to go to Booth.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Booth for me, but my financial situation may be different as I have most of my tuition already saved up.

I wouldn't go from a Globally recognized top tier to a regional (US level elite) especially if you do intend to goto another country. The ranking bias abroad is much more significant unfortunately.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
lars23 wrote:
lsuguy7 wrote:
lars23 wrote:
Don't be short-sighted. Take the Booth offer. Brand name and network goes much farther in life than $100K. Besides, if you work in a decent job, you'll make it up in a few years or less. Do you really want to look back on life and say, 'maybe I should have went to Booth'?

I hope one of the admin moves this to the BW forum. I wonder if I'll be saying I should have went to Booth? I think Chicago is an amazing school but I'm not sold on a school making you a success because of brand name and network. I work for a company that hires both Chicago and Haas grads into it's rotationary programs and they make exactly the same amount of money, move through the ranks at the same speed, so at that rate you'd never make up that 100k.

I work in investment banking and we bring in more Booth students than Haas. Sure, when you get in, you will make the same as your peers. But what if we chose a Booth student over a Haas? Well, that Booth student will make up the $100K deficit in 2 years (would have been +$100K surplus in 1.5 years of work before the market crash).

First off, tell booth about the hass offer. they're a very generous school typically. update them on your progress since your application (bs if you have to) and ask them to reevaluate you for a scholarship. then come back to the forum and let us know what happened. otherwise, now i see hass as the easy conclusion. take the pretax 200k they;re giving you and make it YOUR JOB to find what you want. you'll have less people competing for finance there as well - albeit for less opportuniities perhaps
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts