Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2798 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 740 (Q50 V40) - My story [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Please accept my congratulations and thank you very much for your post!
Any suggestions for our members as to what NOT to do?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Yes, I think that there are 2 major things that should NOT be done:
1) I see many people, who become focused in having a perfect score in one of the 2 sections (more often this happens in Math, where people are after Q51), but they neglect the other section. So, in the end they have a huge difference between the 2 sections and they ask for intructions on how to increase their overall score. I think that the answer is obvious: after a specific level in math or verbal, you get insignificant results for lots of effort. For example, there is no point trying to go from Q49 to Q51, if you have V30, because the increase V30->V32 is both easier to do and more effective than Q49 -> Q51.

2) From my personal experience, I think that it is easy to get burned, if you study GMAT for a long time. After 2 months of study, we go into diminishing returns (and possibly even negative returns). The exercises become boring, studying becomes careless and it seems useless to start reading another book from the beginning, because you already know 90-95% of the material anyway (but you still want to read 300 or 500 pages, in order to cover the last details). Therefore, in my opinion, there should be either a set date (e.g. register for GMAT 2 months after you start studying) or a set target (e.g. set a target score, when you start studying and after you hit it for 2-3 times in practice tests, register to give the GMAT in the next week). If there is no target (either score or date), it's really easy to get burned.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Congrats!!Btw, with the same 50-40 combo ppl get 750. So, You are unlucky :P
Simply awesome these 2 pointers
Quite agree with you.
I experiemented a lot with the GPrep S/w algo

Q 48 is 11-12 mistakes
Q 49 is basically when you do 9-10 mistakes in GPrep Quants(37 Qs)
Q 51 is like 3-5 Mistakes(Depending on Luck/Accuracy and also Experiemental Qs)

Also GPrep has smaller database compared to the same on the Test day S/W.So cant correlate that way

For others who are interested in RC, look at the url below(my signature)
I am posting 3 RCs daily.So come,join us. :)

river wrote:
1) I see many people, who become focused in having a perfect score in one of the 2 sections (more often this happens in Math, where people are after Q51), but they neglect the other section. So, in the end they have a huge difference between the 2 sections and they ask for intructions on how to increase their overall score. I think that the answer is obvious: after a specific level in math or verbal, you get insignificant results for lots of effort. For example, there is no point trying to go from Q49 to Q51, if you have V30, because the increase V30->V32 is both easier to do and more effective than Q49 -> Q51.

2) From my personal experience, I think that it is easy to get burned, if you study GMAT for a long time. After 2 months of study, we go into diminishing returns (and possibly even negative returns). The exercises become boring, studying becomes careless and it seems useless to start reading another book from the beginning, because you already know 90-95% of the material anyway (but you still want to read 300 or 500 pages, in order to cover the last details). Therefore, in my opinion, there should be either a set date (e.g. register for GMAT 2 months after you start studying) or a set target (e.g. set a target score, when you start studying and after you hit it for 2-3 times in practice tests, register to give the GMAT in the next week). If there is no target (either score or date), it's really easy to get burned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
river wrote:

My $.02 on #2...I have been studying for around 5 months, and since I am unemployed, I feel like I should be studying as much as possible, as many books as possible. I definitely am feeling burnt out a bit. I am trying to break it down to 2-2 hours sessions a day, max. In retrospect, I think I read to many vendor books with the same strategies, etc. I think it would have been more productive to have targeted 2-3 months time frame, focused on MGMAT, then started GMATprep, and probably the Challenges....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
"I also tried a couple of the Pricenton Review practice tests, but they didn't correlate with the GmatPrep ones. Also, I have bought the Kaplan books and CDs, but I didn't look at them."

I just started my simulated CATs with PR...I was wondering if you could elaborate on the lack of correlation with GmatPrep....were they higher or lower..and when did you take them in relation to the other CATs? Thanks..
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V40
Send PM
spgny wrote:
"I also tried a couple of the Pricenton Review practice tests, but they didn't correlate with the GmatPrep ones. Also, I have bought the Kaplan books and CDs, but I didn't look at them."

I just started my simulated CATs with PR...I was wondering if you could elaborate on the lack of correlation with GmatPrep....were they higher or lower..and when did you take them in relation to the other CATs? Thanks..

I took 2 PR CATs. The first one was 610 (Q48 V26) and it was before I had studied anything. Anyway, that score seemed normal at the time (I had just started studying and I had nothing to compare it to). So, after that I finished the PR book, did some of the verbal from OG11 and I gave a MGMAT CAT, which was 680. After that I studied a few more days (during which among other things, I finished the MGMAT SC book, which boosted my SC quite a bit) and decided to give another PR test, but I was frustrated to end up with a 650. Immediately after finishing that test, I gave a GMATPrep test, which gave me 690 (even though I was so tired after giving 2 tests one after the other). From that point on, I decided not to give another PR CAT. I don't know, if it was coincidence or not, but my performance at the time felt higher than 650 (and both MGMAT and GMATPrep seemed to agree with that). Also, generally I saw a huge correlation between MGMAT and GMATPrep, so I didn't see any reason to try other tests. My suggestion is that you have 6 MGMAT tests + 2 GMATPrep + 2 PowerPrep (this is the previous version of GMATPrep and you can still find it in the internet) CATs = 10 CATs that have a good correlation with each other. There is no reason to try other CATs, unless you finish all 10 of them and you have additional time, so you want to prepare more. And even, if you're done with them, you can always look at the gmatclub tests, which are excellent for math (the new percentages might crush your psychology, however you'll learn how to recognize all sorts of traps).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
river, thanks, I needed that...I am just starting simulated tests with 3 PR, and feel the results don't accurately reflect my level of preparation..with scores on the low side.

At this point I am going to spend my time doing OG questions again under timed conditions, and sticking to MGMAT/GMATprep tests...I will have to look into the Power Prep. Are PP different because they came from another vendor? I do not hear many people discussing them here.....
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V40
Send PM
I don't know, why people don't discuss PowerPrep. It's just the previous version of GmatPrep. Since you have already spent that many months in preparation and you are starting to get burned, I think that the best strategy for you would be to keep it simple. Pick a good company and stick to it. For example, MGMAT is good. Use their books and their CATs. If you don't like MGMAT, then Kaplan might be good for you. Also, the OG11, the supplemental handbooks and GmatPrep are good. If you've reached Q47-Q48 and you want to go higher, try the Gmatclub challenges. You don't need to spend additional time learning the same things again and again from different companies. Don't fall for analysis-paralysis.

Just my 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Paralysis by analysis...excellent perspective....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard Business School, Stanford
Send PM
Excellent. Congratulations!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Great breakdown. Thanks! Congratulations on your excellent score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Well done on an excellent achievement!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accountancy
Schools:Bentley University, INSEAD
Send PM
I am not a native English speaker either, your story is encouraging ! Congratulations !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Congrats!! and thanks for the insights.

I am currently concentrating on GMAT sets..once I get a consistent 90 I am planning to give the gmatclub tests...then I shall give kaplan tests and take a date depending on the score...

I agree with the burnout issue...So my strategy is to get a consistent target score and then take a date with a shorter span ( like one or two weeks ). Hope this works well :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Hello nitya,
Do you mean that from 28 Q questions in GmatPrep, 11-12 mistakes correspond to Q48?? or my understanding is not correct..

Also can you share such stat for verbal section?

nitya34 wrote:
Congrats!!Btw, with the same 50-40 combo ppl get 750. So, You are unlucky :P
Simply awesome these 2 pointers
Quite agree with you.
I experiemented a lot with the GPrep S/w algo

Q 48 is 11-12 mistakes
Q 49 is basically when you do 9-10 mistakes in GPrep Quants(37 Qs)
Q 51 is like 3-5 Mistakes(Depending on Luck/Accuracy and also Experiemental Qs)

Also GPrep has smaller database compared to the same on the Test day S/W.So cant correlate that way

For others who are interested in RC, look at the url below(my signature)
I am posting 3 RCs daily.So come,join us. :)

river wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
river wrote:
spgny wrote:

I took 2 PR CATs. The first one was 610 (Q48 V26) and it was before I had studied anything. Anyway, that score seemed normal at the time (I had just started studying and I had nothing to compare it to). So, after that I finished the PR book, did some of the verbal from OG11 and I gave a MGMAT CAT, which was 680. After that I studied a few more days (during which among other things, I finished the MGMAT SC book, which boosted my SC quite a bit) and decided to give another PR test, but I was frustrated to end up with a 650. Immediately after finishing that test, I gave a GMATPrep test, which gave me 690 (even though I was so tired after giving 2 tests one after the other). From that point on, I decided not to give another PR CAT. I don't know, if it was coincidence or not, but my performance at the time felt higher than 650 (and both MGMAT and GMATPrep seemed to agree with that). Also, generally I saw a huge correlation between MGMAT and GMATPrep, so I didn't see any reason to try other tests. My suggestion is that you have 6 MGMAT tests + 2 GMATPrep + 2 PowerPrep (this is the previous version of GMATPrep and you can still find it in the internet) CATs = 10 CATs that have a good correlation with each other. There is no reason to try other CATs, unless you finish all 10 of them and you have additional time, so you want to prepare more. And even, if you're done with them, you can always look at the gmatclub tests, which are excellent for math (the new percentages might crush your psychology, however you'll learn how to recognize all sorts of traps).

Thank you so much for your comments. I also took the PR online test, and I got 640, this is after I studied for almost 3 months, and I thought I really brushed up on my skills. I've been getting 690-700 on my MGMAT scores, a 660 on Kaplan (which is really more like a 700 in the real GMAT). Is this PR score understated?
Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Your stories are definitely encouraging. I am also pretty bad at verbal so going to concentrate full speed on it
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts