Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: Grade Non-disclosure and recruiting [#permalink]
So technically, if you have a subpar undergrad GPA, a GND ccan be a disadvantage?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
In all honesty, I agree with River - GND makes very little to no difference in either direction.

1) On recruiting - very few companies care about GPA (grad or undergrad) anyway. Plus, these companies are going to find a number to grade you on regardless of GND (whether it is GMAT, undergrad GPA, etc.). Plus, the only GPA that these companies have to go on is your first quarter GPA - so obviously it is pretty meaningless to begin with. Thus, on the recruiting front, everything else (networking, resume, cover letter, etc.) matters A LOT more than GPA.

2) On competition at school - if you put a bunch of type A, business school students together at any school then they are going to care about doing well in their classes (GND or not). I would imagine that people strive equally to do well in classes at Kellogg, Chicago, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, etc. regardless of the weight of the GND policies - and that's because each is a highly motivated group striving to do well and learn.

On the competition point further - Wharton is perceived to be one of the more competitive environments and Kellogg is perceived to be one of the least competitive b-school environments, yet Wharton has GND and Kellogg doesn't.

GND does not a culture make. Try to determine your fit with an overall culture, not with GND or not GND.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Steel, but imagine if Wharton didn't have GND and Kellogg had, then their characteristics could be exacerbated, perhaps people at Wharton would be even more cut throat and and Kellogg too soft. Just a thought.

Just like terry, I've expressed here my love to GND. With GND here in Booth, I've seen people with CPA taking easy accounting classes to have stellar GPAs, mostly because they want to make the transition to PE by going first to IB and 2 - 3 years later going to Private Equity, and then people will look if you graduated with honors, if have a good GPA etc. I think these people are planning too far ahead, but I don't blame then. On the other hand, I know people who took Fama's class in the first quarter (just to give an example) as the grade wouldn't hurt her/him even though the class is a PhD level. For recruiting I believe it doesn't matter too much, unless for a non GND you have only C's or A+'s.

I interviewed with 4 banks for S&T positions and 2 big Investment Management firms (both on the fixed income side), nobody asked me about grades, they asked me about courses I took was taking and my plan for the future. My interviews were in general extremally technical. I neglected networking and I believe this hurt my applications to several places (from this 6 I had to bid for 3), I wasn't used to this networking environment, it is as important as previous experience/personal skills.

Post 1k :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Quote:
1) As I understand it, GND means that companies recruiting on-campus are not allowed to ask for your grades. I've heard (anecdotally) that if you recruit with companies off-campus, they are allowed to ask your grades, and you must report them. Is that correct? How does that work?

At Booth, I think it means you can't disclose on or off campus.

Quote:
2) At schools where there is GND, is more emphasis placed on undergrad GPA as part of recruiting? I understand that you are still able to bid on interview slots, but am curious as whether undergrad GPA is weighed more/less heavily with GND.

No not really. I got asked about my undergrad GPA once (it wasn't listed). I know that the MC firms tend to ask for your GMAT score in the applications and I suspect that plays some role in the decision process (to get the interview in the first place). Once you have the interview, its really all about how you do in the interview..

Quote:
3) It seems some schools allow you to mention if you're on the Dean's List, but not the gpa itself. In those cases, do recruiters tend to screen resumes for mention of the Dean's List?

I doubt they explicitly screen for this. No one's even ever brought it up (its on my resume of course). Bottom line, grades don't much matter. That said, it IS nice not to have to actually worry that if I get a B in something there might be a repercussion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Thanks all, for your insight!!

+1 imaginary kudos to you all (to be given when kudos come back)
GMAT Club Bot