Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [390]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [8]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [4]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep & Power Prep Official Free GMAT Tests [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
phoenix09 wrote:
Is it correct that it is not Mac compatible? If so I am in trouble......

I run GMAT Prep on Linux through WINE. It work's flawless.
The advantage is that WINE is not a virtual machine, so you don't need XP disk and it doesn't eat up your RAM resources.

Quote:
Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. (Meaning Mac OSX ) Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop.

In short - it will be more like another application on your Mac that will enable you to run some (not all) Windows programs. Cool huh?

If you don't feel sure enough about your computer skills, and don't want to go beyond drag and drop actions you should try 30-day trial of Crossover (polished commercial version of WINE) .. that one is easiest to use :) .https://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Edit: :!: :!: :!: Attention! It has been reported (I don`t have a Mac on hand to check it out) that a free beta application based on WINE called winebottler can run GMAT prep on Intel based Macs with minimum installation time and set up. So the rest of the thread might turn out totally useless for you.

:idea: If you want to master your MacBook and enjoy WINE for free you can install it easily following this steps:
Note: since WINE is free it's far from being user-friendly on Mac, you'll end up using Terminal (but that's a nice skill to have). Also for all the steps below stable internet connection is a must!

Show SpoilerCompiling Wine on Mac OS Step-by-Step
  1. You will need to install Xcode 3.0 or higher, since wine depends on it.
    --Usally Xcode can be found on your OS Instalation DVD, or you can download it from apple's web site - https://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/)
  2. Install Mac Ports.
    --The easiest is to do so from the pre-build image .pkg - https://www.macports.org/install.php
    --Update Mac Ports: open Terminal applications (one of the Utilities) , type in
    Code:
    sudo port selfupdate
    Type in your admin password (note: no *** will show up as you type)
  3. Build wine
    --In Terminal type:
    Code:
    sudo port install wine

(this step will take some time, (took me about an hour) so have some coffee or go and give a kiss to your wife)
  4. Install GMAT Prep
    --In Terminal type:
    Code:
    wine
    put space after that, then drag and drop GMAT Prep Installer to terminal window. Press Enter
  5. Run GMAT Prep
    --Type in Terminal:
    Code:
    env WINEPREFIX="/Users/your_user_name/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\GMATPrep\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -ms64m -mx256m -jar "C:\Program Files\GMATPrep\lib\GMATPrep.jar" "C:\Program Files\GMATPrep"
  6. Use Wine for other windows applications.
    Easy How to - https://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

If any questions feel free to PM me.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by timetrader on 14 Apr 2009, 20:08.
Last edited by timetrader on 24 Jan 2010, 06:50, edited 8 times in total.
Added link to winebottler
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Send PM
Kudos
Just as an FYI - The PowerPrep software doesn't run on Windows Vista (64-bit).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
timetrader wrote:
GMAT Prep "Reset" - Reinstall
1.Go to C:\Program Files\GMATPrep\Exams
2.Within the Exams folder, you should see a Practice Test 1.log and a Practice Test 2.log
3.Delete or I'd say move to other location both logs*
4.Relaunch the GMAT Prep software, and it should show you that both practice exams are now Not Attempted, and you can take them again.

For those using Windows Vista
I just discovered that GMATPrep creates a folder and log file at following location:

C:\Users\{user_name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\GMATPrep\exams

{user_name} will vary from system to system. Otherwise, you can directly open your user folder from desktop and navigate to \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\GMATPrep\exams

*Make sure you have hidden files visible
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [0]
Send PM
Wow, thank you, bigoyal!
I suppose this is the same on all vista systems.

For mac users, I'll get to my friends mac soon to see how to make GMATperp work on Leopard. Look out for updates.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Guys,

Is is worth taking the powerPrep GMAT tests since this was administered by ETS prior to 2006? Are the formats and question types still similar? I did take GMAT Prep and am trying to save the second one for the final week prior to my test day.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [4]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
whatthehell wrote:
Guys,

Is is worth taking the powerPrep GMAT tests since this was administered by ETS prior to 2006? Are the formats and question types still similar? I did take GMAT Prep and am trying to save the second one for the final week prior to my test day.

Believe me whatthehell, you can attempt GMATPrep tests multiple times, for each set. Except for essay topics, they have such a huge database of quant and verbal questions, that you may not come across repeated questions in the 2nd run.

The key is to reset your tests once done. Effectively you have atleast 4 tests (twice for each test). You can try even more number of trials, but then probably you would start getting questions repeated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Duely noted bigoyal. Thanks!
I do plan to take those more than once, but just wanted to know if powerPrep is any good.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
whatthehell wrote:
Duely noted bigoyal. Thanks!
I do plan to take those more than once, but just wanted to know if powerPrep is any good.

It is - it is second best only to GMATPrep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
There is something that I have always wondered...

If we had wanted to do the GMATPrep more than twice, why don't we download and install the software on another computer? It's only around 26 MB, right?

That would allow us to do the two practice tests without having to reset them (which is on our 'first' pc)?

I am taking my GMAT in a month's time, but my score so far on the 2 GMATPrep and the Manhattan GMAT CAT is only around 580 to 640... I don't think the questions are difficult, it's just that I am either too careless or have too little time to select the correct answers.

I am fine and confident with the 2 AWAs though.

Please, anyone has any tips for me?

Thanks alot yea.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi guys,
For the Mac users out there, I was able to install GMATPrep on my Macbook Pro using Crossover Mac. I'm able to run the test the flawlessly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [0]
Send PM
lnthai wrote:
Hi guys,
For the Mac users out there, I was able to install GMATPrep on my Macbook Pro using Crossover Mac. I'm able to run the test the flawlessly.

Yes, I also find using Crossover to be the easiest, the fastest and the most problem free way to run GMAT Prep on Mac. The only drawback is that it costs 40 USD to buy one after the trial is over.

Installing and using WINE for Mac is not that easy but it's free.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I took my practice test using prepGMAT, for got record my score, How to Check that again, IS there some way out.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
srinivasarajui wrote:
I took my practice test using prepGMAT, for got record my score, How to Check that again, IS there some way out.

Unfortunately no.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, International Management
Schools:INSEAD
Send PM
Is there a discussion thread where GMAT prep questions are discussed?

I have certain doubts in the verbal section, was curious to know if we already have a thread where the GMAT prep q's are discussed or should i be individually posting them in the verbal forum?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
walkman4mba wrote:

I have certain doubts in the verbal section, was curious to know if we already have a thread where the GMAT prep q's are discussed or should i be individually posting them in the verbal forum?

We do not, though it is a good idea to start one. If you have time - that would be very helpful and I am sure would warrant quite a few kudos :-)
You can use google or forum search - that's what the most do right now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, International Management
Schools:INSEAD
Send PM
bb wrote:
walkman4mba wrote:

We do not, though it is a good idea to start one. If you have time - that would be very helpful and I am sure would warrant quite a few kudos :-)

Instead... If the moderators could regulate the posts of their respective forums to include the subject in the following format "Source Question" example "OG10 blah blah", "OG12 #47" and the best of the lot "GMATPrep blah blah" "Powerprep blah blah" "SC1000 #458" then using the search box present in each forum the user can filter to the relevant posts in a zippy.

So if my intend was to post an OG 12 SC doubt i could do a quick search of OG12 #47 or OG12 blah blah in the search box and be sure that this doubt has not been addressed already. On the same note people like me 2 days away from their GMAT can actually scan through the GMATprep doubts by running the simple search 'GMATPrep' through the search box.

What do you think? Worth some kudos.. :lol:
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
walkman4mba wrote:
bb wrote:
walkman4mba wrote:

Instead... If the moderators could regulate the posts of their respective forums to include the subject in the following format "Source Question" example "OG10 blah blah", "OG12 #47" and the best of the lot "GMATPrep blah blah" "Powerprep blah blah" "SC1000 #458" then using the search box present in each forum the user can filter to the relevant posts in a zippy.

So if my intend was to post an OG 12 SC doubt i could do a quick search of OG12 #47 or OG12 blah blah in the search box and be sure that this doubt has not been addressed already. On the same note people like me 2 days away from their GMAT can actually scan through the GMATprep doubts by running the simple search 'GMATPrep' through the search box.

What do you think? Worth some kudos.. :lol:

Sure. The challenge comes in with the fact that GMAT Prep has 900 questions. It will be more efficient for you to search for keywords from that question.
However, we do have a TAG Mod coming (this coming week), so hold your breath - it will allow to tag posts and thus will simplify searching.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13