Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
Wow, you guys are making me seriously consider taking the GMAT again. I got below 700, although not significantly. I only got a Q43 score, and unfortunately my Verbal wasnt enough to push me over the 700 barrier.

At the Kellogg info session I went to in Feb on campus, I asked whether K looks just at the overall GMAT score, or whether they also consider the split. I was told they place more emphasis on the Q score :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
pmenon wrote:
Wow, you guys are making me seriously consider taking the GMAT again. I got below 700, although not significantly. I only got a Q43 score, and unfortunately my Verbal wasnt enough to push me over the 700 barrier.

At the Kellogg info session I went to in Feb on campus, I asked whether K looks just at the overall GMAT score, or whether they also consider the split. I was told they place more emphasis on the Q score :(

What were your split percentages?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
pmenon wrote:

There's more to a successful application than a high GMAT. According to Kellogg's class profile for the class of 2010, 28% of the class had less than 700 on the GMAT. So while the majority do score above 700, there's a significant chunk that don't. Of course, if you feel you can do noticeably better than your current score you should take it again, but if I were choosing between an extra 20-30 pts on my GMAT (even if those 20-30 put me over the mythical 700 threshold), or spending extra time to put together really incredible essays, I'd focus on essays.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Here are the information I got so far.

Essay for Kellogg isn't going to change much this year. (this is from an unverifiable source)
Application has two parts (I did not know that)
1. Demographic data form, universities and professional schools attended ,your self-reporting score, recommender name, etc. After this part (due Oct 3 approx)you can request an interview
2. This part is where you have to submit your essays, transcript, resume etc. (due Oct 15 approx)

This is quite different from other schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
billyjeans wrote:

Essay for Kellogg isn't going to change much this year. (this is from an unverifiable source)
1. Demographic data form, universities and professional schools attended ,your self-reporting score, recommender name, etc. After this part (due Oct 3 approx)you can request an interview
2. This part is where you have to submit your essays, transcript, resume etc. (due Oct 15 approx)

Its actually a great system in my belief - it gives you tremendous flexibility on when to schedule the interview, what round you want to apply in, whether you want to do your interview or visit before or after you've written your essays for Kellogg.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
billyjeans wrote:

Note that the application charge is due with Part 1.
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
billyjeans wrote:

Here's the link to the Kellogg page that explains the 2 parts of the application. Note this is for the fall 2009 applications, so there may be changes for this year (and obv. the deadlines will change), but it gives a sense of what's part 1 vs. part 2.

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... lines.aspx
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
billyjeans wrote:

Also, if you are planning on interviewing on campus, you can submit part 1 same time as part 2 (approx Oct 15th). The earlier deadline for part 1 is only if you plan to choose an off-campus interview.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Thanks for everybody's input. And the official link!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I am in for R1, like I said in the Booth thread of this variety, good luck to you all. So far, this forum has been great, such a nice change of pace from the BW forum.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hmm, so do you think there is an advantage to interviewing before completing your application? Who conducts on campus interviews again?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I dont see an advantage with any interview for Kellogg. Oncampus vs off campus and prior to vs after application. You can't get a decision until you interview though so the earlier you do it the sooner you have the chance to get a decision. However, an early interview doesn't mean you will hear early...its still possible to you wont find out until decision day.

Kellogg admissions is going to be undergoing changes in response to their poor performance over the last few years with how they deal with people. I think the finally realized they are the face of the school to perspectives and if they aren't doing a great job people will think the rest of the school is like that...even though once you are here it has been 1000x better than all the stories about admissions. So for all we know interviewing may change, rolling out decisions may change...if we hear more in the fall you guys will definitely find out. They are going to really try to improve their events and visits.
VP
VP
Send PM
I think an easy improvement on the visits program would be to have students sitting in the admissions office to talk to the visiting students. Of course this means more work for students, and may require the school to move to a system of having people schedule visits in advance so they know when to have students there, but I think especially since the culture is seen as a differentiator for the school, the more exposure prospectives have to the students, the more chance they have to get a sense of the culture. When I visited (in October), in between events prospectives were left to either talk amongst themselves (if there were other prospectives there as well) or sit quietly and read the paper. Some of the other schools I visited had first years stationed in the admissions office, and it was a great chance to ask general questions about the school, community, workload, etc. outside of a tour setting.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
Hmm, so do you think there is an advantage to interviewing before completing your application? Who conducts on campus interviews again?

The only reason I would say that on-campus interviews are better than off-campus is because I think that (atleast for me) you can get more excited about a school and come off as more passionate when you are live and in person. Coming on-campus to interview brings everything about the school front and center in your mind and it becomes much easier to show your passion honestly.

I do agree with River though - from a pure admissions perspective - there is no difference between on-campus vs. off-campus interviewing. So if you think that you will interview the same in either scenario (or if you feel like you'd be more comfortable speaking with an alum rather than an admissions officer) then it really doesn't matter or could lean the other way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Add me to the list please! Looking forward to sharing my experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Totally agree with that! I actually put that point in the survey we were e-mailed a couple of days back.

Jerz wrote:
I think an easy improvement on the visits program would be to have students sitting in the admissions office to talk to the visiting students. Of course this means more work for students, and may require the school to move to a system of having people schedule visits in advance so they know when to have students there, but I think especially since the culture is seen as a differentiator for the school, the more exposure prospectives have to the students, the more chance they have to get a sense of the culture. When I visited (in October), in between events prospectives were left to either talk amongst themselves (if there were other prospectives there as well) or sit quietly and read the paper. Some of the other schools I visited had first years stationed in the admissions office, and it was a great chance to ask general questions about the school, community, workload, etc. outside of a tour setting.
Director
Director
Send PM
Updated front page with Essay links.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  136   
Moderators: