Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [38]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618692 [4]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane [#permalink]
I find 'B' the right option because, the passage is talking about earth's moon and not any other factor that might be involved in maintaining the stability of the planet, and it has been further supported by another example of the moon, of a different planet. The answer to this question should be the one which considers just this factor. So, if the Earth's moon leaves the orbit, then the stability of the planet would be disturbed.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane [#permalink]
Kudos
prinits wrote:
The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees. That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon. Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?
(A) If Mars had a sufficiently large nearby moon, Mars would be able to support life.
(B) If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life.
(C) Any planet with a stable, moderate axis tilt can support life.
(D) Gravitational influences other than moons have little or no effect on the magnitude of the tilt angle of either Earth’s or Mars’s axis.
(E) No planet that has more than one moon can support life.

I pick option D.

a) The argument talks about Earth, so Mars is irrelevant
b) It is rather the gravitational influence of the moon that helps keep the angle of roughly 23 degrees. Even though it's true that Earth's climate will be unable to support life when the moon leaves, there's also no guarantee that Earth's climate will continue to support life if the moon is still around. Other factors such as global warming can eventually lead the climate to harm life even when the moon is still around.
c) we don't know whether a stable, moderate axis on other planets can support life, but we do know at least that it is keeping life that already exists on earth.
D) Correct. The argument says, "That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon."
E) We only know about earth. A sample can not represent the whole population. What works for earth may not necessarily works for other planets.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
Don't agree.

tarek99 wrote:
b) It is rather the gravitational influence of the moon that helps keep the angle of roughly 23 degrees. Even though it's true that Earth's climate will be unable to support life when the moon leaves, there's also no guarantee that Earth's climate will continue to support life if the moon is still around. Other factors such as global warming can eventually lead the climate to harm life even when the moon is still around.

The option is just talking about life, in case moon leaves. Its not talking about what happens otherwise.

tarek99 wrote:
D) Correct. The argument says, "That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon."

Th option says "little or no effect on the magnitude ...." whereas argument says "That angle can be kept fairly stable ONLY by the gravitational influence ....", so "little effect" is out.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
oh! I see it now! Option D also talks about Mars, which I've completely missed
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Kudos
tarek99 wrote:
oh! I see it now! Option D also talks about Mars, which I've completely missed

yes, but even argument also talks about moons on Mars - "Mars, for example, has only very small moons,", but what I feel is its the auther's extreme language by using "only" in the sentence "That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon". That means that author is saying there is no other gravitational force responsible for this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
B for me too.
If we say A ==> B, (A leads to B) then the best test is to see whether
B still exists in the absence of A....
That way, we eliminate other causal factors.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
Whats wong with C?

It is just a paraphased part of the stimulus:
The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees. That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon. Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life.

Experts please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ykaiim wrote:
Whats wong with C?

It is just a paraphased part of the stimulus:

Experts please explain.

Even I was looking for C as the answer but soon realized that statement mentions that Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt, a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life. but does not mentiones that this is not the only reason to support life so if any other planet is having stable and moderate axis tilt but does not have other supportive condition then it does not help.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 1031 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 2: 660
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
I picked D after narrowing down to B & D. I agree that B should be the answer but I don't like it as the question didn't say anything about the earth's orbit. Doesn't sound like a good GMAT question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
prinits wrote:

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true on the basis of them?

(A) If Mars had a sufficiently large nearby moon, Mars would be able to support life.
(B) If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life.
(D) Gravitational influences other than moons have little or no effect on the magnitude of the tilt angle of either Earth’s or Mars’s axis.

the options B says "If Earth’s Moon were to leave Earth’s orbit", How can we assume that the Earth's moon is the large nearby moon ?? It could be any small moon right ?? Please explain !!!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63651 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sumanainampudi wrote:
the options B says "If Earth???s Moon were to leave Earth???s orbit", How can we assume that the Earth's moon is the large nearby moon ?? It could be any small moon right ?? Please explain !!!

The passage references "Earth’s large, nearby Moon." Sure, technically speaking, it is possible that the Earth has several smaller moons and the passage is only referring, in this case, to the "large, nearby" moon. But notice that a capital "M" is used in "Earth's Moon", and a lowercase "M" is used to refer to the "small moons" of Mars. A proper noun is used to refer to the Earth's Moon because we are referring to a specific astronomical body with a name (the Moon).

This same specific astronomical body is referenced again in choice (B). If the Earth had several smaller moons and the author wanted choice (B) to include any of those moons, it would have been: "If any of the Earth’s moon's (lowercase "m") were to leave Earth’s orbit, Earth’s climate would be unable to support life." More importantly, the other options can be eliminated using process of elimination.

Also, even though you shouldn't let reality get in the way of your GMAT, the GMAT won't ask you to swallow facts that contradict common knowledge... so don't lose too much sleep over the Earth's "smaller moons", unless you know something about astronomy that I don't!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane [#permalink]

Premise: The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane of its orbit at an angle of roughly 23 degrees.
Premise: That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon.
Conclusion: Without such a stable and moderate axis tilt (necessary condition), a planet’s climate is too extreme and unstable to support life (sufficient condition).
Additional Premise: Mars, for example, has only very small moons, tilts at wildly fluctuating angles, and cannot support life.

The author argues that the angle of rotation (which is kept stable with the pull of the moon) is what make a planet’s climate able to support life. It then gives an example of Mars, which has wild tilts, and cannot support life. Overall, author concludes axis tilt necessary to support life.

To be correct, we’d have to assume that the “largeness” of the moon dictates ability to keep angle….and therefore support life.

Correct. Argument says stable angle —> moon’s pull exists. No stable angle —> no life. (B) says no moon (no angle) —> no life.

Too extreme. “Any” planet might have other problems that can’t support life.

We don’t care about influences other than moons….this is a support the information in the stimuli!

Well, this can’t be true. What if the planet has more than one moon but those moons happen to tilt the planet just enough to keep it stable?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Why not A as the answer?
I have tried eliminating it by the reasoning that since the stimulus specifically discusses about earth and mars is just an example.
Another method of reasoning is appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
D4498 wrote:
Why not A as the answer?
I have tried eliminating it by the reasoning that since the stimulus specifically discusses about earth and mars is just an example.
Another method of reasoning is appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device

A is incorrect because in Mars case it has other moons too and it is nowhere stated in the passage that if Mars had a large moon nearby it would support life. That's what you are assuming but there's no support from the passage that says so.

In case of option C, It has been clearly stated that Earth can support life because it has a right tilt because of Moon's gravitational force. Hence, Earth cannot support life if there's no Moon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Hi Bunuel, GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma

I am having trouble understanding the usage can vs would vs will in this question. Cons of reading too literally. :shh:
Could you please help me out here, please?

The way Bunuel has dealt with the question is efficient, but it leaves out will vs can discussion. So maybe it is not important, but I would like to understand if this something is worth fretting about.

The passage says:

That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon.

So can we infer the following:
If a large moon is present nearby, then the axis can be kept fairly stable.

Please notice that I am not saying:
If a large moon is present nearby, then the axis would/will be kept fairly stable.

According to you guys, is there a difference between the 2 statements above? The way I see how answer choices A and B are laid out, they are using would or will instead of can.

I have been taught that will = 100% certainty and can = ability to do something but not necessarily probable or guaranteed.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thank you!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhola wrote:
Hi Bunuel, GMATNinja, VeritasKarishma

I am having trouble understanding the usage can vs would vs will in this question. Cons of reading too literally. :shh:
Could you please help me out here, please?

The way Bunuel has dealt with the question is efficient, but it leaves out will vs can discussion. So maybe it is not important, but I would like to understand if this something is worth fretting about.

The passage says:

That angle can be kept fairly stable only by the gravitational influence of Earth’s large, nearby Moon.

So can we infer the following:
If a large moon is present nearby, then the axis can be kept fairly stable.

Please notice that I am not saying:
If a large moon is present nearby, then the axis would/will be kept fairly stable.

According to you guys, is there a difference between the 2 statements above? The way I see how answer choices A and B are laid out, they are using would or will instead of can.

I have been taught that will = 100% certainty and can = ability to do something but not necessarily probable or guaranteed.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thank you!

abhola - I am not sure I understand your doubt.
You are correct in saying that "can" shows ability and "will" shows certainty. "would" shows certainty in a hypothetical situation.
The use of "can" and "will/would" is appropriate in the argument and in the options (as explained above).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
The axis of Earth’s daily rotation is tilted with respect to the plane [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
abhola - I am not sure I understand your doubt.
You are correct in saying that "can" shows ability and "will" shows certainty. "would" shows certainty in a hypothetical situation.
The use of "can" and "will/would" is appropriate in the argument and in the options (as explained above).

Hi VeritasKarishma,

My doubt is around the usage of 'only' and 'will vs can vs would'.

We are given the following statement in the passage:

From this statement, could you please let me know which one of the below statements would be a valid inference?

Statement #1: If a large moon is present nearby, then the earth's axis can be kept fairly stable.

Here I am using 'can', and not 'would', meaning I am dealing with just the possibilities, not the certainty. So can I say #1, even though it looks like 'mistaken reversal' can be a valid inference?

Statement #2: If a large moon is present nearby, then the earth's axis would/will be kept fairly stable.

I think as you mentioned in the explanation of Choice A, this is most likely incorrect.

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts