Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Re: I just finished going over the RC book. Most of the [#permalink]
I usually read it for 3 to 3:30 thorughly and then answer the questions. Of course, I go back to passage from time to time, especially when there is some question that address something specific into the passage.

But skimming of a passage - no, I've found this tecnique extremely uncomfortable for me. It could help for some other tests, but im GMAT, and especially LSAT, passages are brutal. They have mid-pasus that is real brain fryer. Twisted upside-down, you often cannot catch what is the cause and what is the consequence. I really haven't found skimming helpful - quite opposite.
Current Student
Send PM
Pathfinder wrote:
I usually read it for 3 to 3:30 thorughly and then answer the questions. Of course, I go back to passage from time to time, especially when there is some question that address something specific into the passage.

But skimming of a passage - no, I've found this tecnique extremely uncomfortable for me. It could help for some other tests, but im GMAT, and especially LSAT, passages are brutal. They have mid-pasus that is real brain fryer. Twisted upside-down, you often cannot catch what is the cause and what is the consequence. I really haven't found skimming helpful - quite opposite.

i see what you are saying. Before reading the guide i was also reading the passage thoroughly taking little notes and try to solve the questions.... not that good obviously. Do you use some of their elimination techniques like the scoring system or whatnot?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I agree with Path...I tried skimming technique and I found it un-workable for me. I too practiced reading the whole passage fast..like 2 minutes...making mental note of relevant info and position, and areas that have common GMAT RC tricks (like meaning of a complex word/theory...after you practice you can get this sense).

Eventually I was getting most difficult questions correct and with SC, was consistently my highest score on simulated CATS....(but I failed to deliver during actual GMAT, when I lost confidence in my score....)

So IMO..practice and figure out what method works best for you...then do tons of Qs to build up stamina...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I tried reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph and paraphrasing with notes, but I found myself spending more time with no improvement in accuracy. Personally, I'd rather nail SC and CR questions in under 60 seconds to build up a bigger time bank for RC. Like others that have posted, I read the passage in under 3 minutes.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
I tried reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph and paraphrasing with notes, but I found myself spending more time with no improvement in accuracy. Personally, I'd rather nail SC and CR questions in under 60 seconds to build up a bigger time bank for RC. Like others that have posted, I read the passage in under 3 minutes.

I agree...I think you can bank extra time for RC with efficiencies in SC/CR questions...
Current Student
Send PM
do you guys feel the passages gets harder (harder to understand, harder vocabs etc.) as the difficulties rise or just the questions themselves? The book says just longer and the sample passages it had werent that bad at all
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IMO....I feel the difficulty of a RC section is determined by the passage...the complexity of subject, density of concepts, etc...

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts