Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink]
In for R1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Will apply to Chicago in Round 2 (unless MIT, Stan , Harvard or Wharton show me love and make it a merrier christmas). :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Send PM
Maybe I can reverse-jinx myself, since I am still on the summer waitlist for 2009, but barring miraculous good news I will be a re-applicant for R1.

My challenges will be
1) Forcing myself to take the GMAT again
2) Avoiding too much overlap in the letters of Rec and PPT

I have to assume they think I'm a good fit, I'm just not sure what I'm missing (besides a bad quant score on GMAT and a brutal admissions year) that kept me out. I'd like to take the approach with the essays to clarify goals and share my philosophy on management and finance, but not sure if this is too heady.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:

I would think this is a good thing. If your letters of Rec match your own discription of yourself, it probably shows that you understand yourself very well.

BTW Goodluck!! there's always hope!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:

I would think this is a good thing. If your letters of Rec match your own discription of yourself, it probably shows that you understand yourself very well.

BTW Goodluck!! there's always hope!

I mean overlap from the prior year's application. I've had a number of new and challenging professional experiences, but with the same people I used for recs last year, so I don't know how much else they will have to add that they didn't say last year.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
ROLL CALL PAGE UPDATED
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Off to Italy today for 25 days - will have limited access while I'm there, most likely PMs replied to when I return.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Off to Italy today for 25 days - will have limited access while I'm there, most likely PMs replied to when I return.

have fun rhyme!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Booth, Wharton, Columbia, Kelley
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Anyone know of any formal or informal summer events? I live in Chicago and would love to meet up with some current Booth students and learn more about day-to-day life at the school (and maybe enjoy some cold refreshments). Any thoughts? Did I miss the post where someone is already talking about this?
Current Student
Send PM
Here's the page from the Booth website: https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admissions/events/northamerica.aspx

Looks like the dates for the summer events aren't up, but I'd keep checking. I think last year, I found out in early July about the summer events. I ended up attending a student-hosted event in end of July/early August.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
did you feel the student hosted events were sufficient to get a feel for the school? or did visiting the campus bring another perspective?
Current Student
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
did you feel the student hosted events were sufficient to get a feel for the school? or did visiting the campus bring another perspective?

I thought they were sufficient. To me, facilities/location didn't matter that much. And all the top schools have great professors, so that was the same everywhere. So it was more important to meet my future classmates, and see what they were like, and hear their perspectives.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Essays and Deadlines for Booth 2010. I can edit the first post to add this in if desired, but I wasn't sure what the proper etiquette is for editing other people's posts.

2010 Application Essay Questions
https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admissions/essays_slides.aspx

Essays
1. How did you choose your most recent job/internship and how did this experience influence your future goals? What about the Chicago Booth MBA makes you feel it is the next best step in your career at this time? (750-1000 words)

1a. FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: Upon reflection, how has your thinking regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since
the time of your last application? (250 words)

2. Please choose one of the following (500 - 750 words):
Describe a time when you wish you could have retracted something you said or did. When did you realize your mistake and how did you handle the situation?
-or-
Describe a time when you were surprised by feedback that you received. What was the feedback and why were you surprised?

Slide Presentation
We have asked for a great deal of information throughout this application and now invite you to tell us about yourself. In four slides or less please answer the following question: What have you not already shared in your application that you would like your future classmates to know about you?

We have set forth the following guidelines for you to consider when creating your presentation.
* The content is completely up to you. There is no right or wrong approach to this essay.
* Feel free to use the software you are most comfortable with. Acceptable formats for upload in the online application system are PowerPoint or PDF.
* There is a strict maximum of 4 slides, though you can provide fewer than 4 if you choose.
* Slides will be printed and added to your file for review, therefore, flash, hyperlinks, embedded videos, music, etc. will not be viewed by the committee. You are limited to text and static images to convey your points. Color may be used.
* Slides will be evaluated on the quality of content and ability to convey your ideas, not on technical expertise or presentation.
* You are welcome to attach a document containing notes if you feel a deeper explanation of your slides is necessary. However the hope is the slide is able to stand alone and convey your ideas clearly. You will not be penalized for adding notes but you should not construct a slide with the intention of using the notes section as a consistent means of explanation.

Optional Essay
If there is any important information that is relevant for your candidacy that you were unable to address elsewhere in the application, please share that information here.

2010 Deadlines
Round 1
Deadline: October 14, 2009
Mid-Decision Date: November 11, 2009
Decision date: December 22, 2009

Round 2
Deadline: January 6, 2010
Mid-Decision Date: February 17, 2010
Decision date: March 24, 2010

Round 3
Deadline: March 10, 2010
Mid-Decision Date: April 21, 2010
Decision date: May 12, 2010
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Booth, Wharton, Columbia, Kelley
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Wow, I didn't expect them to be released this early. I'm going to continue to focus on Kellogg and Wharton in the near term, because I think I use some of the content from those essays on Booth's. These don't seem too bad, though. Good luck everyone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Once again booth provides that killer 2nd question.

As for the powerpoint.......try to show your uniqueness here. The powerpoint (IMO) is the tiebreaker between 2 otherwise equal apps. What are your hobbies? Interests? What is your life story? This is not the place for bland professional accomplishments.

Choose a theme for your slides.......past , present , future?.... Goals 1, 2 ,3 4 ..... or use different types of animals and use that as a starting point to describe you...... Bird - talk about your love of flying planes etc ......... cheetah, youre a big nascar fan and have been to the indy 500 every year over the past 5 years.

They are looking for interesting unique traits that make you stand out. Do not repeat your resume here.

Good luck and hope to see you guys next fall
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
isa wrote:
unhedged wrote:

I thought they were sufficient. To me, facilities/location didn't matter that much. And all the top schools have great professors, so that was the same everywhere. So it was more important to meet my future classmates, and see what they were like, and hear their perspectives.

I think I learned the most information from the student hosted events as well.

However , visiting campus showed me how beautiful the booth facilities are and how organized the booth administration which is a plus.

Isa is just saying the facilities don't matter much because she's going to kellogg right?? :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
I plan to apply R2!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  135   
Moderators: