Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: GM / Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Darden, Stern
 Q41  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Retail, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
ROLL CALL Page Updated
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Columbia Business School, NYU
 Q48  V42
Send PM
put me down too plz
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? Tell us what actions you have taken to learn about us.

What would help me in answering this Q?

Campus visit,info sessions??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
R2 here

Originally posted by snipertrader on 30 Jun 2009, 05:59.
Last edited by snipertrader on 22 Jan 2010, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Kudos
I would focus on
- online and offline research
- talk to current students or alumni
- visit Stern or any of the fairs or receptions hosted by them

Should give you enough ammo!
Cheers

Class2012 wrote:
Quote:
(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? Tell us what actions you have taken to learn about us.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
Essay#2 is probably the hardest question on the Stern application. Be careful, you'll need to answer three distinct questions within 500 words.

To demonstrate your personal experience with the Stern community, if you can help it at all, do not talk about reading the school website and such. Reach out to people, explain why you sought them out and how they were able to offer insight into Stern. As far as this part of the essay is concerned, discussing the initiative taken to have more personal interaction probably has more impact than generic online and offline research.

snipertrader wrote:
I would focus on
- online and offline research
- talk to current students or alumni
- visit Stern or any of the fairs or receptions hosted by them

Should give you enough ammo!
Cheers

Class2012 wrote:
Quote:

Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
I had the same line of thinking as you Solaris. To answer all three questions in 500 words is kind of hard. You have to be really concise and to the point. If you don't mind answering, I wanted your opinion on a personal situation. I applied last year to NYU's part-time program with a lower gmat score and got dinged. Should I bring this up when I answer this part of the question? or should I save that for the optional essay? On one hand, I could use the limited space for "better" content. On the other, it is an issue that I should address. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
VP
VP
Kudos
I would not bring up last year's PT program application in this essay at all xlick. Talk about it in the optional essay, but make sure you explain what has changed this year and led you to consider a full-time program.

By all means use the limited space for as you say, better content.

xlick wrote:
I had the same line of thinking as you Solaris. To answer all three questions in 500 words is kind of hard. You have to be really concise and to the point. If you don't mind answering, I wanted your opinion on a personal situation. I applied last year to NYU's part-time program with a lower gmat score and got dinged. Should I bring this up when I answer this part of the question? or should I save that for the optional essay? On one hand, I could use the limited space for "better" content. On the other, it is an issue that I should address. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Awesome thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Tips to maximize your campus visits - https://www.spike.com/video/episode-8-campus/2878355
Current Student
Send PM
Quote:
Essay 3 Personal Expression
Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

Any thoughts on how to answer this one? Should I show that I bring in some unique experiences?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
Quote:
Essay 3 Personal Expression
Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

Any thoughts on how to answer this one? Should I show that I bring in some unique experiences?

Definitely! Throughout your application, you should be thinking: does this demonstrate how I'm unique? what value I would add to the class?

I think it's a great opportunity to show how you'd enrich the lives of your classmates and even have an impact on the school.

PS I didn't apply to Stern, this is just general advice.
PPS Solaris1: correct me if this doesn't make sense!
Current Student
Send PM
Quote:
I think it's a great opportunity to show how you'd enrich the lives of your classmates and even have an impact on the school.

The second essays too asks about the impact.

Quote:
(c) How do you anticipate making your mark on the Stern community? Be specific about the roles you will take on and the impact you hope to achieve.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Quote:

The second essays too asks about the impact.

Yes it does. I guess if I was approaching this app, I'd break it down a bit - spend more time in essay 2 talking about how I'd impact Stern, essay 3 on who I am, and why my being a part of the class would enrich the lives of my classmates. I'd also make essay 3 fun, add some details on my interests/passions/etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
OK, essay three. Look at you application to that point - it is boring stuff about careers, boring stuff about career goals and some stated intentions of how you would fit in at the school and proving you do actually know things about the school (ie - aren't going to email students about whether there is a J-term, an early notification or any other thing that every student knows is something about Columbia).

Focus on yourself! If essay 3 can't be something out with the rest of your application, you are a seriously boring person. Talk about hobbies (you don't *have* to do something creative, at least a third do essays) - if you can try to make your interest and passion in them come to life through images, materials or whatever.

Essay 2 is research. And is back to what it was a few years ago - they both used to be 500 words then too. Get used to getting to the point (though, from this, you can kind of tell that I never did, or more learned to edit a lot more than I might)
VP
VP
Kudos
Right, exactly what 3underscore said.

You as an individual are obviously multidimensional (I'm like the most boring person on the board and even I consider myself that!) and essay 3 is simply stated, an opportunity to talk about yourself. Interpret it exactly as a conversation between you and your future classmates. You've already made a strong case for yourself as an MBA candidate through essays 1 and 2, your resume as well as the rest of your application. What else is there to you? Obviously the emphasis still needs to be what will make you stand out as being unique, but you have enormous leeway on what you can say or do here.

And an essay response to this question is perfectly OK. Sometimes applicants feel that's a bit too drab and a fancy presentation or collage in the form of a puzzle is what would be appropriate and expected, but that's not true. I wrote an essay response (granted, not in the form of an essay per se) and it worked out quite well.

I didn't talk about NYU Stern at all in my essay! Think about it, when you first meet your future classmates, would you talk to them first about you and your story? Or why you chose NYU Stern over three other schools and the impact you'd made at work and elsewhere.

Once you actually get down to it, this is the easiest essay of the three in the application. In hindsight the admissions process at NYU Stern is so pleasantly unique as compared to a lot of other schools, you're never hit with ridiculous questions about leadership impact (if this at all then it's related to the school community) or management style or ethical dilemmas and such. Even the interview treats you more like a unique individual as opposed to a budding "business leader of tomorrow."
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V42
Send PM
I already have my essay 3 planned since March. It is going to be a photo collage. Are they common for this type of essay?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  54