Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [7]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Send PM
Re: 740 (Q50, V40) - My journey [#permalink]
Thanks guys
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
Hey, Awsome score, and your debrief is inspiring and very informative. Good luck with your apps!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks ventivish, appreciate the feedback
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Got my AWA score - 5.5 (80%). Right about where I expected it, but the 80 percentile part is a little surprising.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
2 incognito

which level you started from? I mean what was you performance at the very beginning? did you have strong background in math or verbal part?

would apreciate any response
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kazakhb wrote:
2 incognito

which level you started from? I mean what was you performance at the very beginning? did you have strong background in math or verbal part?

would apreciate any response

kazakhb, I had a good handle on math before I started. My strategy was to brush up on math concepts (by spending an hour or so revising key topics) and then solve a lot of CATs and challenges.

Most of my preparation went into verbal, as that was my weakness. I found SCs to be my major weakness, but CRs and RCs were no strengths. I attribute my verbal score increase (mid-30s to ~40) to this preparation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi incognito 1,
was wondering when you recommended the powerscore LSAT logical reasoning bible, did you actually use it? How similar/different is it from the Powerscore GMAT Critical reasoning bible?
I found a post saying the two were similar and another one that says the two are completely different.
I would appreciate your comments.
Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ventivish wrote:
Hi incognito 1,
was wondering when you recommended the powerscore LSAT logical reasoning bible, did you actually use it? How similar/different is it from the Powerscore GMAT Critical reasoning bible?
I found a post saying the two were similar and another one that says the two are completely different.
I would appreciate your comments.
Thank you.

ventivish, I scanned through the powerscore LSAT logical reasoning bible and found it to be informative. But since CR was not my major weakness, I didn't feel the need to go through something as comprehensive as this guide. I read up the first 50 pages or so, and that gave me the baseline I needed. I imagine the rest are details for fine-tuning your skills (how to approach different kinds of stems, stimulus etc). So if someone is consistently getting a low score on CRs (less than 50% for example) or finds this to be his only major weakness in verbal, I would strongly recommend it, as the ROI can be significant.

I hear it's similar to the GMAT Critical reasoning one, but maybe someone who has compared both can confirm.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback. I probably will scan the book as well, do not want to miss out on useful resources. I have 1.5 month left for my exam so I guess i have time.
Once again thankyou!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [0]
Send PM
Hey incognito1 ,
congrats on ur score :musband :good
Ur post is really informative !!740 is good !!!
one thing i would like to know is are the questions in GMAT from OG

since today i gave GMATprep2 and all the questions were from OG only
,is it suggested that we should give the test again ,twice since we will get same questions !!

yah one more thing can u give last moment tips of preparation just 2 days before GMAT!!!
congrats and all the very best for ur applications !!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
spriya wrote:
Hey incognito1 ,

,is it suggested that we should give the test again ,twice since we will get same questions !!

yah one more thing can u give last moment tips of preparation just 2 days before GMAT!!!

Thanks spriya. GMATPrep does use some questions from OG. Also, if you're doing it more than once, you're definitely going to see some repeats. You will merely have to discount these in your final score calculation. My recommendation is to track how many repeats you get in all 5 areas and subtract only the ones you got correct (since sometimes we get repeats wrong too!) For instance, I scored a 760 on both my repeat GMATPreps but had about 7-8 repeats in each; if you discount these, you land up close to my actual score. I'm sure that this is not always the case, but I've seen it work for quite a few people.

Entering the exam, I felt I was going to score somewhere around 720 but it turned out to be better. I think realistic expectations are important. It's disappointing to prepare for a 650 and wishfully hope for a 750+, and end up scoring a... 650. Yes, we all wish to a certain extent but I think it's important to remain grounded as far as possible. So I would recommend adjusting expectations accordingly (for better or otherwise)

Two days before preparation, I took a GMATPrep test end-to-end with the AWA. I then spent the rest of the day analyzing my mistakes from this test. One day before preparation, I went over major math concepts, idioms and some difficult problems. I was quite anxious on this day, but on d-day, I felt just fine.

Good luck to you with the test. Let me know if I can help with any other questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [0]
Send PM
incognito1 wrote:
spriya wrote:
Hey incognito1 ,

Thanks spriya. GMATPrep does use some questions from OG. Also, if you're doing it more than once, you're definitely going to see some repeats. You will merely have to discount these in your final score calculation. My recommendation is to track how many repeats you get in all 5 areas and subtract only the ones you got correct (since sometimes we get repeats wrong too!) For instance, I scored a 760 on both my repeat GMATPreps but had about 7-8 repeats in each; if you discount these, you land up close to my actual score. I'm sure that this is not always the case, but I've seen it work for quite a few people.

Entering the exam, I felt I was going to score somewhere around 720 but it turned out to be better. I think realistic expectations are important. It's disappointing to prepare for a 650 and wishfully hope for a 750+, and end up scoring a... 650. Yes, we all wish to a certain extent but I think it's important to remain grounded as far as possible. So I would recommend adjusting expectations accordingly (for better or otherwise)

Two days before preparation, I took a GMATPrep test end-to-end with the AWA. I then spent the rest of the day analyzing my mistakes from this test. One day before preparation, I went over major math concepts, idioms and some difficult problems. I was quite anxious on this day, but on d-day, I felt just fine.

Good luck to you with the test. Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

Oh yes thank u so much
ll let u know once im done with the test !!
:)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great news! Congrats and good luck with your application! :beer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Schools:Life
Send PM
Awesome debrief! congrats!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Congrats... wish you all the best with ur applications...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q49  V29 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
Send PM
Congratulations!!

I really appreciate your contribution. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Hey incognito - That's an awesome score 50Q is just fantastic .. keep up the good work and prepare a good application package. As always the GC community is here to help. Good luck for the rest of the app journey.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts