Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Need profile evaluation [#permalink]
mnk,

I consider UCLA and Duke "reach" or "long-shot" schools for you, not "dream" or "hail Mary" schools. Your GMAT score is not so bad. Your age and work experience is probably a bigger issue than your GMAT score. If you can make a good case why you need an MBA now, define your post-MBA goals well, effectively showcase your leadership and a "fast-track" career pace, write good essays, and get enthusiastic, example-heavy reco letters then you should have a decent chance at Kelley, USC, and Emory. These schools are more doable than UCLA and Duke, and CMU is somewhere between these schools and UCLA / Duke in doability.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much Paul!!This is has been of great help!

i guess il stop worrying abt my gmat score and work on other stuff..

One more thing.. I came across this MBA school in France called ESSEC.. any thoughts on it?Is it a good option for me?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ESSEC would be a great place to go if you wanted to work in France. If you want to work outside of Europe, you could get into schools that have a more global brand.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much!

As i had mentioned earlier, I am interested in pursuing Marketing as my specialization, specifically Consumer Marketing and Branding. Many people say that it is difficult for international students to get placed in consumer marketing jobs.Is this true?
If so, would mentioning my interests at the time of application work against me as all B schools look at whether a student can be placed, during admissions?

How do schools view applicants who say they are not looking to get placed and would like to return to their home country?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
mnk,

I have no specific information on the special difficulty international graduates face in getting placed in Consumer Marketing and Branding positions. I'm sure it has a lot to do the specific experience and quality of the graduate (visa issues aside). That is, if you have begun building a network in the local industry and begun to establish your knowledge of it, you may not encounter special obstacles. Since I don't know which industries as a rule are more open to international MBAs, I can't say whether you should present different goals in your MBA application. It is definitely true that schools do take into account the feasibility of an applicant's goals in terms of placement. So if you have information that makes your actual post-MBA goal seem less feasible given your international origin, then, yes, you could consider stating goals that are more realistic from a placement standpoint. Just make sure these goals make sense vis-a-vis your CV, that you convincingly explain how you arrived at these goals, and that you do your homework so these goals sound plausible.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Paul.. will have to work on this one...Anny suggestions on whre I could get more info on this..?? It would be of great help..

Thanks again...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
You could review Business Week's material on placement stats for each school, but your best bet would probably be to contact the schools themselves and ask them the questions you asked me.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Paul! I'll do that...
thanks for all the advice you have been giving me so far..its been extremely useful.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
You're welcome.
GMAT Club Bot