Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Have a Suggestion? Post It Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Improving GMAT Club Test Answers - master threads listing discussions of all topics:

can-we-have-one-sticky-for-each-test-questions-discussion-72543.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Product Management
Schools:Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU
 Q47  V41
Send PM
It would be great to have a gmatclub iPhone app
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
cozmo8 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion!

Do you mean similar to this one: iphone-ipod-touch-gmatclub-app-78221.html? :-D

If you want to try the beta - read the instructions in the link above and send me your device ID (40 characters). Would appreciate any comments about the features and suggestions to improve.

BB.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Product Management
Schools:Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU
 Q47  V41
Send PM
bb wrote:
cozmo8 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion!

Do you mean similar to this one: iphone-ipod-touch-gmatclub-app-78221.html? :-D

If you want to try the beta - read the instructions in the link above and send me your device ID (40 characters). Would appreciate any comments about the features and suggestions to improve.

BB.

Sweet...thats what I am talking about :) I PM'd you my ID...would love to try it out
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
It would be great if I could download a particular thread in a word document or pdf.
what do you guys think?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
seofah wrote:
It would be great if I could download a particular thread in a word document or pdf.
what do you guys think?

There is currently a way to do that. It is a 2-step process:

1. Click Print View at the top of the thread (screenshot below attached)
2. Print it to your favorite PDF writer such as PDF Factory Pro.
Attachments

print_view.gif
print_view.gif [ 14.5 KiB | Viewed 9775 times ]

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I proposed the same thing some time ago, but it seems I've done it in the wrong place - in the Off topic forum. Now I'll try my luck here.

I would like to propose that we create separate subforum for TOEFL. At present, international applicants ar forced to use some other forums. While some of the forums are good, they just don't look nice and I'm not used to interface. In addition, I preffer to discuss this topic with "familiar" people, people I'm already speaking with on various subjects regarding MBA applications.

I know there is many "cons" to my propsal and that one of the major would be that this is the forum that has GMAT in the focus. That way, I understand you are trying to stay focused and do one job (GMAT) well instead of trying to perform many tasks but none successfuly.

Well, GMATclub has grown up, it has overgrown GMAT and became a real Business school forum instead of just single exam forum. In that sense, I think it would be wise to have everything one needs to enter b-school in one place, instead to have many members that are forced to look for other forums for some important issues. TOEFL is certainly such an issue for ever growing number of international students.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
I proposed the same thing some time ago, but it seems I've done it in the wrong place - in the Off topic forum. Now I'll try my luck here.

I would like to propose that we create separate subforum for TOEFL. At present, international applicants ar forced to use some other forums. While some of the forums are good, they just don't look nice and I'm not used to interface. In addition, I preffer to discuss this topic with "familiar" people, people I'm already speaking with on various subjects regarding MBA applications.

I know there is many "cons" to my propsal and that one of the major would be that this is the forum that has GMAT in the focus. That way, I understand you are trying to stay focused and do one job (GMAT) well instead of trying to perform many tasks but none successfuly.

Well, GMATclub has grown up, it has overgrown GMAT and became a real Business school forum instead of just single exam forum. In that sense, I think it would be wise to have everything one needs to enter b-school in one place, instead to have many members that are forced to look for other forums for some important issues. TOEFL is certainly such an issue for ever growing number of international students.

Thank you for reposting it here. I did not see the other thread.
This is a valid point. Many students here also need to take TOEFL.
What is the best place for the TOEFL Forum? In the GMAT Section? Should we start it out as a subforum?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Yes, I also think GMAT section is the most appropriate. We could start it as a subforum and see how much attention it will get. Depending on it, we could "assign" the forum status to it or remove it if there is no interest for it (which I doubt will be the case since at least 30% of applicants are internationals and, therefore, obliged to take the test).

Thank you very much, bb on quick response to this proposal.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
Yes, I also think GMAT section is the most appropriate. We could start it as a subforum and see how much attention it will get. Depending on it, we could "assign" the forum status to it or remove it if there is no interest for it (which I doubt will be the case since at least 30% of applicants are internationals and, therefore, obliged to take the test).

Thank you very much, bb on quick response to this proposal.

No - thank YOU for the proposal - it is an obvious one. Let me put this for a vote with Moderators and I should be back on this in a couple of days next week (enough time to give folks to voice their opinion).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
GMAT club 'chat' option is almost invisible. It was difficult to spot it even after spotting the thread.

The current place of 'Chat now' is good, just change in font/font size or anything that could make it noticeable is enough. Chat is often good for networking.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Can we have just one thread in Math & Verbal section for answering & solving problems ? We can have one thread for PS, one for DS in respective section & similarly three others for Verbal Section.

After 3-4 months, this will be a repository of questions & answers. People can access this thread to practice.

Every new thread for a problem contains very less value for whole community. Besides, it's not friendly to access a new thread for every new problem, if I am practicing. This will even help in reducing the repetition.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
alpeshvc wrote:
Can we have just one thread in Math & Verbal section for answering & solving problems ? We can have one thread for PS, one for DS in respective section & similarly three others for Verbal Section.

After 3-4 months, this will be a repository of questions & answers. People can access this thread to practice.

Every new thread for a problem contains very less value for whole community. Besides, it's not friendly to access a new thread for every new problem, if I am practicing. This will even help in reducing the repetition.

Thank you for the suggestion - this is a very new idea.

Can you please outline what value it will have compared to the current system of one thread per question? I am not sure what would motivate this change.

Also have you seen this done on any other forums/discussion boards (any type, not necessarily GMAT)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

Can you please outline what value it will have compared to the current system of one thread per question? I am not sure what would motivate this change.

Also have you seen this done on any other forums/discussion boards (any type, not necessarily GMAT)

See, currently for every problem user opens a new thread. Just after a day or two, it does not have any value. Though, that problem is solved by 3-4 people, after a day or two that thread becomes pretty old & I doubt if anyone cares to check old threads. Most of the people would be looking on threads of Page-1 only.

Now, making a dedicated thread for, let's say, PS section, I can have all PS problems in one single thread. People who have queries can put their examples there. Also, if there are any good questions that help us understand basic concepts, we can put them there.

The discussion & detailed explanation of problems is something that adds value. It will be about thinking process. I guess a lot people can help from this. :D

Also, it will reduce server space required. :)

Yes, I have seen it on other forums. I will PM you the links. I am active member of that forum too. :P
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
alpeshvc wrote:
bb wrote:

See, currently for every problem user opens a new thread. Just after a day or two, it does not have any value. Though, that problem is solved by 3-4 people, after a day or two that thread becomes pretty old & I doubt if anyone cares to check old threads. Most of the people would be looking on threads of Page-1 only.

Now, making a dedicated thread for, let's say, PS section, I can have all PS problems in one single thread. People who have queries can put their examples there. Also, if there are any good questions that help us understand basic concepts, we can put them there.

The discussion & detailed explanation of problems is something that adds value. It will be about thinking process. I guess a lot people can help from this. :D

Also, it will reduce server space required. :)

Yes, I have seen it on other forums. I will PM you the links. I am active member of that forum too. :P

Thank you again. My kudos are yours.
I am trying to wrap my mind around the idea and see the core value (besides just being another way to organize posts). Thank you for the PM and links. Help me understand if I am not getting something. I can definitely see that approach as a preference but struggling to see the big value - as you know people resist change (myself included) and there needs to be a clear benefit that will justify the inconvenience of re-learning.

In my mind having 1,000 pages in a thread is pretty similar to having 1,000 threads, though with pages it is a bit more difficult since with threads we can bump them up, keep discussions in one place, and not have discussions on 10 questions at the same time. We can also link to them easier and create threads like these: combinations-permutations-and-probability-references-56486.html

Please - point me in the right direction if I am missing something.

Slightly off-topic:
There are also a few other elements that work better with Threads rather than posts such as Tags. We have plans to add Tags to the forum and tag individual questions by subject and difficulty, so during posting a user will be required to tag the thread. For example they can tag it as "Statistics" and "Medium Difficulty" then other users can add/edit/remove tags. I am not sure how popular it will be but it will allow to organize and categorize questions.

P.S. We are using about 5% of our storage allocated on the server and the difference between threads and posts is not that much :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Thank you again. My kudos are yours.
I am trying to wrap my mind around the idea and see the core value (besides just being another way to organize posts). Thank you for the PM and links. Help me understand if I am not getting something. I can definitely see that approach as a preference but struggling to see the big value - as you know people resist change (myself included) and there needs to be a clear benefit that will justify the inconvenience of re-learning.

In my mind having 1,000 pages in a thread is pretty similar to having 1,000 threads, though with pages it is a bit more difficult since with threads we can bump them up, keep discussions in one place, and not have discussions on 10 questions at the same time. We can also link to them easier and create threads like these: combinations-permutations-and-probability-references-56486.html

Please - point me in the right direction if I am missing something.

Slightly off-topic:
There are also a few other elements that work better with Threads rather than posts such as Tags. We have plans to add Tags to the forum and tag individual questions by subject and difficulty, so during posting a user will be required to tag the thread. For example they can tag it as "Statistics" and "Medium Difficulty" then other users can add/edit/remove tags. I am not sure how popular it will be but it will allow to organize and categorize questions.

P.S. We are using about 5% of our storage allocated on the server and the difference between threads and posts is not that much :)

I meant, a thread for each new problem (e.g. - community-activist-81304.html) is too specific. It does not holds value for a lot of users. When the thread topic is off 'Page-1', I doubt anyone cares to check it. So practically, those threads are very unnecessary & helps too few people (if it does at all).

Of course, we don't want to have a thread with 1000 pages. And, you are right, solving 10 problems at a time will be too chaos on thread. Some things we can do to organize things -

As I said in my PM, put time limit to questions. Let me elaborate :
a. We will have only 2 problems active at a time (In 24 hours). Do all the discussion necessary for it in 24 hours.
b. After 24 hours, the problems are closed. And, users are allowed to put new problems.

We can close the thread after a particular time. Say, a year or 100 pages. Put the link of this thread in the new thread.

I know it seems a lot of change, but it is done this way on the links I provided you. And, people are big fans of these threads myself included.

About change - if you stop allowing users making new thread, current users will turn to the 'New Thread'. I assume they will start following that thread from first page. So whenever there are new problems on thread they just go to the last page. Plus, it is easier for them to search back for problems they had referred some time back.

New users, who have not followed the thread can start reading the thread from first page, & solve the current questions of last page at the same time.

Now, we can certainly think on this. Take opinion from Gmatclub stalwarts like rhyme, rivverripper etc. I am sure you personally can ask them their opinion on this. :)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you again. Sounds like you know GMATClub pretty well with your references to Rhyme and others :)

Let me think about this - this is not an easy decision. I feel that the new tagging system (coming in a month or so) will help significantly with content classification and create the concept of a single thread, except in addition - will create those threads by subject such as "Word Problems" or "Powers" rather than just PS or DS. If that plan fails, then I will definitely be giving this thought a shot. It is hard to change so much in short interval - it is a gradual process - give me time :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  44