Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [33]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [3]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: Attaining Nirvana [#permalink]
Kudos
Sorry. Have you heard of the saying -

To see is to believe

This is parallel to ----> To attain nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation

Does that rings?
:-D
pdarun wrote:
I'll go with A.

Because I dont see a reason why we need "to attain"????
IMO: "Attaining" is a participle acting as an adjective. For parallellism across the Being verb, "Attaining nirvana" = noun = "to enter" and is is parallel.
What am I missing or misunderstood?

Sudeep et all: Now I'm totally confused what the OA is :). The spoilers at the different locations are all giving diff info :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
gauthamdinakaran wrote:
i am also confused.'To attain,is not parallel with l'eaving'. why are we not taking that into consideration???.I think the answer is A.'attaining 'is parallel with 'leaving'

Try to visualize ||ism like listing. To form a list for any parallel structure, there has to be a main clause preceding the parallel structure. In this case, "According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu religions.." is really a subordinate clause which can not stand by itself as a main clause. || structure typically start after sub+verb, or ...+To, but never starts with a subordinate clause. I hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Re: According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu [#permalink]
Kudos
sudeep wrote:
According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu religions, attaining nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation, leaving behind the desires that perpetuate the cycle of death and rebirth.

(A) attaining nirvana is to enter
(B) to attain nirvana is entering
(C) to attain nirvana is
(D) to attain nirvana is to enter
(E) attaining nirvana is to be entering

OE:
“Attaining” and “to enter”must be parallel. (D) gives
this to you, with “to attain” and “to enter.”

Not sold on "D" here. What is the source of this question?

My instinct certainly told me to pick that answer choice since it is idiomatic, but I picked A and here is why:

"according to the teachings of.." needs a subject to work with. It is modifying the upcoming noun. "Attaining nirvana" is a noun and therefore it makes sense. Also, it seems that the parallelism is forced in the explanation. The modifier "leaving behind the desires..." is just that--a modifier! It is a consequence of attaining nirvana.

Let me give an example to illustrate this better:

"According to the latest research, eating a whole foods plant based diet leads to a better body, eradicating heart disease."

Now, in the sentence above "Eating a whole foods plant based diet" is the subject and it is being appropriately modified by both "according to the..." and "eradicating heart disease." Also, it is perfectly clear that there is no parallelism going on here. Another way to write the sentence would be:

"Eating a whole foods plant based diet, according to the latest research, leads to a better body, eradicating heart disease."

Admittedly the sentence is more confusing to parse than the original, however one can see that there is no parallelism happening in the sentence.

I just really want to draw attention to the fact that parallelism seems forced in the original explanation, and I would seriously consider the source of the question before accepting the answer choice.

edit: hahaahahaha. Never mind. I misread the explanation. The parallelism is between "attaining" and "entering"! The answer makes sense with that context.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
here, teachings of bhudha n hindu is a noun phrase and actually we can rewrite the sentence as according to bhudha and hindu teachings, attaining nirvachana.....
the question is on noun modifiers and here''of bhudha n hindu'' is a prepoistion which modifies teachings,even though here attaining(modifier) is not closer to teaching(noun),it is modifying teachings.
so i think right answer is "A"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Question [#permalink]
dineesha wrote:
According to the teachings of the Buddhist and Hindu religions, attaining nirvana is to enter a state of supreme liberation, leaving behind the desires that perpetuate the cycle of death and rebirth.

(A) attaining nirvana is to enter
(B) to attain nirvana is entering
(C) to attain nirvana is
(D) to attain nirvana is to enter
(E) attaining nirvana is to be entering

The answer is given as D and my doubt is why using "Attaining ..." as answer choice is incorrect. Can someone please help me with this ?

Dineesha, This is a Parallelism Question.

If you break down this part "To attain nirvana is to enter X" you can rephrase it like ................ "To attain nirvana = entering X" It is a comparison and hence the two parts being compared have to be parallel.

So the answer haas to be either
Attaning nirvana is entering X
To attain Nirvana is to enter X .. Only this option is given . This is also idiomatic usage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
how it can be B ? the to " attain" means the process completed which contradicts the "entering " - which says the process is going on ?
This is parallelism Q which signifies that the either A or D may be correct. I guess looking toward the structure of third clause; the answer should have been A, as the third clause indicate that the process of Nirvana is continues through a period of time. Since we don't about the tense status; we need to compromise to the participle forms of present.

:lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
It is not about parallelism. The question is testing dangling modifier and infinitive verb form of the sentence. The original sentence contains 3 dangling modifiers 'according.....,attaining.......,leaving....." with no proper verb at all. So in 2nd part of sentence we need verb form to correct it. So of all the options D has infinitive and modifiers are clear.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [2]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos