Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Any advice on using or not using consultants? [#permalink]
I feel as though consultants who specialize in essay writing will be of most value. Since you're going to be spending the majority of the time writing essays, the consultant should be able to add insight and make your essay a lot better. i've heard some good things about sandy at hbsguru, but I don't have any first hand knowledge.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
how do you know when to trust the advice of a consultant or how to find a reputable consultant? i emailed a few of them my profile and target schools and all had the same cookie cutter answer - "these are great choices, you have a good profile, you should definitely get in, etc. etc.", i didn't get any type of hesitation or constructive criticism that made me feel like these people were actually interested in telling me the truth versus simply hoping i'd sign on with them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
This topic comes up a lot -

Below are two threads where it is discussed a bit -

admissions-consulting-worth-the-money-72395.html
admissions-consultants-65146.html

I personally worked with MBA Exchange and found them to be quite good, and I doubt I would have gotten into Ross and Duke without their help. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

If you want someone to do the work for you, then consultants will disappoint. I think there is a place for consultants to help guide applicants who may not come from feeder industries, or those who are unfamiliar with the intricacies of applying to Top 10 schools. Most of the info they dispense can be found online, but the essay editing services, and essay guidance really made a difference for me.

Just my two cents!

~Sam
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
how do you know when to trust the advice of a consultant or how to find a reputable consultant? i emailed a few of them my profile and target schools and all had the same cookie cutter answer - "these are great choices, you have a good profile, you should definitely get in, etc. etc.", i didn't get any type of hesitation or constructive criticism that made me feel like these people were actually interested in telling me the truth versus simply hoping i'd sign on with them.

@bipolarbear and @2012dreams - you're both totally right. I spoke to 3 agencies and they all gave me very positive feedback about how I had a really good shot. I since emailed hbsguru and he told me my chances at HBS and Stanford are pretty low unless I can come up with a very compelling story. I feel his advice was more honest and in line with what I've been hearing top schools expect in an applicant.

That's not to say his services will be the right fit for me. I need to do more research... But it seems like a good option so far.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
just to shed a little bit more insight on this: i was at an HBS event last week. there were a number of students in the room during one particular session (no adcom/faculty present), and the question about whether to use a consultant came up. one girl (current student) said - definitely yes, that her consultant helped her through the whole process, and she owes a lot to him.

right after that, a guy said - definitely NO, and that it''s really just a waste of money, and you're better off working on your app by yourself to give it your personal touch. he also said that opinions on this will vary greatly from person to person.

if youve got a ton of money lying around, then i dont see why not. i mean people blow 2 grand on a home theater system.. why not pay a consultant to help you? on the other hand, if you're like me and don't have that cash to throw around - then save your money and get help from your friends/family/ this forum. your app will probably come out just as good - and more authentic - that way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I had a similar delimma a month ago because it seemed the consultants seem like a great idea but were too expensive for me.

I used every free service out there and didn't think based on my profile they were worth the cost.

I have decent writing skills and an average packet for any business school. Meaning I am not a Wow candidate but not a straight reject either based on my academis, gmat and work experience. I wanted somone professional to read through my essays and give me a thorough critique more than a friend could.

So heres what I did. I put an ad on craigslist for a professional editor. Got over 20 responses and chose a guy close to my home who is a law staudent who got into 2 great B schools. I write the essays and we meet once a week to improve the essays in every way a $250 / hour consultant could. Basically for $250 or so I got all my essays in good shape.

I can refer interested people to my editor, who is in NJ but craigslist is a very resourceful site for MBA apps help.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
No consultants can help me overcome my fatal point

LOW GMAT lol

Now if I can somehow squeeze out a 700 next month then I might think about getting a consultant to help me craft a better story for one of the top 5 schools
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Anyone know the rates for MBA Exchange? They don't publish online.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:

This is from one of their members who i got in touch.

Our charges for a comprehensive consultation for applications for up to four schools is USD 6250.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
How much is it for just one school? Do you know?[size=150][size=150][size=150][/size][/size][/size]

snipertrader wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:

This is from one of their members who i got in touch.

Our charges for a comprehensive consultation for applications for up to four schools is USD 6250.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
I did not ask that...but i am sure per school the charges will shoot up. They offer a free evaluation on your profile. Don't expect anything fancy. The free eval is meant to sell their services to you but hey....its free.

They are usually very prompt and responsive so i guess you can ask your questions to them directly.

Cheers!

Disclaimer: I am not using their services as of now. Will decide after my GMAT retake.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
This past Spring, after I was admitted to various programs and I was bored out of my mind…..I decided to send in my profile to all the free evaluation services offered from bschool consultants to see how accurate they would be.

They all responded back by saying standard "SAFE" response saying "your stats are good but top programs will look for other things. Your MBA goal is important, and ETC ETC ETC." Bottomline, these free evaluation services offered are really nothing tangible or significant. They will all give you safe response that will neither say you are a lock for school A or you are a definite ding at school B (although Ask Sandy will probably tell you that you will get dinged 90% of the time....)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management
Schools:Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
 Q46  V47
Send PM
I think where they could be beneficial would be to string all your experiences/essays/goals into a coherent message to the adcoms if it is a bit scattered. I have not used a service, but I would think this would be their approach. I believe one can get to this point on their own if they put the time in.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I would like just to reinforce this topic and kindly ask guys who have been admitted recently to post here with which consultants did they work.

I am currently considering to hire an admission consulting company/consultant and I am targeting 4-5 schools.
I plan to apply in R1 fall 2011.
What about MBA mission and MB exchange?

Please provide your feedback and if you want to remain provate just send me a pm.

thank you.
GMAT Club Bot