Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: MBA = Long Distance Relationship [#permalink]
I am in a similar situation, unfortunately. :( My gf is going to pharmacy school for 4 yrs. I am looking at a long distance relationship for the next four year and possibly even longer. It's depressing. What I have putting into consideration is not only how close will bschool be, but also the price of the airfare from different airport. Lets say

City A, distance 350 miles, airfare $400
City B, distance 480 miles, airfare $200
City C, distance 200 miles, airfare $250

Then combine these consideration with the ranking and profile of different school. This also might be a recruiting advantage or disavandage depend on where you try to be. True, it's a pain, but I guess it's just part of what life throws at ya.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah, thanks guys. Skitalets, what you said about Tuck makes sense. It is awfully remote so it would be difficult to take a three day weekend and fly out the west coast. I know it's probably not worth worrying about too much until I get accepted somewhere, but it's just such a pain to write a bunch of essays and solicit recs if it's a bad solution for us. Sometimes I just wish I married a less ambitious girl... if only she could be a couch potato it would make these decisions so much easier...

Anyways, best of luck to you guys. Maybe we'll meet in some airport someday while going to visit our better halves. Skitalets, have fun @ Duke, should be a great time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
How bad it is depends on your relationship. I know people who are halfway around the world apart from their spouse and some who are 2 or 3 hours by car. Some people make it work amazingly well...others not so much. Its definitely a huge strain so dont think its going to be easy. Just for the summer during internships its tough on people, I have heard some interesting tales of complaints about lack of time together. During the year you probably wont want to be traveling every weekend since there are so many fun things going on at school and if she/he is working fulltime they probably wont want to always be doing the travel. If your relationship is great then it wont be a huge issue but every little issue will be magnified 10,000 times. Marriages are much more likely to survive, it seems the majority of dating relationships end and sadly some marriages end or are damaged beyond repair. I do have a friend who is no longer married, so take a long hard look in the mirror.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I think what River said is true. Partly I think is due to the lack of understanding and expectations from spouse/partners. Obviously, school and companies want you to bond and form relationships with your classmates and co-wokers during internships. The social networking burden put a lot of strains on a relationship, even more so when people are further apart.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
billyjeans, you bring up a really good point. My wife and I were talking about the whole bschool topic recently and she asked me straight up what my priorities would be during school. I said that I felt school activities fell into either requirements like class, meetings, and recruiting or into non-essential like clubs, parties, etc. I tried to relate that while school requirements would take up a lot of time, that she would still come first before the non-essential stuff. However, as current students have related, all the non-required networking and socializing is a huge part of the experience. So the question I'm asking myself now is, how can one's significant other fit into the whole business school life in a positive way so that it's better than doing long distance. The tough part is that there's so many variables like can he or she find a job in the new location, the local environment, meeting new friends, and so forth. This is wrecking havoc on my school choices and application strategy, but unfortunately there are no easy answers . . .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Picking the right school can make a huge difference in how your significant other deals with school. Some programs have great reputations and others not so much. I definitely recommend factoring that into you decision, I know my marriage was way more important than any degree. If they are going to school with you that should definitely be something to think about. If there isnt access to a good airport it could quickly sink visits. Attending Tuck is probably not a great idea if you are going to be doing long distance...traveling to Hanover isnt exactly the easiest thing for a weekend and will probably result in some fights for most couples.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah, everything you guys are saying makes a lot of sense. I just got back from a week away from home and it was pretty bad, I'm beginning to think I may be delusional to even consider a 2yr LDR. We've only been married two years so I think I might be asking a bit too much at this pt. In any case, I'll be putting all my efforts into Haas and Stanford for the time being and will hope for a miracle. Thanks again guys!
GMAT Club Bot