Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [2]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: What do you think of the Canadian MBA programs? [#permalink]
Thanks! Are you planning to apply to the Canadian MBA schools? because you seem quite knowledgeable about the schools. I also need some advice in crafting my admission essays for Queen's MBA program. Is Queen's a well reputed school on the international level? Also, would I be able to switch careers from the hotel industry to financial services? Would you know anyone who can assist me? I'm now in Toronto.

Feel free to send me a PM to discuss this further. I really appreciate your help!
take care
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
This is just opinion, but I would put Queens higher on this list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Kudos
nink wrote:
Top Ranking MBA in Canada
This is the list of the top 10 best Business Schools in Canada. Amongst these top b schools are the Canadian equivalent of the Ivy League b schools. The order in which the b schools are listed on the site are quite representative of their rankings. However, the order should not be strictly construed to be rankings assigned to these b schools. The order may vary from that listed by other ranking services.

1. Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario
The School offers the Honors Business Administration, the undergraduate program in Business Administration, a graduate MBA and a Doctoral program in Management. In addition, the School also offers an Executive MBA in Hong Kong. UG | MBA | PhD
2. Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto, Canada
3. McGill Faculty of Management, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4. Sauder School of Business, Univ of British Colombia, Vancouver, Canada
5. Queen's School of Business, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
6. Simon Fraser Univ, Faculty of Bus Admin, Burnaby, B.C., Canada
7. University of New Brunswick MBA, Saint John
8. University of Calgary, Haskayne School of Business, Alberta
9. Faculty of Business, University of Victoria, British Colombia
10. Michael G. DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University, Ontorio

im surprised you skipped rotman... id go with:

1) ivey/rotman/schulick
2)queens/mcgill/ sauder
the rest depends on geography, concentration, etc.

i think all the top schools have certain strengths and depending on your needs ANY one of them could be considered "best".

I think canadian schools are harder to rank overall. I think many schools are ranked as the strongest school in theie respective cities/provinces but as far as internationally or to some extent nationally, I think that no one would list a definitive best, it would be more about the fit.

fyi im canadian from a french province hoping to go to the u.s. for an mba
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
From what I've heard University of Toronto has the greatest global recognition and greatest respect in Canada. Their business school - Rotman - seems to be excellent. However, I haven't gone to far in my research of Canadian school due to the fact that they don't have as well established financing options for foreigners as US schools.

Considering your situation, I think you should pursue Canadian MBA. Your imigrational status (I suppose you are permanent resident) probably allow you access to student funds and loans. Toronto is great financial and industrial center of Canada and pursuing degree from University of Toronto or any other top notch Canadian school could only benefit you in the long term.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Check this thread for more discussion on Canadian MBAs :
canada-mba-discussion-19110.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Human Resources
Schools:Sauder,Cornell,McGill
Send PM
Hello ...

I am looking forward to apply for Sauder as I am interested in a specialization in Human Resources. Can any of you suggest other Canadian colleges that offer specialization in HR and are good.

Rotman seems too finance centric...so I am not sure of it....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [1]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
rookieR wrote:
Hello ...

I am looking forward to apply for Sauder as I am interested in a specialization in Human Resources. Can any of you suggest other Canadian colleges that offer specialization in HR and are good.

I've been asking this same question to many people who live in Canada. Apparently, most of them have recommended Queen's University. In fact, the general consensus in Canada is that the top 3 schools in Canada are Queen's, Rotman, and Ivey. You can't go wrong with any of these 3 schools because their educational standards are all high and well respected; however, most people have told me that Queen's name is more elite.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
rookieR wrote:
Hello ...

I've been asking this same question to many people who live in Canada. Apparently, most of them have recommended Queen's University. In fact, the general consensus in Canada is that the top 3 schools in Canada are Queen's, Rotman, and Ivey. You can't go wrong with any of these 3 schools because their educational standards are all high and well respected; however, most people have told me that Queen's name is more elite.

Thanks...this is very helpful...my only concern is that the faculty and industry reputation for the university should be good for its HR courses. Would you say that is the case with Ivey and Queen's?

I am inclined for a specialized course only in HR....
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Pathfinder wrote:
From what I've heard University of Toronto has the greatest global recognition and greatest respect in Canada. Their business school - Rotman - seems to be excellent. However, I haven't gone to far in my research of Canadian school due to the fact that they don't have as well established financing options for foreigners as US schools.

Considering your situation, I think you should pursue Canadian MBA. Your imigrational status (I suppose you are permanent resident) probably allow you access to student funds and loans. Toronto is great financial and industrial center of Canada and pursuing degree from University of Toronto or any other top notch Canadian school could only benefit you in the long term.

Yes you're right. I am a permanent resident of Canada. I think Toronto is such a wonderful city to be in, and I also think the Canadians in general are absolutely friendly. I have no problem to settle here permanently. So going for a Canadian MBA school should make more sense for me.

cheers
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
rookieR wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
rookieR wrote:
Hello ...

Thanks...this is very helpful...my only concern is that the faculty and industry reputation for the university should be good for its HR courses. Would you say that is the case with Ivey and Queen's?

well, I was talking about their MBA programs specifically. As for HR, I'm honestly not so sure. I think you should contact these schools. You can still get into an HR career with an MBA, isn't it? I would think so at least, but it's better to contact the schools or check out their websites.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

I am inclined for a specialized course only in HR....[/quote]

well, I was talking about their MBA programs specifically. As for HR, I'm honestly not so sure. I think you should contact these schools. You can still get into an HR career with an MBA, isn't it? I would think so at least, but it's better to contact the schools or check out their websites.[/quote]

yeah...sure will do...as of now I am relying on the type of companies that have recruited in past and the modules the university offers....appreciate your help Tarek :)
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
rookieR wrote:

well, I was talking about their MBA programs specifically. As for HR, I'm honestly not so sure. I think you should contact these schools. You can still get into an HR career with an MBA, isn't it? I would think so at least, but it's better to contact the schools or check out their websites.[/quote]

yeah...sure will do...as of now I am relying on the type of companies that have recruited in past and the modules the university offers....appreciate your help Tarek :)[/quote]

no problem! as for your concern about the companies that hire, all these 3 schools enjoy having great companies that recruit at their campuses. The thing I would pay attention to is that the bigger is your class, the more competitive it would be among you and your class mates to get hired by your target company. So when you look at the size of the class at Rotman, I can only imagine that the recruitment at Rotman must be the survival of the fitest.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hi guys:

I'm sure I've your boat on HR schools in Canada, but I work for a union so I do know quite a bit about the subject as all my managers have attended MBA schools focusing on HR.

If you are looking still, one that has gained a huge amount of credibility is Royal Roads in Victoria, BC.

They focus on the new world, hippy-dippy learning style and Strategic HR is one of their specialties. https://www.royalroads.ca/program/strate ... ement-cert
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Could anybody please tell me how is MBA @ University of Victoria in terms of
a) Quality of the degree and learning experience
b) Reputation of the university
c) Job Placements after graduation and Salary

I am very interested in their Entrepreneurship specialization that they offer in their MBA. I'm planning to give it a shot for the July 2011 admissions. My profile is as below

Degree: B.E (comp sci.) with 74%
Work Ex: 2 Years ( as of July 2010)
GMAT: 550

Would anyone recommend me to consider this option?

Also, my second and third options are
University of Ottawa, Telfer
University of NewFoundland

Please advice me on the above two options too.

Thanks a ton ! Please chip in with your valuable replies !
GMAT Club Bot