Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink]
ACNguy wrote:
rhyme wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
Two questions about the application.

1). Did you guys waive the right to review the LORs? I noticed that it was an option to waive that right, I was curious if its advantageous to do so...

The general consensus is that you should waive. It isn't "advantageous" per se, but the argument is that (in theory) secret LORs are likely more candid (and thus more meaningful)

Quote:

2). Some of the essay questions refer to it as Chicago GSB, however I know the name changed to Booth...do they prefer that we refer to it as GSB in our applications or Booth?

Call it Booth.

In fact, if you can tell me where GSB pops up I'll let the admissions folks know, I'm sure its an oversight on their part and they are usually particular about branding.

I'm clearly the biggest idiot applying to Booth this fall. After re-reading the questions on the Booth website it's come to my realization that I wan't answering THIS YEARs questions. Wow...It's fine, GSB no longer pops up anywhere on the current questions.

This is what happens when this starts encompassing your life, you lose focus and start going crazy. I'll re-group after a beer or two tonight.

ha good thing you didn't submit :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Decided to go for Round 1, it feels good to have at least one application started.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
Rose Martinelli shares some insight on writting Booth essay:

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/gsbconnect/ ... goryID=81#
Quote:
1) How did you choose your most recent job/internship and how did this experience influence your future goals? What about the Chicago Booth MBA makes you feel it is the next best step in your career at this time? (750-1000 words)

This essay requires you to know the basics of your personal career path inside and out. How have your decisions made you ready to apply to an MBA program? While we understand that not everyone will be crystal clear in their future plans, you should be prepared to discuss your goals and how they relate to obtaining the degree.

Re-applicants have an extra question to answer: Upon reflection, how has your thinking regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since the time of your last application? (250 words)

This question is designed to give our re-applicants a place to tell us what, if anything, has changed since the time of your last application. What has happened in your life or career that has made your goals change or remain steady? What actions have you taken or lessons have you learned in this past year?

2) Describe a time when you wish you could have retracted something you said or did. When did you realize your mistake and how did you handle the situation?

or

Describe a time when you were surprised by feedback that you received. What was the feedback and why were you surprised?

This essay is about self awareness. At Booth, you'll constantly be asked to evaluate and re-evaluate your personal development. Both questions give us a sense of your life experiences; specifically, how you handle feedback and how you bounce back in those not so positive situations. What did you learn from the experience and how will it impact your future actions? In order to be powerful, we often find that situational essay questions command authentic stories.

3) In four slides or less please answer the following question: What have you not already shared in your application that you would like your future classmates to know about you?

There has never been a right or wrong way to answer this question. From the very artistic to the bold black and white, it's always been about the content.

Be strategic; take an inventory of what you've shared with us elsewhere in your application. What else would you like the Admissions Committee and your future classmates to know? We encourage you to think less about what the committee wants to hear, and more about how to illustrate those facets of yourself and your personality that make you unique. This is your chance to make sure when each reader closes your application file, they walk away with a sense of who are, what makes you tick and what it might be like to eventually meet you.
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
billyjeans wrote:
Rose Martinelli shares some insight on writting Booth essay:

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/gsbconnect/ ... goryID=81#
Quote:
1) How did you choose your most recent job/internship and how did this experience influence your future goals? What about the Chicago Booth MBA makes you feel it is the next best step in your career at this time? (750-1000 words)

This essay requires you to know the basics of your personal career path inside and out. How have your decisions made you ready to apply to an MBA program? While we understand that not everyone will be crystal clear in their future plans, you should be prepared to discuss your goals and how they relate to obtaining the degree.

Re-applicants have an extra question to answer: Upon reflection, how has your thinking regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since the time of your last application? (250 words)

This question is designed to give our re-applicants a place to tell us what, if anything, has changed since the time of your last application. What has happened in your life or career that has made your goals change or remain steady? What actions have you taken or lessons have you learned in this past year?

2) Describe a time when you wish you could have retracted something you said or did. When did you realize your mistake and how did you handle the situation?

or

Describe a time when you were surprised by feedback that you received. What was the feedback and why were you surprised?

This essay is about self awareness. At Booth, you'll constantly be asked to evaluate and re-evaluate your personal development. Both questions give us a sense of your life experiences; specifically, how you handle feedback and how you bounce back in those not so positive situations. What did you learn from the experience and how will it impact your future actions? In order to be powerful, we often find that situational essay questions command authentic stories.

3) In four slides or less please answer the following question: What have you not already shared in your application that you would like your future classmates to know about you?

There has never been a right or wrong way to answer this question. From the very artistic to the bold black and white, it's always been about the content.

Be strategic; take an inventory of what you've shared with us elsewhere in your application. What else would you like the Admissions Committee and your future classmates to know? We encourage you to think less about what the committee wants to hear, and more about how to illustrate those facets of yourself and your personality that make you unique. This is your chance to make sure when each reader closes your application file, they walk away with a sense of who are, what makes you tick and what it might be like to eventually meet you.

thanks billlyjeans +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks for the post Terp

Folks, on the essays, do you focus on how the MBA will help your short term goal or long term goal? maybe both?
Which one do you close your essays with?

And do you mention specific names of people you talk to (students, alumni)? or just mention them as "current students" or "alumni" ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
cul3s wrote:
Thanks for the post Terp

Folks, on the essays, do you focus on how the MBA will help your short term goal or long term goal? maybe both?

And do you mention specific names of people you talk to (students, alumni)? or just mention them as "current students" or "alumni" ?

Generally the short and long term goals sort of coincide, so i basically tried to always follow the path Current Job-->MBA-->Short Term-->Long Term or Current Job-->Short Term-->Long Term-->How the MBA will make that transition easier/realistic.

In terms of students, alumni, etc, I specifically mention names. I've emailed professors before and as I do more talking to more people I plan on specifying names and graduation years, or titles.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
R1 applicant here, count me in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Hey guys count me in for Round 1 too. I visited Booth last year and loved it.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, however, I am attending Booth's student hosted event at a Bar in Minneapolis tomorrow evening and wondering what my attire should be. Suit/Business Casuals/Casual(Jeans).Going suited up to a Bar may be a lill weird I feel.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kavsin wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, however, I am attending Booth's student hosted event at a Bar in Minneapolis tomorrow evening and wondering what my attire should be. Suit/Business Casuals/Casual(Jeans).Going suited up to a Bar may be a lill weird I feel.

It's run by 1st year students who volunteer to do it. You shouldn't wear a suit. Frankly, I'd go in jeans, although most people tend to go business casual. Just remember, its just students you are meeting - really its mostly for your own benefit to learn about the school
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Product Management
Schools:Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU
 Q47  V41
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
cul3s wrote:
Thanks for the post Terp

Generally the short and long term goals sort of coincide, so i basically tried to always follow the path Current Job-->MBA-->Short Term-->Long Term or Current Job-->Short Term-->Long Term-->How the MBA will make that transition easier/realistic.

In terms of students, alumni, etc, I specifically mention names. I've emailed professors before and as I do more talking to more people I plan on specifying names and graduation years, or titles.

I am not planning on mentioning any people whom I have talked to in the essays. It is worth mentioning a few?
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kavsin wrote:

yea please don't go in a suit, you will look like you are trying too hard.....at least that would be my perception. Business casual is the way to go
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
yea please don't go in a suit, you will look like you are trying too hard.....at least that would be my perception. Business casual is the way to go

I went to one in Los Angeles last winter, and most people were dressed in business casual; quite probably for the simple fact that they just got off work.

Interestingly enough, one of the students was wearing a suit to the event.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
Interestingly enough, one of the students was wearing a suit to the event.

Probably also coming from work?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Probably also coming from work?

No I don't think so, it was Winter Break and he was a current student. Maybe interview/meeting with the company. Anyways, my point was that while jeans sounds appropriate for the situation, it might feel a bit awkward talking to someone in a suit. I personally would stick with business casual to play it safe for both situations.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
cozmo8 wrote:
I am not planning on mentioning any people whom I have talked to in the essays. It is worth mentioning a few?

I mentioned students/alums I spoke with in my interview and in speaking about one of my ECs (it was a project for an alum). I think it just helped the adcom/whoever was reading my app know that I had done my homework about the school, and really researched how I would fit in.
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
isa wrote:
cozmo8 wrote:

I mentioned students/alums I spoke with in my interview and in speaking about one of my ECs (it was a project for an alum). I think it just helped the adcom/whoever was reading my app know that I had done my homework about the school, and really researched how I would fit in.

I debated this and in the end chose not to name drop in the essay. I made it clear that I had spoken to students and what Ive learned but I felt name dropping didnt really add anything to my essay and looked out of place. However I did mention specific professors that I wanted to take.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Does anyone think that it would be beneficial to attend a Booth Live event after submitting for Round 1 but before a potential interview? I'm looking ahead to maybe visiting in October to check everything out, but may just hold off until the decisions are out in December.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts