Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, and maybe some others
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
Count me in as well .. .you only live once ... might as well roll the die.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
1st page updated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V38
Send PM
I wanted to pick the brains of folks who applied last year to HBS , what are your thoughts about listing a personal achievement in the achievements essay. The personal achievement I have is something that has shaped my views about importance of different things in life. It demonstrates leadership and ability to cope with stress.
However, while talking to a few folks and a blog here and there, what i have got is that since its qualitative, and in a personal setting , it might not work for harvard. It depends on WHO reads the application and what views they hold.

What are people's thoughts about this ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
nutmba wrote:

I considered writing a personal anecdote as well ( learning what doesn't kill me will make me stronger etc...) but I had the same misgivings as you. I discarded it in favor of another anecdote from my professional life. Maybe you can find a way to show how the personal realization impacted you professionally? (BTW not an expert in any sense, just throwing ideas out).

I had a question regarding the recommendations. Apparently HBS requires 3 (was surprised to find this out). Is there any way to find out what the specific questions are? (I know HBS focuses on leadership but specific questions help in conversations with folks writing recommendations). I'm waiting to find out before I submit their emails so that I can talk to them first. Hopefully I haven't pushed this out too far.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Deepauk wrote:
I had a question regarding the recommendations. Apparently HBS requires 3 (was surprised to find this out). Is there any way to find out what the specific questions are? (I know HBS focuses on leadership but specific questions help in conversations with folks writing recommendations). I'm waiting to find out before I submit their emails so that I can talk to them first. Hopefully I haven't pushed this out too far.

Here you go:

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/writt ... ation.html

Recommender Questions for the Class of 2012
Recommendations must be completed online. The form includes the following three essay response questions, along with other types of questions.

Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250-word limit)

Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250-word limit)

Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board. (250-word limit)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Deepauk wrote:

Don't wanna be rude but I don't like your ignorance and lack of effort. You could have easily (10-20sec) find this info if only you had opened HBS Admissions website. And even easier (2-5 sec) if you had read this thread (i.e. see 1st post on 1st page).
Intern
Intern
Schools:HBS, Wharton, MIT, Columbia
Send PM
Military intel officer here. Please put me down for round 1.

garbus222 wrote:
Don't wanna be rude but I don't like your ignorance and lack of effort. You could have easily (10-20sec) find this info if only you had opened HBS Admissions website. And even easier (2-5 sec) if you had read this thread (i.e. see 1st post on 1st page).

I couldn't agree more.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
nutmba wrote:
I wanted to pick the brains of folks who applied last year to HBS , what are your thoughts about listing a personal achievement in the achievements essay. The personal achievement I have is something that has shaped my views about importance of different things in life. It demonstrates leadership and ability to cope with stress.
However, while talking to a few folks and a blog here and there, what i have got is that since its qualitative, and in a personal setting , it might not work for harvard. It depends on WHO reads the application and what views they hold.

I wrote about a personal accomplishment in my essay (and 2 professional ones), and it may just work for you as well! If it's a heart-wrenching story that is sure to draw at least a crocodile tear or two (maybe even real tears?) from the eyes of the heartless HBS Adcom, then you should write about it. Mine wasn't a tear-jerker, but I'll trade an admit for adcom tears any day.

Summary: Having two professional accomplishments and one personal accomplishment might break the monotony a little bit. You should go for it.

Disclaimer: The admissions committee at HBS are really nice folks, actually.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, and maybe some others
Send PM
Kudos
If I do end up applying, I will also write about 2 professional and 1 personal achievement. I decided to just be very hopen and honest with the application and not try to make it just look nice. One of my biggest achievements in my view is a personal achievement, so that's what will be in the application.

I don't think (I'm not an admissions expert though) writing about a personal achievement will hurt an application, as long as the professional achievements listed are meaningful and you can explain well why the personal one is meaningful to you, and perhaps more meaningful than other professional achievements.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V47
Send PM
garbus222 wrote:

I deserve that. It was an oversight on my part. I saw them below the essay questions on the website before nutmba replied. Apologies if I wasted anyone's time and thanks for pointing this out. It was one of those nervous applicant mistakes I hope I don't make again. (Maybe I'll use this in essay 2).

Please add me to the R1 applicants list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship, High Tech
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Deepauk wrote:
garbus222 wrote:

I deserve that. It was an oversight on my part. I saw them below the essay questions on the website before nutmba replied. Apologies if I wasted anyone's time and thanks for pointing this out. It was one of those nervous applicant mistakes I hope I don't make again. (Maybe I'll use this in essay 2).

LOL!!!

Dude, it happens. The problem is that not all the schools publish their questions. I think Wharton doesn't publish them...I wish they did...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nutmba wrote:

I followed Sandy's (and many other consultants') advice: 1 professional, 1 academic, 1 other (extracurricular mostly). I don't see major issue with personal accomplishment as long as it's distinct, important to ones development and shows leadership. I guess the leadership part is tricky when it comes to personal accomplishments... It's much easier to show leadership through professional/academic/extracurricular actions... and that's also probably the reason why people follow this pattern.

latammc wrote:
The problem is that not all the schools publish their questions. I think Wharton doesn't publish them...I wish they did...

Is it really an issue???... Can't you set up dummy account, register yourself as a recommender and receive Wharton's (or any other school's) questions?

Deepauk wrote:
I deserve that. It was an oversight on my part. I saw them below the essay questions on the website before nutmba replied. Apologies if I wasted anyone's time and thanks for pointing this out. It was one of those nervous applicant mistakes I hope I don't make again. (Maybe I'll use this in essay2).

Good reflection ;-) and no worries...

BTW, Roll call updated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship, High Tech
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Garbus,

I correct myself, they did publish them it was in the Application Instructions section of the application. Since I had read those beforehand I omitted that part and missed the Qs...

Haven't started my HBS app so far so nothing interesting to ask or to comment...hopefully in 2/3 weeks I will be full hands on...
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Thanks folks. your perspectives helped clarify this. Also, I strongly believe my personal achievement is important to me as a person and has to be shared. So its a go for now. :)
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V47
Send PM
https://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/Portrai ... 9portrait/

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/Portrai ... 2portrait/

Just wanted to share the links above bcoz I found them useful. The notes below each portrait paint a picture of the kind of people Harvard admits. Some of them could also double as a stylistic template.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has anyone seen any sample recommendations given there is a strict word limit? I am trying to do a template for my recommenders . 250 words isn't a lot to write about "performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quite a detailed post about recommendations (https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog. ... 2009-08-24)

Quote:
Recommendations
Date: August 24, 2009

I stand by our general advice on recommendations: the most important thing is to choose people who know you well enough to answer the questions we are asking. Many recommendations are well-written and enthusiastic in their praise but essentially full of adjectives and short on actual examples of how your wonderful qualities play out in real life. What we are hoping for are brief recounts of specific situations and how you performed.

We ask for three — and we are fine with several different combinations. It's fine to have all three recommendations come from your current firm/organization. It's fine to have one from a former employer. It's also fine to have one come from someone who has supervised or observed you in a non-work situation — community service or campus leadership, for example. Note that we are not looking for a peer recommendation — we find it most helpful if there is some developmental distance between you and the recommender. The exception to this might be when you have worked on an entrepreneurial venture or project and the only person able to help us understand your involvement is a partner or colleague.

Please realize that we are considering these recommendations in the context of your entire application — we are not creating a detailed map of the titles and resumes of your recommenders and setting up an elaborate hierarchy.

Please don't ask current HBS students to write to us on your behalf outside of the formal recommendation process. Candidates are not advantaged in the application process by either professional or personal associations with our students.

If you are worried about how we will interpret your choice or recommenders, simply write a (brief) explanation in the "additional information" section of the application.

Especially in these unusual times, please don't jeopardize your employment in order to secure a recommendation from a current employer. While we might wish that all bosses were enthusiastic and encouraging about business school for their emerging leaders, this is not a universal sentiment. Make your best judgment call about whom to ask, make sure they understand what we're asking, explain your choices to us if you think you should... and that's it!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  79   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts