Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
hello everyone - i'll be applying to Haas Round 1 too. visited UC berkeley and Haas back in May and it was a fantastic experience.

question for the group - any idea on a specific date when the application will be available?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
hellopalo wrote:
hello everyone - i'll be applying to Haas Round 1 too. visited UC berkeley and Haas back in May and it was a fantastic experience.

question for the group - any idea on a specific date when the application will be available?

should come out any day now. I remember it was mid to late August last year?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management and Consulting
Schools:Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Hi everyone,

There is an Admissions Advisor Chat on Friday, Aug-14th, 2009. Pacific Time 10am. ( i think, tht is midnight for me here in Singapore :roll: ).

I believe this is the first chat for the upcoming admission season.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Haas and Yellow Ribbon Program [#permalink]
Kudos
Sorry for the lateness, but here's the update:

gregarious: yes, I definitely love the weather here and the small class size is one of the major decision points for me to pick Haas.

swbluedevil: I got your answer for you. First of all, Haas is participating this fall, and the official word is provided below. Second, Stern and Sloan are two top schools that are not in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

I also want to point out that you should look at the tuition based on what you're going to pay out of pocket in the end. I have compiled a list below for people to see the complete picture (including how many of these grants are given out) for most of the top schools.

this chart goes as: top schools, # of grants they're giving, amount per student, annual tuition (not including health insurance), total 2 year cost under program (I doubled the commitment of each school per year per student and subtracted it from each year's tuition to get the total)

Sorted by total tuition cost over 2 years, decreasing (for 2010-11 and 2011-12)
Sloan - N/A - $49K/year - Total Cost: $98K
Columbia - 30 - $2500 - $52K/year - Total Cost: $94K
Stanford - 50 - $3000 - $51K/year - Total Cost: $90K
Stern - N/A - $45K/year - Total Cost: $90K
Harvard - 30 - $5000 - $51K/year - Total Cost: $82K
Wharton - 15 - $10K - $52K/year - Total Cost: $64K
Booth - 5 - $10K - $50K/year - Total Cost: $60K
Kellogg - 50 - $10K/each - $49K/year - Total Cost:$58K
Anderson - 6 - $8600 - $44K/1st year, $36K/2nd year - Total Cost: $45.6K (assuming you're out of state 1st year)
Haas - unlimited - $10K/each - $45K/1st year, $36K/2nd year - Total Cost: $41K (assuming you're out of state 1st year)
Tuck - unlimited - $19,223 - $48K/year - Total Cost: $19K

Finally, I like to point out that Berkeley provides special funding in other ways for military as well. For example, it provides in-state tuition for active duty military stationed in California (see https://registrar.berkeley.edu/Default.a ... itary.html) and for the children and spouses of active-duty military personnel stationed in California, which has a value of $10K per year.

Conclusion?
Tuck is super cheap for Vets with unlimited grants. Haas and Anderson are the next two cheapest schools to attend. Wharton/Kellogg/Booth you save $40K over 2 years, but still pay up in the $60K range, with Wharton and Booth only offering less than 2% of their class the Yellow Ribbon Program. Kellogg is good offering 8% of their class the program. Stanford/Harvard/Columbia don't really help much, costing you more than $80-90K over the 2 years in tuition. And finally, Sloan and Stern do not offer the program, at least on the website. I would inquire with their ambassadors to see if they just missed the website deadline like Haas did.

Finally, I understand that cost is a big decision factor for many MBA applicants/students in choosing schools, but in my humble opinion, it shouldn't be the only reason. While many people will go to the school that gives them the best scholarship package, many others forgo the money to go to a school that fits them better in terms of geographical location, culture, intended career, alumni, and a variety of reasons.

Hopefully all this information will help you make your decision on which school fits your needs and your budget the best this fall.

Official Word from Haas (will be on our webpage soon):

The Haas School of Business was unable to participate in the Yellow Ribbon program for 2009-2010, although we have already notified the Veteran’s Administration of our intent to participate in 2010-2011. We will be providing grants to graduate student veterans who are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program in the amount of $10,000 per student. Those eligible veterans who enrolled in fall 2009 may receive this funding from the Haas School, but would not receive the matching funds from the VA until the 2010-2011 cycle. Berkeley provides a variety of other benefits to enlisted men and women, including in-state tuition benefits for active duty service members and a designated Veteran’s Benefit coordinator.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Oh, and one more thing, a couple of my Haas vet buddies have volunteered to talk (on the phone or in person) to any vets who have questions about their experiences at Haas. Just PM me if you want to take them up on the offer. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
woncosmo wrote:
How is the Healthcare major at Haas compared with other schools who have Healthcare concenteration in their MBA?

Will the adcom give preference to applicants who have work-ex and education related to the Healthcare industry?

I'm not quite sure what your question means. the MPH/MBA dual degree program is a healthcare "concentration" program at Haas. It takes 2.5 years to finish (one extra semester) and gets you pretty well connected into the healthcare and public health industry.

I can't claim to know what the adcom is looking for, but I would think the better you can link your experiences (whether healthcare related or not) to your future career in healthcare, then better your chances.

Hi, I am interested in the Healthcare Certificate program. I have experience of working with a Healthcare Technology firm and part-time with a Healthcare Social Enterprise. I am interested in the courses on Social Entrepreneurship in the Healthcare domain. I am trying to contact someone from the Healthcare club at Haas. Do you know anyone whom I can contact?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Haas and Yellow Ribbon Program [#permalink]
Wow, this is great. I can add Haas back to my list :)

kryzak wrote:
Sorry for the lateness, but here's the update:

gregarious: yes, I definitely love the weather here and the small class size is one of the major decision points for me to pick Haas.

swbluedevil: I got your answer for you. First of all, Haas is participating this fall, and the official word is provided below. Second, Stern and Sloan are two top schools that are not in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

I also want to point out that you should look at the tuition based on what you're going to pay out of pocket in the end. I have compiled a list below for people to see the complete picture (including how many of these grants are given out) for most of the top schools.

this chart goes as: top schools, # of grants they're giving, amount per student, annual tuition (not including health insurance), total 2 year cost under program (I doubled the commitment of each school per year per student and subtracted it from each year's tuition to get the total)

Sorted by total tuition cost over 2 years, decreasing (for 2010-11 and 2011-12)
Sloan - N/A - $49K/year - Total Cost: $98K
Columbia - 30 - $2500 - $52K/year - Total Cost: $94K
Stanford - 50 - $3000 - $51K/year - Total Cost: $90K
Stern - N/A - $45K/year - Total Cost: $90K
Harvard - 30 - $5000 - $51K/year - Total Cost: $82K
Wharton - 15 - $10K - $52K/year - Total Cost: $64K
Booth - 5 - $10K - $50K/year - Total Cost: $60K
Kellogg - 50 - $10K/each - $49K/year - Total Cost:$58K
Anderson - 6 - $8600 - $44K/1st year, $36K/2nd year - Total Cost: $45.6K (assuming you're out of state 1st year)
Haas - unlimited - $10K/each - $45K/1st year, $36K/2nd year - Total Cost: $41K (assuming you're out of state 1st year)
Tuck - unlimited - $19,223 - $48K/year - Total Cost: $19K

Finally, I like to point out that Berkeley provides special funding in other ways for military as well. For example, it provides in-state tuition for active duty military stationed in California (see https://registrar.berkeley.edu/Default.a ... itary.html) and for the children and spouses of active-duty military personnel stationed in California, which has a value of $10K per year.

Conclusion?
Tuck is super cheap for Vets with unlimited grants. Haas and Anderson are the next two cheapest schools to attend. Wharton/Kellogg/Booth you save $40K over 2 years, but still pay up in the $60K range, with Wharton and Booth only offering less than 2% of their class the Yellow Ribbon Program. Kellogg is good offering 8% of their class the program. Stanford/Harvard/Columbia don't really help much, costing you more than $80-90K over the 2 years in tuition. And finally, Sloan and Stern do not offer the program, at least on the website. I would inquire with their ambassadors to see if they just missed the website deadline like Haas did.

Finally, I understand that cost is a big decision factor for many MBA applicants/students in choosing schools, but in my humble opinion, it shouldn't be the only reason. While many people will go to the school that gives them the best scholarship package, many others forgo the money to go to a school that fits them better in terms of geographical location, culture, intended career, alumni, and a variety of reasons.

Hopefully all this information will help you make your decision on which school fits your needs and your budget the best this fall.

Official Word from Haas (will be on our webpage soon):

The Haas School of Business was unable to participate in the Yellow Ribbon program for 2009-2010, although we have already notified the Veteran’s Administration of our intent to participate in 2010-2011. We will be providing grants to graduate student veterans who are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program in the amount of $10,000 per student. Those eligible veterans who enrolled in fall 2009 may receive this funding from the Haas School, but would not receive the matching funds from the VA until the 2010-2011 cycle. Berkeley provides a variety of other benefits to enlisted men and women, including in-state tuition benefits for active duty service members and a designated Veteran’s Benefit coordinator.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
woncosmo wrote:
Hi, I am interested in the Healthcare Certificate program. I have experience of working with a Healthcare Technology firm and part-time with a Healthcare Social Enterprise. I am interested in the courses on Social Entrepreneurship in the Healthcare domain. I am trying to contact someone from the Healthcare club at Haas. Do you know anyone whom I can contact?

Thanks

I would contact anyone here:

https://groups.haas.berkeley.edu/hcc/members.htm

Co-Prez is probably a good place to start.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Based on trying to do three other Round 1 apps with earlier deadlines, I'm going to apply to Haas in Round 2. I've come across advice here and on some other blogs that essay writing and interviewing usually get better so hopefully this decision doesn't backfire. Good luck to all those preparing for Round 1!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
gregarious, I think you'll be fine. my essays were definitely a step higher for Kellogg (which I applied to R2). The downside is the longer wait. After you found out all your results from R1 (hopefully good), waiting till March before you can make your final decision (if Haas is one of your top choices) will be more painful than you think. :)

But either way, good luck with the apps and hope to see you on campus sometime!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1(W/o Int), HBS R1(W/o Int), Kellogg R1(Ding), Haas R2(W/o Int), Wharton R2(W/o Int), Darden(W/o Int)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Just an fyi for all R1 applicants. The application is now available online and you can start filling it and get the recommendations sent out.
Shiva
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
hmm upon reading the application instructions this morning i probably should not have had my schools send official transcripts directly to Haas. anyone know if this will piss anyone off at admissions? probably can't help....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
tuck20xx wrote:
hmm upon reading the application instructions this morning i probably should not have had my schools send official transcripts directly to Haas. anyone know if this will piss anyone off at admissions? probably can't help....

I don't think you'll piss them off. Just give them a call and explain the situation. They'll tell you what you need to do to "fix" the problem. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
bpr81 wrote:
HAAS has a strong affiliation to Energy/Clean tech. So besides entrepreneurship, does HAAS offer other avenues to pursue in this sector like in Energy Investments. Any particular Program/Club/Initiative at HAAS for this?

My friend's response got filtered to another mailbox so I didn't see it until now. Here's the short answer:

BERC is the main vehicle. They should go to https:\\berc.berkeley.edu.

Hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management and Consulting
Schools:Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Thanks kryzak.

I will try to get in touch with someone in BERC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
In the question about which courses demonstrate quantitative proficiency, do we have to list all courses we took, or would a sample be sufficient? I was an engineer, so I could put down over 20 courses and it seems overkill.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
I wondered the same thing when looking over the app. I also was an engineering major also so pretty much 90% of my classes could be quant related . I wonder what the point of it even is, seeing as how they'll be reviewing the transcript anyways.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  62