Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink]
aditi123 wrote:
is the recommendation a general letter from teh recommender or is it a list of questions like kellogg,harvard?
I want to know so that I can just brief my recommender on how to prepare.

These are the guidelines given on the website. As someone suggested you might be able to view the questions once you begin the online application.
What I find interesting is the second letter does not have to be from a professional environment. I wonder if people did some out there stuff like getting their mother/spouse to write them recos :) .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Does anyone know if there are file size restrictions while uploading the GSB Slide presentation? Including photographs seems to increase the file size quite a bit.
BTW, Great post by Rhyme on Page 2 about the slide presentation (+1). I'm a little worried about mine now. :roll:

edit: Found the answer in the online app. It says 9 MB and requests us to use a PDF if the file size is to high . They really do think of everything. :)

Originally posted by Deepauk on 22 Aug 2009, 01:03.
Last edited by Deepauk on 23 Aug 2009, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I will attend the information events of Chicago Booth on next Wednesday.

What should i do in that session? Please give me some advice.

Thank you very much

Btw, count me in Round 1, I am from Vietnam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
vnbui wrote:
I will attend the information events of Chicago Booth on next Wednesday.

What should i do in that session? Please give me some advice.

Thank you very much

Btw, count me in Round 1, I am from Vietnam

Learn as much as you can about the school, and begin to decide if it's the right fit. Determining whether you can see yourself there for two years surrounded by the people similar to the ones you meet during these sessions is definitely the most important thing you can do during these events.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Count me in for Round 1. My #1 choice.

Good luck everyone!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I will be at the recruiting event next thursday

" Next Thursday's event: Date: 09/17/2009
Time: 06:30 PM to 08:30 PM
Location: Chicago Booth Campus, Gleacher Center, 450 N. Cityfront Plaza Dr., Chicago, IL 60611
We are really excited about this event. So far we have one hundred and twenty one prospective students registered..... " (emphasis mine)

121 in one night, wow.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
I'm working on my app now, not sure yet which round I'll submit. R1 if I feel good about my essays, R2 otherwise.

For the extracurricular section, how are people formatting their answers? One question asks to "Describe" and the other asks to "List". I already drafted a list answer, but I'm not quite sure whether I should turn it into a cohesive mini-essay.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Anyone attending the Atlanta reception?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Anyone planning to go to the Booth Live event on September 25th? Was thinking about heading up there - any tips on where to stay?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
So Booth happened to visit Portland, in fact the only top school to visit PDX as far as I know. I, of course attended the event, even though I am not even planning to apply. What an experience !!

In addition to the admissions pitch, there were 4-5 alumni who talked about their Booth experience and their career progression. All in all a very good experience. I had no idea how a flexible curriculum would be beneficial. When each of these guys emphasized how the flexible curriculum had helped them not only in their immediate careers, but also in their long term careers- the advantages of a flex curriculum really stood out. They also talked highly about the labs. One alumnus very candidly said 'these labs are not just some name sake projects that companies want to experiment with, these are real problems that the companies are facing and they pay a lot of consulting money to Booth to have the problems resolved'.

What struck me was how down to earth these guys were and they provided a LOT of good career insights, especially in consulting and corporate strategy.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'm new at Booth but I really love the school! I can't say so far about labs etc, but I love people around me and all activities that the schools provides. Sometimes it would be great to visit school, talk with adcom, students and just look at place and people around. So, I would recommend you to visit school. I think 2-year students and alumni can provide more detail feedback on labs and so on.

Anyway, good luck with application!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Is it a good idea to use speech quotes in the powerpoint slide, to enhance your picture for example?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
bigfernhead wrote:
Is it a good idea to use speech quotes in the powerpoint slide, to enhance your picture for example?

I thought about that last year also, and althought I didn't even get an interview I believe that it is not a good idea to use quotes of other people in your PPT. First, you only get 4 slides to express yourself, using quote is more of an expression of someone else, unless it's a quote about you. Second, it's been done and I think people do it all the time. All the memorable quotes become cliche. Third, it's actually less creative to use someone else's quote then to come up with one you said yourself.

I would favor trying to express yourself using your own words. If you do use a quote, try to make sure there is a strong tie to something about your, or a very strong connection to who you are.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Since we're on the topic of powerpoint, I wanted to get everyone's opinion of something. Do you think that the powerpoint carries the same weight as the two essays? Unlike most of the other schools where I'm writing 3-4 essays, Booth just had the two plus the presentation. I've got my hands full with writing and have a feeling that I'll end up throwing something together for the slides. On the other hand, it doesn't seem worth deferring to Rd 2 just to fine tune, esp. since Booth has pre-Christmas notification for Rd 1. Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
I do think the ppt is pretty important since it can be so broad. I mean, given the number of applications they must see so many goals essays from folks who basically want to do IB, IM or consulting, it probably gets pretty mind numbing. Similarly with the mistake/feedback essay, there's really only so many directions you can take that. But with the ppt, you can put together anything. I'm sure they get all sorts of random stuff from guys with their Star Wars collections to chics modelling bikinis from their fashion lines. The slide presentation just really seems like the place to show some personality, so yeah, i'd say spend some time with it. But i'm feeling your pain... the Wharton rd. 1 deadline is beginning to look particularly ominous.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
gregarious wrote:
Since we're on the topic of powerpoint, I wanted to get everyone's opinion of something. Do you think that the powerpoint carries the same weight as the two essays? Unlike most of the other schools where I'm writing 3-4 essays, Booth just had the two plus the presentation. I've got my hands full with writing and have a feeling that I'll end up throwing something together for the slides. On the other hand, it doesn't seem worth deferring to Rd 2 just to fine tune, esp. since Booth has pre-Christmas notification for Rd 1. Any thoughts?

My vote is to apply now spending like a day on the powerpoint. I think unless you have something amazing for the powerpoint there is only a marginal benefit that it will be better. I personally don't feel the PPT's mean that much unless it comes off obvious that you didn't put ANY work on it. If you spend a couple hours you can probably get like 40-60% if you spend a day it'll probably be 80-90% quality. I think Essay 1 and 2 (especially 2) is the most important.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
My vote is to apply now spending like a day on the powerpoint. I think unless you have something amazing for the powerpoint there is only a marginal benefit that it will be better. I personally don't feel the PPT's mean that much unless it comes off obvious that you didn't put ANY work on it. If you spend a couple hours you can probably get like 40-60% if you spend a day it'll probably be 80-90% quality. I think Essay 1 and 2 (especially 2) is the most important.

Good advice, after some more thought I agree that there's probably diminishing returns on spending tons of time on the powerpoint. I'm going to try and focus more on Essay 2, because I think that once Why MBA/Now/Booth are established in Essay 1, that it's the clearest way to stand out. In other words once they have you pegged in your demo, then it's time to show why you're different from peers. Even though it's nice to write fewer essays, in comparison to the other schools, I can't help but feel like a lot will be left out. Hopefully, there will be an interview to fill in the rest!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts