Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
highhopes wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
I'm in for R1. Considered doing EA. Does it make a huge difference for those of us that are borderline cases?

If you think you're borderline, go EA (provided you can put in your best application, blahblahblah). Your obvious commitment to Fuqua is a counterpoint to whatever deficiency your application may have.

Fuqua's EA round is supposed to be binding though - so you are supposed to withdraw your other applications once you are admitted (and it's highly likely you won't have most decisions from other schools by then). Clearly there's no way to make sure you do that, but I'm guessing it's quite frowned upon if you don't.

What I took from it is that you have to rescind your other apps once your accepted to Fuqua, not when you're still awaiting a decision from them. Correct?

I've always wondered this as well, and don't let this be a reflection on the school or take it as me not researching enough, but is it pronounced FOO-QU-AH or FOO-QUA
Director
Director
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
highhopes wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
If you think you're borderline, go EA (provided you can put in your best application, blahblahblah). Your obvious commitment to Fuqua is a counterpoint to whatever deficiency your application may have.

Fuqua's EA round is supposed to be binding though - so you are supposed to withdraw your other applications once you are admitted (and it's highly likely you won't have most decisions from other schools by then). Clearly there's no way to make sure you do that, but I'm guessing it's quite frowned upon if you don't.

What I took from it is that you have to rescind your other apps once your accepted to Fuqua, not when you're still awaiting a decision from them. Correct?

I've always wondered this as well, and don't let this be a reflection on the school or take it as me not researching enough, but is it pronounced FOO-QU-AH or FOO-QUA

Yes, once your accepted, but the decision date is earlier, so you won't know about your round 1 schools yet (with the possible exception of schools with a rolling decision deadline).

I can never read those phonetics, but I would say FU-KWA? It is a U just like you say the U in the alphabet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Few Kwuh (like duh) ... ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
Few-kwa
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
I can never read those phonetics, but I would say FU-KWA? It is a U just like you say the U in the alphabet.

In the words of Liz Riley Hargrove, it's pronounced few-kwah, because FEW QUAlify to attend. ;-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... y_daytime/

Essays for Fall 2010 Entry

Three essay questions must be completed before submitting your application. Prepare your essays carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your responses to the following questions important in the selection process. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing. Your response to each question should be no more than 2 pages in length, with a font size not smaller than 10-point.

Candidates who applied to The Duke MBA between September 2008 and April 2009 are considered re-applicants. All re-applicants are required to complete the Re-applicant Essay in addition to the Applicant Essays.

All applicants have the opportunity to submit an optional essay to explain any extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware.

Applicant Essays : Answer all 3 essay questions.

Today, companies must navigate through complex and interdependent issues. They must deal with health and security matters, environmental impact questions, and diversity and cultural concerns. Leaders need adaptability, imagination, emotional intelligence, as well as business acumen. Thus, Duke is in the midst of an ambitious global venture that will embed and connect us around the world, and we are seeking future leaders of consequence, those who value diversity and collaborative leadership, and who aspire to impact the companies and communities of which they are a part in a lasting and positive way.

In an effort to identify, engage, and foster the development of future leaders of consequence, the Admissions Committee would like to get to know our applicants in a more holistic manner. We would like to know who you are, what has shaped you into the person you are today, and how you hope to impact both Duke and the communities of which you will be a part in the future. The essays are your opportunity to convey that to us. Please be open, genuine, and passionate. Share with us what makes you a dynamic, multi-dimensional person.

Describe your vision for your career, your inspiration for pursuing this career path, and the role of The Duke MBA in achieving your goals. If you are interested in a specific concentration or joint degree program, please discuss in this essay.
Discuss a person, event, or experience that has significantly shaped your life and explain why.
Individuals choose a business school for many different reasons. Through your research, what attributes or characteristics of The Duke MBA program have most resonated with you and why? How do you plan to contribute to the strengthening and enhancement of those attributes and characteristics during your time at Duke and beyond?
Optional Essay (not required)

If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g., unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weakness in your application).

Re-applicant Essay

All re-applicants are required to complete the Re-applicant Essay. Please limit your response to two pages. Write an essay describing how you are now a stronger candidate for admission compared to the application you submitted the previous year.
Director
Director
Send PM
Huh, interesting that they seem to have wrapped the leaders of consequence essay into one of the others. The other interesting thing is that even though there are fewer questions than last year, with their increased page limits, you could actually end up writing more if you so chose. So all in all, looks like not much change.

I'll update the front page with these.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Duke - Class of 2012, UNC, UVA
Send PM
Count me in. I'm debating between R1 and EA. My question, and I've seen a brief answer, but would love some more info/explanation, is about the opportunity for money if you apply EA. Duke is my first choice (went there undergrad and moved back here a few years ago) but I have been thinking of applying to UNC, Darden, and Duke.

My biggest concern is with my quantitative portion of the application. I have read that at Tuck, Q 75% (45) is the cut-off point. I figure that Duke is similar. Plus, my only undergrad grades that were bad were in Stats and Calculus.

Originally posted by hsm78 on 15 Aug 2009, 12:28.
Last edited by hsm78 on 17 Oct 2009, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Duke - Class of 2012, UNC, UVA
Send PM
For anyone who is interested, Duke's online scheduling for campus visits and interviews is now up and running.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Kellogg, Fuqua, Darden
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I'm a Navy officer studying for the GMAT (10 days left..) and working to get my applications finished as we prepare for yet another deployment, and my goal is to apply to Duke in R1.

Skitalets, how many former military officers are in your class at Fuqua? How active is the Armed Forces Association? Thanks for the help!

Skitalets wrote:
Hi all,

I'm another Fuqua FY -- happy to answer any questions as best I can.

We just had the kick-off weekend for the Program for Entrepreneurs, which was really exciting! Duke is a great place to be -- not just because of the first-rate MBA programs at Fuqua, but because of all the synergies with other schools at the university. Lots of amazing ideas for start-ups came out of the med school, the engineering school, and nearby departments at NCSU and elsewhere.
Director
Director
Send PM
So I was searching for something about Duke today and stumbled across this from an old BW article which I thought was kind of interesting/fun. It's the profile from almost exactly 10 years ago. The room & board has increased by 40%, while the tuition has increased by almost 80% & look at the average GMAT. :-D

1999-2000 Fuqua Admission Profile
Full-Time Students 670
Tuition/Board $28,781; $11,150
Female 35%
Non-U.S. Citzens 25%
Underrepresented Minorities 12%
Applicants Accepted [Selectivity] 17%
Applicants Admitted [Yield] 54%
Number of Applicants 3,557
GMAT Avg. 676
GPA Avg. 3.3
Work Exp. Avg. 5
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
So I was searching for something about Duke today and stumbled across this from an old BW article which I thought was kind of interesting/fun. It's the profile from almost exactly 10 years ago. The room & board has increased by 40%, while the tuition has increased by almost 80% & look at the average GMAT. :-D

1999-2000 Fuqua Admission Profile
Full-Time Students 670
Tuition/Board $28,781; $11,150
Female 35%
Non-U.S. Citzens 25%
Underrepresented Minorities 12%
Applicants Accepted [Selectivity] 17%
Applicants Admitted [Yield] 54%
Number of Applicants 3,557
GMAT Avg. 676
GPA Avg. 3.3
Work Exp. Avg. 5

Anyone have a time machine?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Very interesting that their selectivity was higher back than it is now.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
gtg450g wrote:
I'm a Navy officer studying for the GMAT (10 days left..) and working to get my applications finished as we prepare for yet another deployment, and my goal is to apply to Duke in R1.

Skitalets, how many former military officers are in your class at Fuqua? How active is the Armed Forces Association? Thanks for the help!

There are a fair number of ex-military officers at Fuqua. In my class, so far I've only met Army officers--we have several West Pointers. However, last year I went to a Fuqua Friday sponsored by the armed forces club--I met a Navy LCDR who did her MBA on sponsorship by the Navy there.

If you PM me, I can get you in touch with some folks once classes start up in a couple of weeks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
eminent wrote:
Very interesting that their selectivity was higher back than it is now.

Check out the class size.

I remember hearing that Duke increased the class size a few years back, which resulted in lower selectivity and a drop in the rankings.

Kinda stupid if you ask me. Do you really think the career opportunities or quality of the education dropped at all?

That's why rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt.

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Kellogg (Interviewed, ding) , Fuqua (Admit), HBS, Ross (WL) /Kelley (Admit) /McCombs (ding) - Consortium
GMAT 3: 650
WE 1: Technology Engineer
Send PM
I'm a reapplicant, submitting in the first round.

I see they 86'd the leaders of consequence essay.
:|
Director
Director
Send PM
Duke has more information about their interview policy for this year on their website.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... us_visits/
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts