Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
btw i am 21.5 yrs and have 3.5 years experience in articles in short intership from my CA course...i dont think lbs will count intership as work experience.. do they ??

you are already in lbs ? good ....so how lbs is ..i mean by teaching ...lot of group activity ?
how much you got in Gmat ? and according your observation what is highest and lowest Gmat score in lbs ?

so 2 years experience in financial company will be enough for getting admission in lbs for MBA ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
hi chiank unfortunately at 21.5 you will also be the youngest MBA student here. The average age of the class is high 20s. The youngest people here are at least 24-25. For people with purely internship type of experience, the MiM or even the MiF will suit more (the internship itself will not be viewed as full time work experience).

I am in London at the moment, but school only starts on August 24th so I can't comment on the teaching style yet. However, outside of study, the LBS community is legendary. School hasn't started but people have been out drinking and partying ( I mean networking) among peers. I have been here for 11 days and today was my 7th night of drinking (this time at a beer festival instead of a pub). Everyone's helping each other out in terms of apartment hunting and settling in. Others are organising startup events such as the "flat hunters pub crawl." That's right, for the next two weeks, from Monday to Friday, we go to a different pub each week to meet other class mates and to find future flat mates and to consume a lot of alcohol.

There are people from US, Canada, UK, India, China, Brazil, Italy, Israel, Kuwait, Australia, Phillipines, Pakistan, Peru, Germany, France to name a few. Bear in mind that most of the class is not here yet and still we see this crazy diversity. Most of the people have significant experiences outside of their home countries I can say quite categorically that the mantra of "internationalism" and diversity is taken to the extreme at LBS.

As far as GMAT is concerned, the reported class average last year was 695. Personally, I have not heard anyone talk about GMAT, so no one actually knows (or cares) within students. In fact I get the impression that GMAT is not that important a criteria for LBS. Interesting and distinctive work experiences count for a lot more.

Hope this answers your question. I'll try to put out more details of the class room experience later.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
really thanks for your help....i really appreciate it

Yes, i am not thinking of getting admission now. i will be atleast 24 when i will first apply for admission.

Lets assume my profile will be like this

Gmat(assumption)-->700
Degree -- CA, CFA
Experience -- Big company alteast 2 years in financial industry

So what i need to do more for getting admission in LBS???
and can you give me example of essay we need to send to college ? and wisdom me regarding why Essay is so important ?

As i said before london really appeals me than america
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:INSEAD (Attending Aug 2010), Oxford (Admitted), Cambridge (Admitted)
 Q46  V41
Send PM
Aiming for R1, hopefully. R2 only if work gets too crazy....One's still got to earn a living eh?

Btw, could anyone please give me some perspective on the 15/18/21 month finish. I can't seem to work it out clearly from the LBS website if there is any requirement (e.g. previous business degree, summer term, etc.) to finish earlier. I would like to do it 15-18 rather than 21month (though I do love London!) I have an arts background so don't know if shorter study period is possible. Also - does it effect the fees?
Thanks in advance! :-D

BSD - please keep us posted about your experience. Enjoy London - I lived there for 6 years and loved it :wink:
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi Salisaaa, there is no requirement for finishing early except that you have to complete at least 9 electives (which is the general graduation requirement). The maximum electives you can take is 12. From a tuition perspective, it does not matter if you finish in 15 / 18 / 21 months or how many electives you take. Most take 12 electives (to make most of the high tuition we pay) and therefore finish in 21 months. Finishing in 15 months can be quite stressful I believe, since you will need to cramp in at least 9 electives in the summer term of the first year and the fall term of the second year.

In general, in the 2nd year you have a lot of flexibility. Some for example are not taking any regular class in the 2nd year fall term and are doing a second internship instead. Some finish school before the 21 month period and already start working early, but officially are part of the people graduating in 21 months. So basically it's up to you to let LBS know when you officially want to finish.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Schools:Insead, LBS, OXford, Cambridge and etc.
 Q51  V36
Send PM
monkeypunch wrote:
Welcome to London bsd_lover! Sorry about the weather :)

At the risk of totally derailing the thread, I will bestow some unsolicited recommendations for good-but-cheap places to eat. If you enjoy ethnic food on a budget and aren't too fussy about service they should come in handy.

Chinese:
https://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... odanddrink (gets my chinese buddy's vote as best chinese food in London)

haha, when I read that you got the suggestion from your chinese buddy, I already knew which resturant it is. It turns out my guess is right. Since I found the resturant, my wife and I had all our lunches and dinners in the same resturant during our whole trip in London.

I've just visited the LBS early July, and met the admission officer and other 2 applicants. The school is not big, but located in a very good place (in the center of London city).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:INSEAD (Attending Aug 2010), Oxford (Admitted), Cambridge (Admitted)
 Q46  V41
Send PM
tmino wrote:
Hi Salisaaa, there is no requirement for finishing early except that you have to complete at least 9 electives (which is the general graduation requirement). The maximum electives you can take is 12. From a tuition perspective, it does not matter if you finish in 15 / 18 / 21 months or how many electives you take. Most take 12 electives (to make most of the high tuition we pay) and therefore finish in 21 months. Finishing in 15 months can be quite stressful I believe, since you will need to cramp in at least 9 electives in the summer term of the first year and the fall term of the second year.

In general, in the 2nd year you have a lot of flexibility. Some for example are not taking any regular class in the 2nd year fall term and are doing a second internship instead. Some finish school before the 21 month period and already start working early, but officially are part of the people graduating in 21 months. So basically it's up to you to let LBS know when you officially want to finish.

Hi Tmino, thanks for providing some perspective on the timing. Helps with planning sides of things :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
At the risk of being stressed out looking at a zillion profiles like me, I am adding my name.

I have an IIM (Indian IT Male) background and am a Non-IITian to make things tougher !!

I am aiming R1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
Does anyone know when the deadlines will be posted? Have they remained fairly consistent over the past few years? (i.e. October 14th or 15th for Round 1)

Also, is there a "better" round for Americans to apply in?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
The deadlines will probably remain the same, but best wait for the school to confirm. Americans make up about 20% of the class - thereby making up the single largest group of admits. So, I dont believe that any round should be an issue. However, do apply common sense and stick to rounds 1 and 2.

eminent wrote:
Does anyone know when the deadlines will be posted? Have they remained fairly consistent over the past few years? (i.e. October 14th or 15th for Round 1)

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
The deadlines will probably remain the same, but best wait for the school to confirm. Americans make up about 20% of the class - thereby making up the single largest group of admits. So, I dont believe that any round should be an issue. However, do apply common sense and stick to rounds 1 and 2.

eminent wrote:

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@bsd

Did your school get started ? if no then when it is getting started ?
And Does LBS follow CASE type teaching style like harvard ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Orientation starts on the 24th, classes start on 1st September, but the drinking and partying starts a lot before that. Due to UK visa restrictions international students can enter UK only 1 month before the course starts. I arrived on the 27th July. I have never partied this hard for these many days in a row ever. Every day there is an admits or networking event. There is the flat-hunters pub crawl, there is sundowners, there is admits drinks, then there is always touristy stuff to do within London. It is extremely easy to catch up not just with LBS students but many American school's students here. Tons of Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia (to name a few) students do internships in London. They often hook up with LBS folks for accommodation help etc. via the LBS portal. What an incredible way to network....

Classes haven't started yet, so I can't comment on the teaching style, but I believe that its a mix of case and traditional classes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@bsd

Enjoy man .....

BTW are there any such events organised where non drinkers come together ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Im in round 4.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@bsd

Which subjects you have taken for first term ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
In the first term we don't have a choice. We have to take Understanding General Management, Business Statistics, GLAM, Business Ethics/CSR and GLDP. I've just had one lecture and I have a 90 pages of statistics to read, write 2 essays, and read up on a case for Monday. Yet there is a welcome bbq, a roof party, a Sundowner, a flathunters pub crawl to attend from Friday to Sunday. School has well and truly arrived.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts