Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q42  V38
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask Clear Admit [#permalink]
Admissions Tip: Applying to Business School as a Younger Applicant

As many of our readers know, it has become increasingly common for younger individuals to apply to MBA programs. Whereas the average age and years of work experience at the leading business schools has traditionally hovered at around 28 and five respectively, many programs are now carefully considering the more youthful end of the applicant pool. Of course, the fact that admissions officers are taking a closer look at younger applicants does not mean that getting accepted to a top program is easy for this group. In fact, it may be difficult for younger applicants to present themselves as fully prepared to contribute to an MBA program because they often lack leadership experience and extended business exposure. This is especially true as they will be compared to their fellow applicants who have more years in the working world (often translating to more leadership experience and professional accomplishments). With this in mind, we’d like to offer a few tips that will help younger MBA candidates leverage the strengths of their candidacies and become increasingly competitive applicants at their choice schools.

To read these tips, click here: https://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/08/admi ... applicant/

The Clear Admit Team
https://blog.clearadmit.com
www.clearadmit.com
info@clearadmit.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I completed my bs and master degree in Turkeys top universities.

Bs.Electrical and Electronics Engineering CGPA:2.54
-Probation in some semsters and repeat in first year
-Completed in 4.5 years
-High Honor in Last semester-Senior year- 4.00-24 credits
-2 senior projects
Msc.Engineering Management CGPA:4.00
-Accounting,Business economics,Engineering Economics,Applied Statistics,Finance courses all A
UCLA Summer course accounting A
LSE Summer course finance A

Gmat 790 Toefl 118

fluent in 3 languages

2.5 years WE as project manager in top defence company in my country
various leadership and community events(helped 17 poor girl in the east of the Turkey and still in contact,head of lots of projects etc.)
Founder of Venture capital for start ups in universities(10000$ with my own savings)
Founder of 2 small web blogs one for business one for green world

I am just wondering what is my chances in top 5 mba schools in Us?My ugpa is very low 2.54 and is this the end of the way for my dreams?I just want real comments because i want to draw a new way otherwise.Big chances or small chances with this profile in top5?
If top 5 is impossible do i have chance in UCLA and tepper business school.i can consider columbia ed because columbia is my top choice..
And last question :) i just want to know to which top school my profile fits because it is known that every top school want different type of candidate.some of them gpa some of the gmat leadership etc.

Thanks in advance
Send PM
Hi hfaratad,

Thanks for your post and sincere apologies for the late response. I took last week off to recharge my battery so I can sprint to the fast-approaching R1 deadlines with my clients!

Your 2.54 undergrad GPA is a significant negative in an otherwise very impressive and well-rounded profile. However, adcoms do not look at a single factor in isolation of everything else, and luckily you have many other positive elements (including academic ones) to mitigate the impact of this sub-par GPA. The rest of your profile is strong and distinctive enought that top adcoms will at least want to give you a chance to explain your GPA, which you should most definitely do so in the optional essay section.

In this essay, you should honestly state the reasons that caused the low GPA, without making excuses. Then, demonstrate how you have rebounded sharply from this bad start, beginning with a stellar senior year that continued into grad school. Also note your high GMAT score as well as any quantitative elements of your work experience as further evidence that you have grown and that you are well equipped to handle MBA classes.

Of course, the rest of your application has to be stellar as well. You should make sure to highlight the strengths of your international background and outline very clear and cohesive career goals, as if you were pitching a personal business plan to a group of potential investors!

As for schools, if you're interested in Columbia, you should seriously consider applying in the early decision round, as CBS loves high yields and also would be very interested in your near-perfect GMAT score.

Hope this helps; good luck! Feel free to contact us at info@clearadmit.com for a more thorough evaluation of your profile.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Chen
Clear Admit LLC
info@clearadmit.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Kevin,
Mate I sincerely request for your help. I am falling short of time - have to apply in R1 - but I have still not shortlisted the schools. I have no idea about my chances..plz go thru my profile:

Hi,
Please guide about whether I can target M7

GMAT: 730(Q49,V40) - Balanced

Academics -(V. Strong) School Topper(commerce-94%), 4th in Delhi University(bachelors in business Studies) -University topper in Finance Subjects

Goal: to start my own consulting firm for SME's in India

Interned in(tried to get an holistic of functional areas of business):
PR Firm - (1month)
Software Firm - (3 months) - Crafted a globalization strategy for entering in Australian market- Interviewed the top officials
Stock Broking Co - (2 months)
Exporter - (3 months) - acted as an external consultant - Gave suggestions on improving business model
Educational Institution (1 month)

Work Ex(2 years):Job offers from EnY, UBS & CEB
-Corporate Executive Board(3 months) - Research Associate - Helped the executive board of most of the fortune 500 companies with managerial problems - Received the Best employee award
-Start Up Venture(1.5 year) - Helped a SME in India establish agriculture machinery parts business - initiated discussions with a Japanese company regarding the same. Ended up as a BD manager - 7 ppl under me.

Extra Curricular -
Won several competitions - Case study analysis, bplan, young manager, software presentation
Creative Artist: Have designed - corporate logo's, brochures, websites for many companies
College Promotion Society Founder
Organized - Annual college festival, Stock Market Competition, Case study competitions
Class Representative

Social Work-
Active member of Rotary Club
Spic-macay - Promoting the cultural diversity of my country
Aadi - Organizations for helping disabled children

My only concern is low work ex(2.5 years) - Do I stand a chance in M7 - Please help - As I need to shortlist the colleges and start with the application process as early as possible -Is possible please suggest some elite schools that are not much workex savvy..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: General, Product Management
Schools:Kellog,UCLA,Ross,Emory,Broad
 Q45  V31 GMAT 2: 650  Q48  V31 GMAT 3: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: low
WE 1: Software Banking Product Development
Send PM
Hi,

Request you to please evaluate my profile. I am targeting FALL 2010. Details below:

GMAT : 650 , gave it 4 yrs back. Didnt pursue MBA then. Have registered to give GMAT again in November. Hoping to get to 700 this time.

Bachelors : Bachelor of Engineering (Computers) , Mumbai University , GPA dont know, but fall in the 2nd tier of students. So may be a weak point.
Work Experience : 6 + yrs (almost 7 years by the time i start my MBA). 4.5 yrs with the current company. Currently based outside india, and responsible for grooming, leading a team for my company back in india, with an objective to have a dedicated development centre outside india. Domain Expertise in Retail Banking. Apart from leadership activities, responsible for Design, Development , Implementation and Support of various modules of the product.

Extracurricular & Community Service : is a negative point. have not done much except donating some money to certain organizations, volunteered to participate in a event to donate books to the needy , handling of cultural events in my local office.

Future Career Goal : Get into IT Strategy and Consultancy, where i can leverage my domain and technical expertise combined with the skills i gain during the MBA. Guide/Advise companies where Financial Institutions or Banks regarding thier overall IT strategy.

Expectations from my MBA : Should be flexible , general management , hone my analytical , communication skills to become a good consultant.
Dont want to apply to top 10. Not a good fit for me.
Darden / Tepper / McCombs / Cornell / Duke seem more like a good fit for me.

Request you to please evaluate and suggest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Genaral Management, Strategy, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Tuck, Emory, Kelly, TAMU, Fisher, Simon, Tippie, NUS, Carey.
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Nationality: Indian

Undergrad major: B.E in Electronics and Telecommunication (2007) first Class. Mumbai University.
GPA: 3.2 +
GMAT Score: 650 (first attempt), 710 (Q44, V42, AWA:6 (second attempt)).

Work Experience:
1) Duration: 1year 2months
Profile: Worked in a multi national Software solutions firm as an analyst programmer for a fortune 500 company’s account. I was in charge of the team building activities, aimed at improving employee performance and productivity, for my team consisting of 20 members. Played a crucial role in executing a project which was the first of its kind in my company. It aimed at improving the efficiency of the offshore delivery model, and proved to be a success. Gave many presentations to the visiting client Vice Presidents explaining the various best practices followed at the offshore. I was responsible for optimization of one of the critical client processes. Before the end of my tenure I was made responsible for the training, and performance improvement of three junior team members.

2) Duration: 2 years (by Sep 2009)
Profile: I am currently involved in a Sales and Marketing venture. I started a company which is involved in sales and Marketing of Timeshare memberships and Insurance products. Current responsibilities are extensive, ranging from managing the Human and other resources to managing the finances of the business. Being a start up it denies me any pleasure of outsourcing and delegating. I have a team of 5 members and manage the entire process along with my business partner.

Extra curricular:
Before Under graduate:
1) Represented my district at State level Badminton tournament. Won many badminton tournaments at district level.
2) I was captain of my school and college badminton teams.

During Under graduation:
1) I was the youngest member of the students’ council of my college. Worked in the capacity of a Sports Secretary during my second year of graduation.
2) Went on to become the General Secretary of my college. Led the committee which organized the inaugural Inter Collegiate Sports fest. The same committee under my leadership went on to organize a highly appreciated Cultural College fest.
3) Worked as treasurer of the IEEE students chapter of my college. Played key role in planning and executing the hitherto most successful Inter collegiate Technical fest of the college.
4) In the same fest, led the sponsorship team, which pulled of a miraculous performance. Eventually translating to success of the fest.
5) Led the college team in various Inter collegiate Badminton tournaments. The team produced commendable results.

After Under Graduation:
1) Formed a professional group which strongly believes in and works along with various NGOs in bringing joy to those who deserve more than they have.
2) Involved with a nation wide education campaign.

Short term goal:
To develop a strong set of analytical tools in Marketing and Strategy and work with one of the giants in industry such as Mckinsey, Ernst and Young, Deloitte Consultancy.

Long term goal:
Use all the skills and experiences to build a global Consultancy Firm that would stand a testimony to the ethics and cultures I will have imbibed through my experiences in life.

Schools:
Tuck, Emory, Kelly, NUS, Simon, Babson, Katz, Illinois- Urbana Champaign, Fisher, W P Carey, Tippie, TAMU.

Kindly give me your suggestions about my selection of colleges and my relative chances to the colleges in the above list.

Thanks,
Simplygood.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Kevin,

I need an evaluation but situation here is little different than most of the Business School applicants

I am applying for International Relation programs. MY target is MALD (Master of Art in Law and Diplomacy) program at Tufts University's Fletcher School. I would really appreciate if you can give me some suggestion.

GMAT Score: 710
Ethnicity: East Indian
Educational Background:
MS in Aerospace Engg from University of Texas at Arlington (3.1/4.0)
BS in Mechanical Engg from a reputed university in India (3.3/4.0)

Work Experience:
1yr 10 months at the start of the program
I am currently working as a Development Engineer with Ingersoll Rand. Mainly dealing with new product introduction and technical development. I am a Six Sigma Green belt now.

Before graduate school I was taking care of my family business of technical consulting and manufacturing in India. I did that for a year.

EC activities:

-I have presented three technical papers.
-Assisted local communities in distribution of food and other necessity during floods (2 times)
-Given shelter to minorities during communal riots
-Trained Indian Classical Musician, have performed on Indian National Television
-Used to perform as a rhythm guitarist in a Pink Floyd cover band
-Have authored a blog related to International Conflicts with readership of 284 people
-In process of starting my own company for aerospace software consulting (not sure if this will help since it is not finished yet. I am updating software codes from my Master's thesis and collaborating with some other new found research companies)
- Speak 4 Indian languages fluently
-Speak Japanese fluently and taking some classes in German

Goal after completion of MALD program
-Seek career in security related business consulting. I believe that my Aerospace Engg background would be helpful since most of the defence technologies are aerospace technologies. My focus is more on impact of PTBT or Ballistic Missile treaty on business relation between countries and impact of such international treaties and other weapon deals on specific business sector of certain countries.

Based on the information can you give me an idea where I need some more work. I already applied to Fletcher school last year and did not get acceptance, since I was applying based on 3 years old GRE scores.

I would also appreciate if you can suggest me some business schools, which can help me to get to my goals.

Thank You
-CA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Clear Admit

Hi! I am planning on applying to Stanford, HBS, UC Berkeley, & Booth. I take my GMAT in 8 days but I hope to make @ or near the 700+ mark (I have been scoring 720-770 consistantly on practice CAT GMAT Tests through multiple companies). Please let me know if my profile will be competitive. Also, indicate if a higher GMAT Score would help in these schools

Anthony Johnson
Male
1/2 Caucasion, 1/2 Korean - (Military Kid: Born in Seoul [US Citizen] for 1 year, lived in TX for 5, Japan for 6, and AR for 14 years)
Undergrad: 3.3 BS in Computer Engineering @ University of Arkansas - Fayetteville
Graduate: JD 3.5 Top 10% of class @ UALR - Bowen School of Law
-Also: Studied in Paris France for a summer concentrating on international labor law and EU law

Work:
-Financial Advisor for 3 years. (Series 7, 66, and Insurance Licenses)
-Worked at 6 top law firms in state of AR over the course of 3 years (our schools interviews for semester length terms of employment so the more you work is actually better)
-Founder of Tech Startup (ThanksBud, an online marketplace for buying and selling service)
--Company won Donald W. Reynolds Governor's Cup business plan competition
-Started a Company called, "Denim Addiction" where I sold designer jeans purchased overstock from Bloomingdales to soroity girls. Grew this company to over 4 employees, 2 cities, and $400k revenue in it's third year until my supplier cut me off. ;)

Career Goals:
-With my background in Computers and Finance, I would like to work in the VC industry or as an entrepreneur. That is the main reason that I am applying to B-school. My preference is San Francisco (as indicated by the Stanford/UCBerkeley choices) or the bay area. I want to attend B-school more for the connections, and, since I already have a JD, I do believe that, unless I get into a top 10 school, attending would not be in my best interests.

Community/Extracurricular:
-Young Professionals Association
-Young Democrat
-Arkansas Bar Association
-Play Guitar & inter mural sports
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V20
Send PM
Clear Admit,

Please evaluate - which univ would be a stretch and and give me suggestion for Univ selection.

GMAT : 650. Have registered again, hoping to get above 700.

Bachelors : B Tech - Information Technology, from Top University in India.
GPA: 3.9

Work Experience : 1.5 Years of ERP (Consulting Experience) from one of Big 4. Also, have 6 Months of internship experience (during final semester at College) in IT Product development industry.

Extracurricular & Community Service : Have involved in various activities ranging from Animal welfare, Forestry (IPAN) - 3 Months, helping HIV/AIDS affected people - 3 months, and lead a School Adoption Programme.

Future Career Goal : Get into Marketing Strategy. Very much interested in Strategy. But not sure of the exact kind of Industry that I would get into upon completion of my MBA. It would be a career switching in my case. Should I have some previous exposure to marketing? I am planning to change my job to a Start up company that has a scope in Marketing / Project Management.

Shortlisted:
Top: NYU Stern, Dartmouth, Yale, Duke
Medium: UCLA, UNC - Champhill, Indiana Kelly
Safe: RICE, Thunderbird, University of South California (Marshall)

Please Add / Remove universities from this list as per chances of getting into.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Send PM
Hi all, sincere apologies for being absent for some long. Due to the hectic volume of applications we received in round one, we were unable to continue to monitor this thread in the last few weeks before all the R1 deadlines. We are back now, and will be happy to answer any inquires.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Chen
Clear Admit LLC
info@clearadmit.com

Clear Admit School Guides: https://www.clearadmit.com/guides
Send PM
Hi Saravanan, thanks for your inquiry.

I believe you are applying to the appropriate level of schools. While your competitiveness certainly will increase if you get a 700+ GMAT score and accumulate more senior-level work experience (namely, experience involving project management and leadership), you also should be ready to tell a coherent career story that ties together your past/present with your future career goal in marketing. Adcoms like to see as much as specificity as possible when an applicant discusses his/her career goals. For this reason, it would help if you go through with your plan to work for a start-up company in marketing so that you can discuss more substantively your goals in this function. However, this also means that you should work at the new firm for at least one year before applying so that you can demonstrate a more substantial commitment in this field. Adcoms are wary of candidates who jump from job to job too often. Keep in mind that as an Indian IT consulting professional, you do come from an oversubscribed group, so it is all the more important that you try to differentiate yourself by being as vivid and specific as possible when discussing your career progression and plans.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Chen
Clear Admit LLC
info@clearadmit.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Clearadmit,

I would still like your opinion on my profile posted above.

Thanks!

Aj1545

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Hi Anthony, thanks for your patience. Please see my response below.

Male
1/2 Caucasion, 1/2 Korean - (Military Kid: Born in Seoul [US Citizen] for 1 year, lived in TX for 5, Japan for 6, and AR for 14 years)
Undergrad: 3.3 BS in Computer Engineering @ University of Arkansas - Fayetteville
Graduate: JD 3.5 Top 10% of class @ UALR - Bowen School of Law
-Also: Studied in Paris France for a summer concentrating on international labor law and EU law

Work:
-Financial Advisor for 3 years. (Series 7, 66, and Insurance Licenses)
-Worked at 6 top law firms in state of AR over the course of 3 years (our schools interviews for semester length terms of employment so the more you work is actually better)
-Founder of Tech Startup (ThanksBud, an online marketplace for buying and selling service)
--Company won Donald W. Reynolds Governor's Cup business plan competition
-Started a Company called, "Denim Addiction" where I sold designer jeans purchased overstock from Bloomingdales to soroity girls. Grew this company to over 4 employees, 2 cities, and $400k revenue in it's third year until my supplier cut me off.

Career Goals:
-With my background in Computers and Finance, I would like to work in the VC industry or as an entrepreneur. That is the main reason that I am applying to B-school. My preference is San Francisco (as indicated by the Stanford/UCBerkeley choices) or the bay area. I want to attend B-school more for the connections, and, since I already have a JD, I do believe that, unless I get into a top 10 school, attending would not be in my best interests.

Community/Extracurricular:
-Young Professionals Association
-Young Democrat
-Arkansas Bar Association
-Play Guitar & inter mural sports

You certainly have a distinctive personal and professional background that could be leveraged to your advantage in the applications. Have you taken the GMAT and scored in the range you projected? Assuming you got a 720+ score, you should be a competitive candidate, but given the expected high application volume this year, you will still need to work extra ehard on the application essays if you're not considering any schools that are slightly easier to get into than the ones on your list.

Keep in mind that while b-school adcom officers know that it's a reality that many people attend b-school for the network, they still do not like to hear that in the application process, so make sure you do NOT attention networking as one of your primary reasons for going to b-school; instead, focus on the skills and experiences you need to acquire in b-school in order to fulfill your career goals.

Furthermore, while your success in founding various companies certainly can be used to prove that you will excel again as an extrepreneur in the future, you should note that adcom officers also have an aversion against so-called "serial entrepreneurs". So, in describing your entrepreneurial ventures, you should be as specific and concrete as possible when detailing the tangible positive impacts you generated via your ventures, so that you can dispel adcom officers' stereotype of serial entrepreneurs as speculators who don't create tangible value while flitting from place to place.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact us at info@clearadmit.com for a more detailed evaluation of your profile. Good luck!

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Chen
Clear Admit LLC
info@clearadmit.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Kevin,

Can you please evaluate my profile. I would like to add one more thig. I retook GMAT yesterday and got 760. So thats an update on my profile

Thank You
Send PM
Hi CA, thanks for your note. Please my comments below.

I am applying for International Relation programs. MY target is MALD (Master of Art in Law and Diplomacy) program at Tufts University's Fletcher School. I would really appreciate if you can give me some suggestion.

GMAT Score: 710
Ethnicity: East Indian
Educational Background:
MS in Aerospace Engg from University of Texas at Arlington (3.1/4.0)
BS in Mechanical Engg from a reputed university in India (3.3/4.0)

Work Experience:
1yr 10 months at the start of the program
I am currently working as a Development Engineer with Ingersoll Rand. Mainly dealing with new product introduction and technical development. I am a Six Sigma Green belt now.

Before graduate school I was taking care of my family business of technical consulting and manufacturing in India. I did that for a year.

Yes your background certainly is different from many others'! With the new 760 GMAT, your competitiveness should be signficantly enhanced this year vs. last year, both for Fletcher as well as for other international relations/public policy programs and MBA programs. One of your key strengths is that not only is your career goal distinctive within the field of consulting (because it's not the general strategy consulting that most people want to get into), but you also seem to be able to provide ample details behind that goal. For this reason, you should be able to come across as a thoughtful, conscientious applicant who has thought clearly and careful about his career path and therefore has a high probability of succeeding in that path. In your applications, make sure you continue to demonstrate your understanding of your career goals by being as concrete and detailed as possible in your essays.

I do see one complication - what will you do with your start-up aerospace company if you start school in fall 2010? Graduate schools typically want students to focus on their studies full-time, but on the other hand, saying that you plan to quit the start-up after returning to school would make your plan for the company seem unrealistic. For this reason, you need to strategize carefully about how to present this plan - for example, perhaps you have a partner (or partners) who can assume leadership of the company while you're in school?

In terms of target schools, a number of top general management MBA programs should serve you well - Michigan, Tuck, Darden and Fuqua are a few schools that come to mind. As for international relations/public policy programs, you should look into Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School, Harvard's Kennedy School, Columbia's SIPA, and SAIS at Johns Hopkins.

Hope this helps. Good luck! Feel free to contact us at info@clearadmit.com for a more detailed evaluation of your profile.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Chen
Clear Admit LLC
info@clearadmit.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Kevin,

Your advices are certainly helpful. Your reply came at very right time. I am in Boston right now. I am here for admission interview at Fletcher.
Send PM
fletcherMALD wrote:
Thanks Kevin,

Your advices are certainly helpful. Your reply came at very right time. I am in Boston right now. I am here for admission interview at Fletcher.

Good luck!

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Chen
www.clearadmit.com
info@clearadmit.com
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4