Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
RonMexico wrote:
Toss my name in the hat - I'm trying to get Round 1 applications finished while doing combat ready work-ups with the squadron. It will be a very busy month, and if I have to slide to round 2, so be it. I need to place equal value on, well, not crashing. Anyone else applying from overseas / deployment?

Are you still applying to the same schools that you posted about in last year's thread? (H/S/W, Columbia, Tuck). If you're targeting five schools, that seems like a great number to spread between two rounds. There's different perspectives on application strategy in terms of app order and rounds, but here's a really good blog post from a new first year at HBS:
https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/2009/04/application-strategy.html

For anyone following this thread, I highly recommend reading through all his posts, there's some good advice, much of it military applicant related.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, Fuqua, Darden
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I'll repost since there is now a thread for this year. I'm a Navy guy who just returned from a deployment studying for the GMAT (test is in 2 days) and starting the application process at five schools: Kellogg (R1), Darden (R1), HBS (R2), Duke (R2), UNC (R2). I've got another deployment coming up early next year, and I need to make sure to have all of my applications finished (and hopefully interviews) by the time we pull out of port.

I can also vouch for https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com as a very good resource. The blog really helped me get started studying for the GMAT and deciding on my school list as I was heading home from deployment.

I will just be finishing my initial commitment next summer, so no post-9/11 GI Bill for me (ROTC scholarship). I don't really know how many military applicants are in this situation, and how the new GI Bill will affect the application process and financial aid for military applicants. Is there anyone else here in the same boat?
Current Student
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
gregarious wrote:

Are you still applying to the same schools that you posted about in last year's thread? (H/S/W, Columbia, Tuck). If you're targeting five schools, that seems like a great number to spread between two rounds. There's different perspectives on application strategy in terms of app order and rounds, but here's a really good blog post from a new first year at HBS:
https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/2009/04/application-strategy.html

For anyone following this thread, I highly recommend reading through all his posts, there's some good advice, much of it military applicant related.

Great point, and yes, I am definitely spreading them between two rounds. Five in one round is a great recipe to go 0-for-5. I'm aiming to get three in for round 1. Still applying to those five schools, but I'm leaning to include a safety school in that list - probably Texas. At the end of the day, we are all just rolling the dice. I personally have lost 5 straight rolls at the tables before, so you never can be too safe......

I decided on B-school well before the 9/11 GI-bill was even dreamed of, but what a gift from the sky. Is anybody else here "old enough" to use it? It seems to me that most of the "typical officers" (Service Academy or ROTC scholarship grads) cashing in are pilots - with the ten years of mandatory service. I personally know a few heading off to law or medical school, but nobody on the MBA path. Toss in flight pay and the bonus, and most people in my year group are making good money in a bad economy - to say nothing of the satisfaction you get from flying jets. I'm not sure how the GI-bill will shake up the numbers, but most of my peers seem to be staying in and using the GI-bill on part-time masters programs in a number of disciplines.

https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com is great - finally, an MBA blog that is not chock full of 20 paragraph posts about trips to Ikea or daily "waitlist update" existentialism. He has a great post about the GI-bill I just finished reading. I'm guessing his blog will attain mythic status among military applicants - he should certainly drink for free on all of us who used his advice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
I've read that blog before, and I agree that its a terrific source of information. After doing a refresher reading, I'm thinking about spreading them between rounds too, except before I was considering doing HBS in R1, then the rest of the field, to try to take advantage of the mythical R1 higher acceptance rate. After reading the blog, now I'm considering doing my safe school first, Anderson, and doing the rest of the field in R2. Regardless, if I get to HBS, and he's still there, whiskey's on me. And losing 5 straight rolls? Remind me to not stand by you if we go to Vegas together.

I too dreamed of attending BSchool before the 9/11 GI Bill (which I think is an incomplete bill to begin with) but I'm not sure if I qualify either. I fulfill the "service" time requirement, but because I used my Montgomery GI Bill for my BA, I'm not sure if I qualify for 9/11 Bill + the Yellow Ribbon program. Plus since it seems like I'll be the only non-officer whose applying, I'm somewhat of an outlier as well regarding military statistics. For me, I look at the young PFC/Lance Corporals I left behind, now getting their BA totally and absolutely paid for, and I turn absolutely green with envy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellog(R3),Olin (R3),Owen (R4),Tepper(R3),Johnson (R4)
Send PM
Posting here as I saw the 2009 message string first.

Im a former Army Officer, out since late 2007. I wanted to spend a couple years in the civilian sector prior to going back to school. I have been working as a consultant for almost 2 years and decided that Fall of 2010 would be my year. The Army had other plans however, as I have been recalled from the IRR back to active duty with a 13 month deployment to Afghanistan. Nothing like getting huge plans interrupted by the unexpected.

Prior to leaving Im going to retake the GMAT since 1st attempt didnt quite meet my expectations, and hopefully complete applications from overseas and hope for Fall 2011.

A comment on the new GI Bill: This seems to be a great deal when combined with the yellow ribbon program. Some schools contribute quite a bit towards tuition. You can visit the VA website and get a listing of what each school will contribute. The range is quite shocking from school to school.

Schools: Wash U (Olin), Dartmouth, Yale, Texas
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GrantChap wrote:
Posting here as I saw the 2009 message string first.

Im a former Army Officer, out since late 2007. I wanted to spend a couple years in the civilian sector prior to going back to school. I have been working as a consultant for almost 2 years and decided that Fall of 2010 would be my year. The Army had other plans however, as I have been recalled from the IRR back to active duty with a 13 month deployment to Afghanistan. Nothing like getting huge plans interrupted by the unexpected.

Prior to leaving Im going to retake the GMAT since 1st attempt didnt quite meet my expectations, and hopefully complete applications from overseas and hope for Fall 2011.

A comment on the new GI Bill: This seems to be a great deal when combined with the yellow ribbon program. Some schools contribute quite a bit towards tuition. You can visit the VA website and get a listing of what each school will contribute. The range is quite shocking from school to school.

Schools: Wash U (Olin), Dartmouth, Yale, Texas

Hey Brother. Welcome to forum. Your profile seems similar to mine (other than the officer part), and I'd make it a priority to knock that GMAT out before you deploy. That way, you can work on your app during your off time. I know 4 guys that applied to various programs while I Iraq, and all 4 of them got in. I think the "i'm applying from Iraq!" gives you a compelling angle. Not to say you should be thrilled you get to go to the 'Stan, but hey, take whatever advantage you've got.

With the Yellow Ribbon Program, I think for the schools you're applying too, they are extremely generous with the matching funds. The Yellow Ribbon Program is the one thing that really makes up for some the gigantic holes in the GI Bill that the congress cared less about because they were just looking to pass something and use it as a club to beat their opponents with. But the yellow ribbon program really helps out a whole lot.

But I will say to you, what I say to all my brothers who deploy, "Stay safe. Don't get fat. Don't buy too many hajii dvds cause you'll never watch them back her at home. Bring back more good memories than bad. And always watch your 6. We'll leave the light on for you till you get home."

Semper Fi brother.
Current Student
Send PM
GrantChap, it sounds you are taking things in stride and making the best of it. I've heard from friends in the Army about the effect that stop-loss and involuntary recalls have had on many people's lives. Several of the schools on your short list are known for being veteran friendly and plus you've got work experience to complement the military background. Good luck with studying!
Current Student
Send PM
Grant,

If you are serious about Tuck, I would simply "cold call" admissions now - they are SUPERB with veterans and the enrollment director is an Annapolis graduate. Since you have a year, I would talk to them early and often - quite a few veterans there that will help you out. PM me if you want a few more details.

**Edited contact info**
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]

Originally posted by FormerArmyDude on 07 Sep 2009, 19:47.
Last edited by FormerArmyDude on 25 Oct 2023, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
armycamel wrote:
Popping my head in and saying hello to all the new prospective military applicants. If anybody has any questions, feel free to hit me up!

Congrats on Ross armycamel!!

Same deal here as far as questions, etc.
Current Student
Send PM
Great to see all the current student support! I'm going to do my best to actually work on apps and not check this site every hour but keep the good discussion going. Hopefully once a couple of them are done then I can take a breather before it's time to worry about interview invites :o
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Vets are welcome at MIT Sloan, and I can answer questions.
Current Student
Send PM
Not too much recent activity here, so I figured I'd provide an update on apps. Submitted Wharton R1 right before the deadline and now working on Kellogg and Booth for upcoming deadline. Got a trip to Chicago the week they're due for an interview in Evanston and Booth Live so that's good motivation. How's everyone else's studying and apps going?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Went up to Stanford for a school visit and was throughly impressed with their faculty and their new curriculum. the takeaway i got from Stanford was that they're a CEO factory and place much more emphasis on graduates to go out and make a global difference, rather than being just a well read and talented employee. i loved the fact that they emphasized following your passion and giving you the tools you need to go out and achieve your dreams.

contrast that with Kellogg. I went to their info session later in the day in the silicon valley, and I must say, I was unimpressed. i think the problem was that i attended a session that was tailored for their high tech silicon valley audience. every question I asked which geared away from marketing and/or high tech, was replied with an answer that veered back to how great they were in marketing and great for high tech. marketing this marketing that. marketing marketing marketing. okay i get it. i asked about non profits and global affect, public policy and business partnerships and their history with societal impact. their answer: we have a great marketing program. don't get me wrong, i certainly believe Kellogg is a top school, i'd be a fool to not believe so, but at the end of the day, it seems that Kellogg is a school that spits out very well trained and educated employees and operators (probably the best in the biz), but not game changers and CEOs.

So i feel like schools like Stanford and HBS are just in totally different levels than Kellogg and other schools. Stanford and HBS know they have the cream of the crop, and gear their programs around becoming a springboard for their students to achieve great things, as opposed to Kellogg which knows they have extremely highly capable people who are looking to expand their experience to advance their careers.

this has caused me to broaden my search of schools to overseas and i've now added London Business School, INSEAD, and Oxford as possible schools to apply to, with Kellogg falling on the list.

anyone else?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Send PM
lakai777 wrote:
Went up to Stanford for a school visit and was throughly impressed with their faculty and their new curriculum. the takeaway i got from Stanford was that they're a CEO factory and place much more emphasis on graduates to go out and make a global difference, rather than being just a well read and talented employee. i loved the fact that they emphasized following your passion and giving you the tools you need to go out and achieve your dreams.

contrast that with Kellogg. I went to their info session later in the day in the silicon valley, and I must say, I was unimpressed. i think the problem was that i attended a session that was tailored for their high tech silicon valley audience. every question I asked which geared away from marketing and/or high tech, was replied with an answer that veered back to how great they were in marketing and great for high tech. marketing this marketing that. marketing marketing marketing. okay i get it. i asked about non profits and global affect, public policy and business partnerships and their history with societal impact. their answer: we have a great marketing program. don't get me wrong, i certainly believe Kellogg is a top school, i'd be a fool to not believe so, but at the end of the day, it seems that Kellogg is a school that spits out very well trained and educated employees and operators (probably the best in the biz), but not game changers and CEOs.

So i feel like schools like Stanford and HBS are just in totally different levels than Kellogg and other schools. Stanford and HBS know they have the cream of the crop, and gear their programs around becoming a springboard for their students to achieve great things, as opposed to Kellogg which knows they have extremely highly capable people who are looking to expand their experience to advance their careers.

this has caused me to broaden my search of schools to overseas and i've now added London Business School, INSEAD, and Oxford as possible schools to apply to, with Kellogg falling on the list.

anyone else?

To be fair, not every school should aim at become a CEO factory, its simply unrealistic. There are plenty of CEOs born outside of H/S. You experience at an info section certainly does not equate to the quality of a school. The choice is yours, but you should not make haste judgement.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
billyjeans,

you are absolutely right. i wasn't trying to imply that all schools should be CEO focused and that one should dismiss Kellogg simply from an info session. I was trying to condense my experience into a short post and I guess it didn't come out as well as i had hoped. so let me clarify.

Kellogg certainly has its fair share of CEOs and regardless of how many CEOs come out of school, the potential applicant should make his decision based upon student fit and expectations of the program. I want to reiterate the fact that i believe kellogg is one of the best schools in the world. but just as every school has a particular reputation, the take away i had from the info session at kellogg was that their entire school revolves around their marketing program, and the majority of their students simply want a great set of alumni and an mba to check the box to springboard them to a better job. nothing wrong with that whatsoever. i'm sure that represents 99.9% of all applicants of all schools.

what i saw at kellogg was that they attract extremely fine talent, their alumni are quite impressive, and their student experience what essentially was described as a 2 year "summer camp" where they learned lots of cool things, did lots of fun activities, and left with a great set of friends and with new opportunities ahead. for most, that's exactly what they're looking for, and again, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

but for me, i'm looking for something more than just a certificate, friends, and an alumni network. so right or wrong, kellogg dropped on my list. it doesn't mean that i'm definitely not going to apply, its just not on my definitely WILL apply list.

(besides, i don't think they'll miss me anyway. 90% of the people applying to kellogg are probably more talented and qualified than me anyway) :?
Current Student
Send PM
lakai777 wrote:
i certainly believe Kellogg is a top school, i'd be a fool to not believe so, but at the end of the day, it seems that Kellogg is a school that spits out very well trained and educated employees and operators (probably the best in the biz), but not game changers and CEOs.

anyone else?

Hey man, that's fit, and dont let anyone tell you that information sessions dont convey a small bit of that. Not everyone needs the obscure class visit, lunch in the cafeteria, “University” sweatshirt from the gift shop or whatever other dog and pony show is tossed your way to assess this fit. Defintiely reach out to a few veterans at the school - I know an ex-military person or two who graduated recently if you want to talk to someone, and I believe there is a vet here on GMATclub currently at Kellogg who can give you some perspective on the school. In the end, YOU are the one dropping $200K and 2 years, and if it the school doesn't seem right to you, it wont be.

From my perspectitve, I got the exact same vibe about the place - something about it was just a bit less serious than what I wanted. I can't put my thumb on it, but I think I share your feeling. Talking to those friends and attending an information session only validated that feeling. It is an eternal top-10 school, places well in EVERYTHING, and apparently is a damn fun time - but I really dont see me fitting in the place. We should all be so lucky to elimate top-10 schools from our wish list, but I'm not applying there either. The biggest reason for that, though, is the fact that I have no desire to live in Chicago.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9