Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1(W/o Int), HBS R1(W/o Int), Kellogg R1(Ding), Haas R2(W/o Int), Wharton R2(W/o Int), Darden(W/o Int)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
Anyone else feel the Round 1 deadline creeping up and thinking about deferring to Round 2? Out of H/S/W, I'm only applying to W so I'm not sure if I want to test the "first application is the weakest" theory that some friends have told me about (from their own app experience). On the other hand, it sure would be nice to get have a decision before Christmas . . .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
 Q50  V48
Send PM
gregarious wrote:
Anyone else feel the Round 1 deadline creeping up and thinking about deferring to Round 2? Out of H/S/W, I'm only applying to W so I'm not sure if I want to test the "first application is the weakest" theory that some friends have told me about (from their own app experience). On the other hand, it sure would be nice to get have a decision before Christmas . . .

I feel ya. I was getting a bit worried last week and thinking I may have to delay, but after a productive weekend and some time spent calming myself down, I think I'm going to push through for R1. My mistake was spending so much time on the first two applications I did that I didn't really allow myself as much time as I would have liked for Wharton. Not great given that Wharton's essays require a fair amount of new content versus what I had already put together.

You definitely shouldn't hit submit if you're not really ready. Have you written any other apps? Spent a lot of time writing your Wharton essays and having them reviewed? Do you feel like they could markedly improve with a few more months of seasoning? You just have to figure out if you're psyching yourself out or really do need more time.

Crazy that we only have 10 days til the deadline, huh?!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
ya, no kidding... this deadline is getting serious. anyone know if the recommendations need to be in by the 1st too? we're slammed at work and i'm quite sure my boss isn't going to get around to writing it until after the 1st.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
xerox wrote:
gmatbschool wrote:
Can someone give me an example of "complex problem"?
Example:
Once upon a time in Manhattan, you were working for a respectable guru of wealth management Mr. Madoff. One afternoon, he entrusted you the task of delivering some documents from the HQ to the corporate lawyers at Baker and McKensie LLC. You took the case with a bunch of extremely sensitive confidential corporate information with you, and left the building. As you were crossing the sreet, a female dressed in a black leather bike attire on a super fast Ducatti bike grabbed the case right from your hands as she was passing by you and sped away. It all happened so fast that your bodyguards and accompanying security guys did not have time to react. You set to solve the crysis! A week later Mr. Madoff turned himself in.

lol ok. but isn't that an ethical dilemma?

i have a story for this question but im concerned that i will be focusing on team + people dynamics part of the equation. The actual problem itself wasn't that hard.
Do you think that could work?
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V48
Send PM
The recommendations definitely do have to be in by the deadline. I think they will make exceptions if they come in RIGHT after, and it's only 1 rec, since they know how senior people can be about these things, but I would be terrified if that happened to me because it may result in you being pushed to R2 after all your hard work.

I would sit down with your recommender and impress upon him how important this is. See if there's anything you can do to help him complete them on time - laying out suggested talking points, etc. Ideally the person you chose is someone that gets it and wants to take the time to make sure you succeed here. I know how frustrating it is though... my boss is definitely a "last minute" guy, so no matter what I do, he'll have me biting my nails about them getting in on time.

From the Wharton discussion forum:
All parts of the application need to be submitted before the deadline to guarantee that you make it into round 1. There's a slight chance that if your recommenders submit their applications in between the deadline and the time that your application is checked for completeness, you may still be considered before round 1. But the order in which applications are checked for completeness is random and there is no way to predict whether yours will be checked 1 hour or 1 week after the deadline. So to be safe, I recommend that you communicate the importance of the deadline to your recommenders.

Also, note that you can submit your application before the recommendations are submitted. And you need to do so before the deadline in order to be considered for round 1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1(W/o Int), HBS R1(W/o Int), Kellogg R1(Ding), Haas R2(W/o Int), Wharton R2(W/o Int), Darden(W/o Int)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I am out of first round for Wharton. Going with H/S for first round. Still working on those apps.
Shiva
gregarious wrote:
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Essay 2 is killing me guys... Just brutal, for 750 - 1000 words!

If it weren't for that, I'd be in much better shape.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Recommendations wise---I would definitely push to have the rec in a few days ahead of time. Give them a date a few days ahead of the deadline within the recommendation deadline. 4 of my 5 recommenders have already submitted, but I erred in telling one of the recommenders to have it in by deadline. He's taking his time :P It's probably a mistake I won't make again. :P Especially since Wharton recs are probably the most in-depth questions I've ever seen.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
sharstarz12 wrote:
... Wharton recs are probably the most in-depth questions I've ever seen.

Yeah my boss is having a fun time filling those out, but maybe that process will serve as a good base for filling out the recs for the remaining schools/

* On a side note, typing these essays with a post-surgical (recent) shoulder is NOT fun.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V48
Send PM
I "lied" to all my recommenders and told them the deadlines were 2 days before the actual deadline, knowing some of them are big procrastinators. :)

Have one in and the other will be in by 9/29 (the "deadline").

sharstarz12 wrote:
Recommendations wise---I would definitely push to have the rec in a few days ahead of time. Give them a date a few days ahead of the deadline within the recommendation deadline. 4 of my 5 recommenders have already submitted, but I erred in telling one of the recommenders to have it in by deadline. He's taking his time :P It's probably a mistake I won't make again. :P Especially since Wharton recs are probably the most in-depth questions I've ever seen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Yeah, thanks HC Girl! I guess I'll have to try to coerce them to get the letters done soon.

Anyone else going to the Silicon Valley info session on Thursday?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Has anyone started that fellowship essay yet? It.is.killing.me. I can't think of ideas that aren't not so stereotypical. I think my creativity ran out with the other essays :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
HCGirl10 wrote:
Essay 2 is killing me guys... Just brutal, for 750 - 1000 words!

If it weren't for that, I'd be in much better shape.

Same here. This one is harder than the Stanford "What matters most".
I think I'm giving up on making this one strategically sound, PC, etc etc. I'm just going to PURGE :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
sharstarz12 wrote:
Has anyone started that fellowship essay yet? It.is.killing.me. I can't think of ideas that aren't not so stereotypical. I think my creativity ran out with the other essays :P

yeah ... this is not simple at all. I mean everyone's will sound similar unless you have a really distinctive personal story that tugs the heartstrings.
Current Student
Send PM
Just a couple more days to go, essays are almost done. Good luck everyone and we can all take a deep breath on Oct. 1st.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
For Essay #1, how specific do you all think they want us to be for our goals? Do they want a general goal similar to the one they used/quoted for Wharton, or do they want us to lay out our actual short/long-term goals? (i.e. "After graduating I want to work as a _____ for a _____ firm" or "Long-term I would like to start my own _____ firm specializing in _____")

My instinct was to stay general with the goal, show how that has played into my career thus far, and then explain how an MBA from Wharton would help me better achieve that goal, etc. So, I don't end up going into much detail at all as far as what specifically I'd like to do.

Thoughts?
Current Student
Send PM
For Essay #1, I started off in general terms about "Why MBA" as a goal but eventually did have a short paragraph discussing my goal of working in biotechnology and why I'm interested in it. I also followed that with a couple sentences on how I might want to work as a product manager and why my current experience relates to that. Like you were saying though, I'm wondering if that might actually be too specific so I'm thinking about taking it out.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  105   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts