Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink]
Hi,
I am still struggling with the essays and have no clue about the PPT. Anyways, just wanted your inputs on essay 1. In what depth are you guys discussing your short term and long term goals as the question doesnt specifically ask for them.
I am visiting Chicago for the event on 25th. Are any of you going to be there?

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
ACNguy wrote:
Not authorized to view that topic...

It is a copy of BB's post:

bb wrote:
Anyone up for a GMAT Club Meet?

I for one, have a selfish reason and would like to meet many of you in person. Walker and I were thinking of maybe organizing something in Chicago area (other locations such as Bay Area and East Coast are also possible). We’ve had success in the past just hanging out. If there is interest from 20+ people we can even put something more “official” 8-)

Depending on the interest, we can take it a notch further and organize something jointly with local BSchool admissions, something unique that is usually not available to an applicant. Ideas include a 3 hour gmatclub even at Booth/Kellogg that would include meeting with admissions, a sample 1-hour class taught by one of the top professors, tour of the school, and a chat with current student panel/alumni. Thinking of a weekend in November/December. I could try to get decent room rates with Hilton (have contacts in SFO and ORD) and we can find some cheap flights for those out of town. I may also be able to throw some frequent flyer miles for 2 free tickets for folks who would be valuable attendees but are broke.

Couple questions - Anyone see any value in getting a B-School event?
Or if you are already a student, would you have seen value before admissions? Is there a particular time frame that works best? Before R2 or After results are released?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.8
WE:Research (Computer Software)
Send PM
Going for R1

Am a bit worried as to what degree of whacko can one go with the slides. Anyone with a flashlight?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
walker wrote:
ACNguy wrote:

bb wrote:

I for one, have a selfish reason and would like to meet many of you in person. Walker and I were thinking of maybe organizing something in Chicago area (other locations such as Bay Area and East Coast are also possible). We’ve had success in the past just hanging out. If there is interest from 20+ people we can even put something more “official” 8-)

Depending on the interest, we can take it a notch further and organize something jointly with local BSchool admissions, something unique that is usually not available to an applicant. Ideas include a 3 hour gmatclub even at Booth/Kellogg that would include meeting with admissions, a sample 1-hour class taught by one of the top professors, tour of the school, and a chat with current student panel/alumni. Thinking of a weekend in November/December. I could try to get decent room rates with Hilton (have contacts in SFO and ORD) and we can find some cheap flights for those out of town. I may also be able to throw some frequent flyer miles for 2 free tickets for folks who would be valuable attendees but are broke.

Or if you are already a student, would you have seen value before admissions? Is there a particular time frame that works best? Before R2 or After results are released?

I'd definitely be down for a meeting, especially if we can do it on a Friday or Saturday if possible. As long as we can set it up far enough in advance to be able to get tickets/hotels booked I'd be really excited about doing this!

Also, this may not be appropriate, but I was hoping that any current students or alumni at Booth would take a quick look at my Booth essays. I've been fortunate enough to have highhopes take a look at them already which was great, just looking for a Booth student to take a look (no offense highhopes, your advice was great I just also want a fellow possible Booth rep take a look as well!). Let me know if any of you would be willing to do this?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
I'm definitely in for a meeting if it's on a Friday/Saturday. Preferably Bay area or Chicago or even NYC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
I attended the reception in San Francisco last night. Well over a dozen alumni in attendance from a variety of disciplines. Very informative
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
walker wrote:
ACNguy wrote:

bb wrote:

I'd definitely be down for a meeting, especially if we can do it on a Friday or Saturday if possible. As long as we can set it up far enough in advance to be able to get tickets/hotels booked I'd be really excited about doing this!

Also, this may not be appropriate, but I was hoping that any current students or alumni at Booth would take a quick look at my Booth essays. I've been fortunate enough to have highhopes take a look at them already which was great, just looking for a Booth student to take a look (no offense highhopes, your advice was great I just also want a fellow possible Booth rep take a look as well!). Let me know if any of you would be willing to do this?

Thanks!

may have some time, PM me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
pleonasm wrote:
What struck me was how down to earth these guys were and they provided a LOT of good career insights, especially in consulting and corporate strategy.

This has been the case at every Booth event I went to and nearly every Booth person I emailed. Very incisive answers to questions!

BTW, I've had about 3 people look at my essays, but I am still not sure they are ready - mostly because the people who looked at it weren't GSB FT students/alum. Is anyone willing to lend an eye and help me out? Would really appreciate it!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I attended the Booth Live event on Friday, was anyone else there?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the sense of community? Given the highly flexible curriculum and the tendency to live downtown and commute to campus, it seems that it might be harder to network and form stronger bonds.

The ability to customize my experience and challenge myself is extremely intriguing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the sense of community? Given the highly flexible curriculum and the tendency to live downtown and commute to campus, it seems that it might be harder to network and form stronger bonds.

This is something that I'm curious about too and hope to get a better feel for when I attend a Booth Live event next month. I can't remember which last year thread it was in, but I remember reading a pretty passionate post from Rhyme in response to someone claiming that Booth was a commuter school.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
unhedged wrote:

harder to network? No, No, No :) It is not true.
Booth focuses mainly on "breaking boundaries" activities for first month and all people around me (students, alumni and staff) do the best to help with networking. Moreover, flexible curriculum is the best way to build more connections outside my class. Now, we all in different classes but we see each other almost every day in Winter Gardner and usually have enough time to talk. ...... I live in downtown and at least 30 first year students live in my building. It is so typical to meet other guys from the school here that it is like a campus. There are also a lot of meetings in different formats with students. So, believe me, networking here is the highest priority. I'm seriously.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Product Management
Schools:Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Any recommendations on how to describe community involvement section in the app?
xyz org 01/2007 - preset President
- did abc and raised $$$
should this suffice or am i missing something?
Current Student
Send PM
gregarious wrote:
unhedged wrote:

This is something that I'm curious about too and hope to get a better feel for when I attend a Booth Live event next month. I can't remember which last year thread it was in, but I remember reading a pretty passionate post from Rhyme in response to someone claiming that Booth was a commuter school.

Yea I remember that post as well. I didn't think it was a commuter school until I visited. I just got that impression from asking about individual people's experiences. As far as the Booth Live event, I think there are some pros and cons to consider. A pro is the application review, where you discuss sample essays. Provided great insight into what the adcom looks for. A con is the class visit is with ALL prospective students, which gives you no insight into the class discussions of actual students. You are surrounded by so many prospective students that talking to actual students becomes tough.
Current Student
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
gregarious wrote:
unhedged wrote:

Yea I remember that post as well. I didn't think it was a commuter school until I visited. I just got that impression from asking about individual people's experiences. As far as the Booth Live event, I think there are some pros and cons to consider. A pro is the application review, where you discuss sample essays. Provided great insight into what the adcom looks for. A con is the class visit is with ALL prospective students, which gives you no insight into the class discussions of actual students. You are surrounded by so many prospective students that talking to actual students becomes tough.

Could you care to provide a brief summary of what you recall of "what the adcom looks for"? Anything drastically different than what they state in chats/infosessions/blogs?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Bumping this thread up. Any one has walker's powerpoint slide thread saved?

found it :)

walker-s-guide-to-slide-presentation-80253.html
Current Student
Send PM
boogs wrote:
Could you care to provide a brief summary of what you recall of "what the adcom looks for"? Anything drastically different than what they state in chats/infosessions/blogs?

The overall message I heard was they want applicants who push themselves and have demonstrated this in their work experience. Also, they really want the slide deck to be humanizing. It seems they are very used to "check the box" finance folks.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the info unhedged. I will make extra effort to not be a "check the box" engineer.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a status update on recommendations through the Booth application system? Does it tell you when recommendations have been submitted anywhere?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts