Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [118]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [39]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1141 [5]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations have infla [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
One purpose of the subjunctive mood is to express an action that is HYPOTHETICAL: an action that might not actually happen.
When we request an action, we cannot be certain that the request will be fulfilled.
Because the requested action might not actually happen, we use the COMMAND SUBJUNCTIVE.
The structure of the command subjunctive is as follows:
SUBJECT + BOSSY WORD + THAT + NOUN DIFFERENT FROM THE SUBJECT + BARE INFINITIVE
Bossy words are verbs such as propose, dictate, request, etc.
The bare infinitive is the infinitive form of a verb with the to omitted.

Example:
The attorneys proposed that the new contract take effect next year.
In the sentence above:
Subject = the attorneys
Bossy word = proposed
Noun different from the subject = the new contract
Bare infinitive = take effect (to take effect with the to omitted)

The OA to the SC above:
The treaty specifies that the economy have an inflation rate and be resistant.
Here:
Subject = the treaty
Bossy word = specifies
Noun different from the subject = the economy
Bare infinitives = have (to have with the to omitted) and be resistant (to be resistant with the to omitted)
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations have infla [#permalink]
Kudos
quick question though, economy of each member nation ( singular) - 'has' instead of ' have' , this is incorrect in B. could you please explain more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations have infla [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Its A

In other options we see "each" or "Every" and this should always be followed by singular i.e "has" and not "have" as we are talking about each individual

Hope this explains........
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The treaty specifies that the economy of the member nations have infla [#permalink]
Bookmarks
+1 for B

a.wrong in meaning as it implies single economy for many nations.
b.'Each member nation', this takes plural verb since we are talking about many nations inside a group 'member nation'
c.Wrong for using 'every economy'. Means there are more than 1 economy in a nation
d.economies of each member also means there are more than 1 economy in a nation
e.economies of every member also means there are more than 1 economy in a nation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Supply Chain, Logistics
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Send PM
Bookmarks
can someone list the frequently used verb in subjunctive mood? I have the following:

Demand, Insist, Propose, Require, Mandate, Dictate, Stipulate, and Suggest.
Manager
Manager
Status:exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
cananybody guide me to some likn giving details of subjunctive
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) economy of the member nations have inflation rates of less than three percent and resist
These are regulations that are being imposed therefore resist isn't the right word for something to be intended as a requirement

(B) economy of each member nation have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to
This sentence is in excellent condition and looks perfect

(C) every economy of the member nations have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to
This conveys as though the nationns have no of economies

(D) economies of each member nation have inflation rates of three percent or less and are resistant to
This is redundant and this portrays as an existing condition rather than one to maintain

(E) economies of every member nation have three percent or less of an inflation rate and resist
Same reasons as A and the less than 3 percent isn't clear
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Am i right to think subjunctive mood is not the elimination factor here?

(A) economy of the member nations have inflation rates of less than three percent and resist
(B) economy of each member nation have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to
(C) every economy of the member nations have an inflation rate of less than three percent and be resistant to
(D) economies of each member nation have inflation rates of three percent or less and are resistant to
(E) economies of every member nation have three percent or less of an inflation rate and resist

economies of each/every member = wrong, each nation should have one economy - D&E out
the every economy of ... C out
between A&B, both "resist" and "be resistant to" are in purest form already so subjunctive is not an issue,

I eliminate based on meaning, A groups all nation and consider the economy/interest rate in aggregate, which is not the intention = wrong.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
faat99 wrote:
Am i right to think subjunctive mood is not the elimination factor here?

economies of each/every member = wrong, each nation should have one economy - D&E out
the every economy of ... C out
between A&B, both "resist" and "be resistant to" are in purest form already so subjunctive is not an issue,

I eliminate based on meaning, A groups all nation and consider the economy/interest rate in aggregate, which is not the intention = wrong.

Hello faat99,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, yes, the primary errors in these answer choices are of meaning.

One point that we would like to add is that Option A has another meaning error in its use of "resist external tariffs". It does not make much sense to say that an economy should be able to resist a tariff; doing so implies that the economy should be able to avoid being tariffed, but tariffs are imposed by external parties.

It makes more sense to say that an economy should "be resistant to external tariffs"; this implies that the economy should be able to withstand or mitigate the effect of the tariffs.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts