Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Bitten Twice [#permalink]
Booked the retest (5th time in total!!) on 30 Sep 09.

1st 2 tests were taken in 2004 and 2005. Therefore there is a slight gap.

OG 12 stuff:-
[V] Particularly vulnerable in RC (ongoing), CR (bold-face type) and SC (according to Manhattan SC guide, Odds and Evens)
[Q] Completed. Vulnerable in DS (number properties and sequences)

Intend to cover during the remaining period:-
1. GMAT paper-based tests (Verbal only)
2. GMATPREP

This is probably my last chance at getting a 700+ score. Any advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
plz don't feel offended, do you leave lot of things on chance ? I mean guessing lot of questions and at times the answers coming out to be correct ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
plz don't feel offended, do you leave lot of things on chance ? I mean guessing lot of questions and at times the answers coming out to be correct ?

the questions on GMAT are alot more tricky i guess and during V (in the last GMAT attempt) on several SC questions, i'm left with 2 options that i have to guess...

i'm generally weak in RC (about 70-80% correct in OG 12)...

somehow i feel that the questions on GMATPREP are alot easier... very clear cut as to which option is the correct answer...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
boeinz wrote:
Booked the retest (5th time in total!!) on 30 Sep 09.

1st 2 tests were taken in 2004 and 2005. Therefore there is a slight gap.

OG 12 stuff:-
[V] Particularly vulnerable in RC (ongoing), CR (bold-face type) and SC (according to Manhattan SC guide, Odds and Evens)
[Q] Completed. Vulnerable in DS (number properties and sequences)

Intend to cover during the remaining period:-
1. GMAT paper-based tests (Verbal only)
2. GMATPREP

This is probably my last chance at getting a 700+ score. Any advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance.

Hi - take a look at this plan I have prepared specifically for those at 650 level seeking get past the 700.
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
boeinz wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

the questions on GMAT are alot more tricky i guess and during V (in the last GMAT attempt) on several SC questions, i'm left with 2 options that i have to guess...

i'm generally weak in RC (about 70-80% correct in OG 12)...

somehow i feel that the questions on GMATPREP are alot easier... very clear cut as to which option is the correct answer...

I agree that it often we have to guess between 2 options, that why its called intelligent guess :)

Anyway, generally variations in score can be due to reasons like
> you are weak at few topics, and on a particular day you came across questions from these weak areas.
> because of time you have to guess wildly in last 6-7 questions. On a lucky day your score would be elevated.
> At different times in a day, your brain functions differently. E.g., may be in morning you perform better on the same test, then at late nights.

So, you need to investigate the root cause for low scores and work on that, instead of going through the whole lot once again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yes, am working hard on RC... [writing down notes after reading each para but its pretty time-consuming] ... and other concepts listed in my previous post...

(in addition) my self-evaluation:

1. tend to lose focus during the exam... hence i need to reread the questions, at times, thrice, esp for long questions...

2. not read and pick up every single word on the question, hence i fell into those typical traps..

3. must drink coffee before V (i was exhausted after my Q in my previous GMAT attempt)...

am considering to get the gmat math challenges by hackman to boost my Q? any feedback to those challenges?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
1 week left. Good luck man.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Which schools are planning to apply ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1]
Send PM
Re: Bitten Twice And Thats It! [#permalink]
Kudos
hi all,

I took the gmat today and scored 710 (Q48 V39). Am glad that this gmat journey finally came to an end... Need to focus on the apps now... :)

GMATPREP 1.1 [ver 10] - 760 (Q50 V44) without AWA
GMATPREP 1.2 [ver 10] - 780 (Q50 V48) without AWA
GMATPREP 2.1 [ver 14] - 760 (Q50 V42)
GMATPREP 2.2 [ver 14] - 770 (Q51 V44)
GMATPREP 3.1 [ver 14] - 780 (Q51 V46)

The actual GMAT is similar to GMATPREP but its way too tricky. Even in Q now, you have to really read each and every word. The SC portion is way more difficult than GMATPREP. Struggled a bit on V as i need to rush the last 7 questions (including last RC) with 12 minutes remaining. Writing down notes for RC really slowed me down... but i think note-taking helped overall.

And also being an active participant in this forum really helped me. Thanks BB and everyone on gmatclub.
gmatclub rocks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Re: Bitten Twice And Thats It! [#permalink]
boeinz wrote:
hi all,

I took the gmat today and scored 710 (Q48 V39). Am glad that this gmat journey finally came to an end... Need to focus on the apps now... :)

GMATPREP 1.1 [ver 10] - 760 (Q50 V44) without AWA
GMATPREP 1.2 [ver 10] - 780 (Q50 V48) without AWA
GMATPREP 2.1 [ver 14] - 760 (Q50 V42)
GMATPREP 2.2 [ver 14] - 770 (Q51 V44)
GMATPREP 3.1 [ver 14] - 780 (Q51 V46)

The actual GMAT is similar to GMATPREP but its way too tricky. Even in Q now, you have to really read each and every word. The SC portion is way more difficult than GMATPREP. Struggled a bit on V as i need to rush the last 7 questions (including last RC) with 12 minutes remaining. Writing down notes for RC really slowed me down... but i think note-taking helped overall.

And also being an active participant in this forum really helped me. Thanks BB and everyone on gmatclub.
gmatclub rocks!

YOU DID IT! Man congrats! Nice 60 point jump! Any helpful hints to one who hopes to join you in the 700+ club in about a month?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Congrats! Your perseverance paid off.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@franklin: thanks and all to the best to you!

For Q, practise and practise and i cant stress this enough. identify your weak areas, say DS - inequalities, keep on working on it til you can hit a 700-800 type question within 2.5 min max.

For V, lots of reading... Harvard Biz Review articles, economist, etc...
My strategy was to nail the first 3 RC, i.e. get at least 8 out 9 or 9 out of 10 correct and then for the last RC, get 2/3 or 3/4 correct. i knew that notes-taking is going to slow me down so i have to make the best of it (timing). Otherwise, my RC was only about 60% accuracy...

@getmba: thanks too! all the best to you as well!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Congratulations on your score. Good luck with the rest of your application process
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Excellent commitment :) Great job
BTW your Gprep scores suggests you should have scored a bit higher? Anything went wrong in the actual test??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks mikecoolboy.

thanks economist. yea i may have gotten a higher score (esp in Q as im from an engineering background).... but i also think that gmatprep kinda inflates the scores... at least for me... therefore i tend not to take those scores seriously...

besides, the qus in gmatprep are relatively more straightforward than those in the actual test... and gmatprep is imo only good for test environment familization.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
did u take gmat club tests too? i think the quant there is comparable to the actual test
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Economist wrote:
did u take gmat club tests too? i think the quant there is comparable to the actual test

yes i took the free test and its a pretty good practice... get caught on alot of silly mistakes...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts