Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [443]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [7]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: GMAT Scores [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have some free time on my hands before I start work and plan to take the GMAT. To utilize the 5 free scores, I would have to send them when I plan to take the test (in about a month). I don't plan on applying to B Schools for at least 3-4 years.

How early is too early to send scores? Will they just open a file for me upon receiving them and wait for the rest of the application?
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [2]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
IntegerP wrote:
I have some free time on my hands before I start work and plan to take the GMAT. To utilize the 5 free scores, I would have to send them when I plan to take the test (in about a month). I don't plan on applying to B Schools for at least 3-4 years.

How early is too early to send scores? Will they just open a file for me upon receiving them and wait for the rest of the application?

There is not such thing as too early as long as you are within the valid score window. If the school thinks it wants you, you'll begin receiving thing in the mail from the school advising you to apply, otherwise your score sits dormant waiting for your application.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
IntegerP wrote:

I always thought that you had to send your scores the year of application (I may be wrong) but I would bet you can't let your scores sit for 3-4 years. My understanding is that schools clear their physical and electronic files each year.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bb wrote:

I always thought that you had to send your scores the year of application (I may be wrong) but I would bet you can't let your scores sit for 3-4 years. My understanding is that schools clear their physical and electronic files each year.

That may be true, but your score is valid for 5 years. If the school claims it does not have your score, you can contact the GMAC and the person you speak to can check the submission file to ensure your score was submitted to said school. (I had to do this once when a school claimed it did not receive my score)

https://www.mba.com/mba/thegmat

Quote:
How long are GMAT® scores valid?

Your GMAT score is valid for five years, so you have the flexibility of “banking it”—choosing to start your graduate studies right after university or later on. Remember, if at first you don’t succeed, you can take the GMAT exam again. Remember, though, that all of your GMAT scores from the past 5 years will appear on your Official Score Report.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
mohater wrote:
There is not such thing as too early as long as you are within the valid score window. If the school thinks it wants you, you'll begin receiving thing in the mail from the school advising you to apply, otherwise your score sits dormant waiting for your application.

Is there a point for me to send a score to a school that I have not decided to apply for? I have a similar dilemma. I don't expect to apply for B-school for at least 3 years, but am taking the GMAT in a few months. Should I send my score to schools that I *anticipate* applying for or just leave it for later?

I'm thinking that the best course of action is to send some of my scores to schools that I would consider but are not my dream schools - and during the actual process re-submit to the ones I apply for at $28 a pop. This gives me a bit of a buffer in case things don't turn out really well on test day.

Can anyone provide some more information on their experiences with this, if they've gone through the same? I wonder if schools would start sending solicitations if the score you submitted was very high.

Thanks for the help!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Lincfucious wrote:
Is there a point for me to send a score to a school that I have not decided to apply for? I have a similar dilemma. I don't expect to apply for B-school for at least 3 years, but am taking the GMAT in a few months. Should I send my score to schools that I *anticipate* applying for or just leave it for later?

I'm thinking that the best course of action is to send some of my scores to schools that I would consider but are not my dream schools - and during the actual process re-submit to the ones I apply for at $28 a pop. This gives me a bit of a buffer in case things don't turn out really well on test day.

Can anyone provide some more information on their experiences with this, if they've gone through the same? I wonder if schools would start sending solicitations if the score you submitted was very high.

Thanks for the help!

There is a limited window for the "free" submission of scores. You should take advantage of this as even if the schools clear their records, you can request the GMAC re-submit your score to the school (you're already paid for the school to have that score, you don't have to pay for it again).

No matter what, when you apply the school will receive ALL your scores. The schools can also "see" score cancellations. There is no real buffer the way you have it defined above. The only thing you're doing is donating more money to the GMAC by giving the group $28 per score submission three years from now.

Use your five schools when you take the GMAT. The schools won't look at your score UNLESS the school REALLY wants you to apply. If said school really wants you to apply, you'll start receiving stuff through the mail from the school. Otherwise, the score just sits in the submission file waiting to be tacked to an app.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM