Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Investment Management
 Q50  V40
GPA: Dismal
WE 1: Information Technology (9 yrs)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Co-President Student Government Association; Department Chairman
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
Hi!

Currently applying for Silver Scholars - I have a quick question regarding the apps. I tried using the Yale SOM Admissions Forum but had problems after registration so trying my luck here.

Since I'm a Silver Scholar I do not have full time working experience but have done lots of internships. Obviously I would like to put them into my application.

Now, among the sections of the application there is "Work Experience" and "Activities"

"Work Experience" instructs to only put in "full-time, post-baccalaureate employers", so I am assuming no internships (that were also during college) here. Correct?

"Activities" instructs to put "meaningful activites from college to to date". Does this mean activities (such as internships) during college go in here as well?
Was not quite sure with the wording.

Thanks in advance!
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
ehm000000 wrote:
Hi!

Currently applying for Silver Scholars - I have a quick question regarding the apps. I tried using the Yale SOM Admissions Forum but had problems after registration so trying my luck here.

Since I'm a Silver Scholar I do not have full time working experience but have done lots of internships. Obviously I would like to put them into my application.

Now, among the sections of the application there is "Work Experience" and "Activities"

"Work Experience" instructs to only put in "full-time, post-baccalaureate employers", so I am assuming no internships (that were also during college) here. Correct?

"Activities" instructs to put "meaningful activites from college to to date". Does this mean activities (such as internships) during college go in here as well?
Was not quite sure with the wording.

Thanks in advance!

Between the two, I would list your internship experiences under Work Experience. Internship exp is not activities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
i'm just about done filling out the forms and didn't see a place in the Academics section to mention awards received during undergrad.

is this correct? i got scholarships in college but have no space to mention those in my resume. what say?

Originally posted by niraja on 05 Oct 2009, 15:01.
Last edited by niraja on 05 Oct 2009, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Submit just now.... 220USD kind of expensive
Manager
Manager
Send PM
niraja wrote:
i'm just about done filling out the forms and didn't see a place in the Academics section to mention awards received during undergrad.

is this correct? i got scholarships in college but have no space to mention those in my resume. what say?

no one? if someone can answer this for me i can submit it today.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
niraja wrote:

I wouldn't mention scholarships unless it was a big, named scholarship. I mean every undergrad gets little scholarship here and there during his or her undergrad years.

Usually, one would mention it on his or her resume (Fulbright Scholar, etc). If you can't sqeeze it in on your 1 pg resume, why not just use the copy and paste option instead and squeeze it in there. It can't be more than one line.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks nink. its not a big scholarship such as fulbright or rhodes so i guess i will skip it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q42  V48
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Guys, how should one refer to Yale SOM in the essays? Is simply "Yale" OK, or should it be YSOM, or just SOM instead? A little confused now, because HBS is just HBS and it's pretty clear, but with SOM - not so much :)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
Count me in for R2

Applying through the Consortium
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
kzslacker wrote:
Guys, how should one refer to Yale SOM in the essays? Is simply "Yale" OK, or should it be YSOM, or just SOM instead? A little confused now, because HBS is just HBS and it's pretty clear, but with SOM - not so much :)?

I don't think this is big deal but students here refer to the school as YSOM, or Yale, depending on our preference. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: General Mgmt, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth (Admit R1), Sloan (Ding R1), Tuck (R1)
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Hi!, Nink,

Appreciate your inputs on this thread. Wanted to reach out to you to evaluate my profile for YSOM:

* 4+ years of work experience: 1 yr in boutique consulting, 3 yr in a top 3 consulting, few months in a marketing strategy role at a Fortune 500 firm

* Undergrad & Grad: in Engineering, from top 3 schools. Graduated at top of class at both. Decent involvement in extra-curriculars

* GMAT: 700 (Q48, V38)

* Long & short term goals: Want to start a services firm based on a very new business model (have flushed out the details but can't provide them here for obvious reasons). In short term I'd like to go back to consulting for 2-3 years to get rid of student loans and to make some additional industry contacts.

Questions:

* Based on this limited information, do you think I have a good fit for SOM?
* Interested in YSOM because in some of the other threads I read that SOM has a strong strategy & entrepreneurship focus (in addition to finance, of course). Is that true? Or does YSOM primarily focus on candidates interested in banking/PE/VC post-mba?
* Can you kindly provide some statistics on:
(i) % of SOM graduates that accepted an offer from a top 3 consulting firm (overall consulting percentage is available in employment report but not sure what kind of firms are represented in that)
(ii) % of SOM graduates that started their own firm at graduation (might be tough to track)

Thanks so much for your feedback and inputs. Would appreciate blunt answers ;) (better to know the hard reality)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Kudos
xyz21 wrote:
Hi!, Nink,

Appreciate your inputs on this thread. Wanted to reach out to you to evaluate my profile for YSOM:

* 4+ years of work experience: 1 yr in boutique consulting, 3 yr in a top 3 consulting, few months in a marketing strategy role at a Fortune 500 firm

* Undergrad & Grad: in Engineering, from top 3 schools. Graduated at top of class at both. Decent involvement in extra-curriculars

* GMAT: 700 (Q48, V38)

* Long & short term goals: Want to start a services firm based on a very new business model (have flushed out the details but can't provide them here for obvious reasons). In short term I'd like to go back to consulting for 2-3 years to get rid of student loans and to make some additional industry contacts.

Questions:

* Based on this limited information, do you think I have a good fit for SOM?
* Interested in YSOM because in some of the other threads I read that SOM has a strong strategy & entrepreneurship focus (in addition to finance, of course). Is that true? Or does YSOM primarily focus on candidates interested in banking/PE/VC post-mba?
* Can you kindly provide some statistics on:
(i) % of SOM graduates that accepted an offer from a top 3 consulting firm (overall consulting percentage is available in employment report but not sure what kind of firms are represented in that)
(ii) % of SOM graduates that started their own firm at graduation (might be tough to track)

Thanks so much for your feedback and inputs. Would appreciate blunt answers ;) (better to know the hard reality)

Haha. Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am not qualified to assess anyone's qualification for YSOM.

From my current class, we have classmates from various backgrounds (even background that you wouldn't think would qualify for bschool...) and we are all unique in our own ways. (Did I mention that we are all awesome? :-D )

I think for any school, solid background in finance (wall st) or MC is a plus. If you are an overachiever, and highly accomplished in these 2 fields, there aren't enough applicants from this pool for all the top bschools. Therefore, you should be in demand.

We have many entrepreneurial students at YSOM and some of the past students (in the last 2-3 yrs) actually started their own business while he/she was still attending YSOM full time. We have lots of resources (help from faculty, current students, alums etc) to help students if he or she wants to start a new venture of his or her own. For example, check out ( https://www.mba.yale.edu/news_events/CMS ... 6977.shtml )...Two members of the Class of 2009 launch a company aimed at revolutionizing transportation technology.

YSOM attracts all the top finance firms, as well as consulting firms (in addition to many mid size and boutiques) on campus year after year even in tough economy. In fact, YSOM is on the SHORT list of most top firms (MC or IB) this year for on campus recruiting. Many firms like Goldman Sachs and others are limiting their on campus recruiting this year but YSOM is one of few schools (about 12 to 15) on that list.

YSOM is an odd school because many students apply to this school thinking that it's a school for people interested in non-profit, or other fields, but in fact - about half the graduating class end up in finance year after year. Many others end up in consulting, and healthcare, in addition to other industries. Big plus is the fact that the school enrollment size is small compared to the list of companies recruiting at YSOM. Especially for students interested in consulting, our consulting club does a fantastic job of prepping students (2nd yrs to 1st yrs). Other clubs related in their respective areas do this as well. As a result, YSOM's reputation among the recruiters is very high year after year. (For consulting, it's a plus if you already have that background. Consulting firms only tend to look for specific individuals. Therefore, it's not volume they want, it's quality - as you may well already know.)

Also, whatever recruiting numbers that YSOM published for public access is all that I can reveal. All students signed an agreement with the school when we began our classes that we won't share any information that's only accessible to students. If we break that agreement, we lose certain privileges....

I wouldn't worry about job prospects at YSOM when you apply. There really is wide range of opportunities available here. You should really figure out if our CORE curriculum appeals to you. Also, try to visit the campus and meet current students and faculty. After your visit, if you feel that YSOM community feels like a home to you, then you pass the "fit" question. My job isn't to market YSOM or to convince others to come here. Everyone has different criterias when it comes to choosing bschool. The fact that I chose YSOM last year, is a pleasant surprise even to myself. I think there are people out there who "fit" into our culture and what we are trying to build over here. We are a small, and very tight group of individuals, trying to turn our dreams into reality. If you find yourself in love with YSOM after visiting us, then you should consider us. But if your goal is consulting, I think there are tons of other schools that you should look into as well. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: General Mgmt, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth (Admit R1), Sloan (Ding R1), Tuck (R1)
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Nink,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Saw the video, very helpful. A smaller program does offer advantages when it comes to entrepreneurship.

With the new job I am a bit far from the Yale campus so not sure if a visit will be feasible but I'll definitely start talking to current students.

Thanks for the pointers about consulting opportunities. One of the principals at my last consulting firm actually got her MBA from YSOM. She has been really pushing stronger recruiting at Yale in past 3-4 years.

I'll probably reach out to you again in future for your insights and inside scoop.

By the way, looked at the pics of the new building... what a stunner! Especially the classrooms with all those screens!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Stern, SOM, CBS
Send PM
I applied for R1 as well.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
ROLL CALL PG UPDATED
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:Wharton (ding), Kellogg (WL -ding), CBS (ding w/ int), Yale (int invite - ding), Anderson (in), Booth (int invite - ding)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Did anyone apply to attend the Explore Diversity event?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I am in for R1.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  46