Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: Resume [#permalink]
I read somewhere that unless you are Bill Gates, trim it down to one page. It also demonstrates how well one can priortize.

willget800 wrote:
How detailed and any good examples to look at?
Any good web sites?

I think all schools ask for a detailed resume. This looks like the first step.

How many pages long?

How many jobs to go back to?

What do you guys think?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
LBS asks for one page.

Chicago GSB does nto say anything about the length...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
*bump*

is a MBA resume supposed to be or look any different than a regular "applying for a job resume"?

does anyone have links to resume books or good examples of MBA applicant resumes? everything i found either required a recruiter log-in or were poor examples (IMO) on consultant sites.

also, i had A+ internship experience in UG, should i just list the dates, company and position while omitting details in an attempt to keep my resume to one-page?

thanks
Current Student
Send PM
should UG activities and community positions go on your resume or is there a place on the app for these?

and how appropriate is it to add interests/hobbies? this seems silly to me, i've never seen resumes include this until i looked at examples for b-school. i have a lot of leadership that i'd prefer to put in over my interests
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
Some schools specifically mention the format and length.If not better to keep it within 2 pages.

You can include your internship if you feel it is significant.Same case with ECs.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
sm176811 wrote:
Well I guess it depends. In US most people emphasize on a 1 page RESUME (as opposed to a CV). In Europe, a longer resume or even a CV is prefer/expected.

Agree with what he said. In US, when school say resume, they meant 1 page.

I've seen european's CV/resumes including their pictures. :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Own Kudos [?]: 1262 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
 Q49  V35
Send PM
IMO Resumes should always be 1 page - I agree it shows you can prioritize and pick out the most important skills acquired in those positions.

I suggest checking out your public library for examples. I found dozens of help books on the topic. It takes 30 minutes and if you are really serious about graduate school it is worth the trip.
Current Student
Send PM
i'm having trouble whittling down my resume. it's just a bit over a page, but extremely dense; i think it is just too heavy on text. could anyone suggest ways to get it down or if any students/resume experts want to critique, i'll be happy to send you an e-mail.

here are areas i think would save space, please provide your thoughts:
- summary of responsibilities before action/result oriented bullet points. i saw that resumes should have a brief summary of your role before going into the specific highlights, do you think this is necessary?
- a couple of lines about UG internship experience. being that i interned with a F50 all four years of UG, this is almost an year worth of wok exp and i think it adds to my resume, i also have an internship after graduating as i didn't start FT work until 9 months after graduating. i think that's too much time to leave unaccounted so i included the internship, the other half of that time was spent traveling. should i just leave this off and explain in the alt essay?
- tons of leadership and community involvement, how far back should i go? these are key roles that tell a lot about me and my level of commitment to community involvement. should i save UG extracurriculars for the application versus being on the resume?
- personal interests - is this even necessary? i see it a lot on resume samples for b-school and they say it helps provide for conversation during interviews.

thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
I think the biggest difference between b-school resume and job resume are the removal of heavy terms of art. For example, I don't need to list every trading platform, data base program etc I've used. They've never heard of that stuff nor do they care. Same thing goes for patents as that question was asked to representatives from Michigan, Cornell, NYU, and Duke at an event I was at. They pretty much said you're crazy to submit a resume over 1 page. I believe the NYU rep said they make you parse down to one page within your first 2 weeks of school so you might as well do it when you apply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
i'm having trouble whittling down my resume. it's just a bit over a page, but extremely dense; i think it is just too heavy on text. could anyone suggest ways to get it down or if any students/resume experts want to critique, i'll be happy to send you an e-mail.

here are areas i think would save space, please provide your thoughts:
- summary of responsibilities before action/result oriented bullet points. i saw that resumes should have a brief summary of your role before going into the specific highlights, do you think this is necessary?
- a couple of lines about UG internship experience. being that i interned with a F50 all four years of UG, this is almost an year worth of wok exp and i think it adds to my resume, i also have an internship after graduating as i didn't start FT work until 9 months after graduating. i think that's too much time to leave unaccounted so i included the internship, the other half of that time was spent traveling. should i just leave this off and explain in the alt essay?
- tons of leadership and community involvement, how far back should i go? these are key roles that tell a lot about me and my level of commitment to community involvement. should i save UG extracurriculars for the application versus being on the resume?
- personal interests - is this even necessary? i see it a lot on resume samples for b-school and they say it helps provide for conversation during interviews.

thank you

I don't know if you have the answer to this question already, but I guess for those who will come across this with the same dilemma, I suggest that you choose which leadership and community involvement you think would greatly sway the recruiters in your favor. You don't need to include every single item, just those that could probably reflect the values of the organization you've submitted your resume. Choose those that you have really shown your leadership skills, or in the case of community involvement, those with measurable impact.

Hope this helps :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
willget800 wrote:
Any good web sites?

How many pages long?

What do you guys think?

All MBA programs require a 1-2 pages resume for MBA in their applications. Your MBA candidate resume should focus on your professional and educational background, and highlight your achievements in these areas. The MBA CV is quite different from a traditional business resume in that it should focus heavily on MBA skills and traits such as leadership, teamwork and international work experience.

For more tips for writing strong CV please visit: https://aringo.com/mba-resume-tips-and-requirements/

And/or watch:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
radicalistlabs wrote:
willget800 wrote:
Any good web sites?

How many pages long?

What do you guys think?

A good resume should be 2 to 3 pages long.

Well, most b-schools expect applicants to submit a page long resume, maximum bein two pages. Anything longer does not sound impressive. These resumes have too many technical details, overflowing job descriptions and other stuff that is not relevant for MBA admissions. Moreover, I find applicants give unnecessary, undistilled info and leave it to the adcom to decipher that. That's wrong. A resume should be a crisp one page document, which the adcom can glance through and immediately draw an idea about your candidature. This is your first marketing document that they see, and as the saying goes, first impression is the last impression....definitely try to create the right first impression by presenting a resume that is in the B-school format, clear, concise and jargon-free.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Send PM
Most schools recommend 1- page resume. The MBA resume is different from a job resume. It is a quick snapshot of the applicant's professional skills, experience, key accomplishments, and interests.
For more details, click here:
https://myessayreview.com/mba-topics/20 ... -resume-2/
Thanks,
Poonam
GMAT Club Bot