Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
Hello,

This is for prashok/bsd_lover.

Are LBS interviews conducted by alums ? Will it be a blind interview or do they have access to complete file.
Also, any tips to prepare for interviews, especially the case question.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Just wondered if anyone has heard anything re: round 1 applications to date. I submitted mine on the 18th September (pretty much as soon as the applications opened) so was just wondering when i could expect a reply ?

The web site states that interview decisions are made on 7th Nov - does this mean that nothing is done before this date or that interviews can take place before this and any final decisions are made on this date ....

Thanks

Evi
SVP
SVP
Send PM
@humblewinner - My interviewer had my full file (Resume, essays etc.). He was an alum. LBS pays close attention to your background and matches interviewers to your background (if available in your location). Interviews can vary depending on person to person. I have heard reports of stern by-the-book interviews. My own interview was actually very informal. So, prepare for the worst.

@Evidence - what usually happens is that they send out all the interview invite decisions on the same date (7th Nov in this case). Then the interviews are conducted over the next 2-3 weeks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Thanks, i guess then i makes no difference whether you apply on the date the round opens or in the last hour before it closes. There is no 'benefit' in applying early within a round only in applying in an early round.

Interesting ... thanks for the insight. I had always thought they would operate a batch system based on when people applied.

Also could you assume that no news is good news if you have not heard anything to date? If the application was not up to standard given it has been almost 4 weeks since submission would a rejection not already have been sent ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I believe all rejects and interview decisions are sent on one date. Don't stress its just the standard way they do it.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management/International Business/Biotech Operations
Schools:LBS (R1), HEC Paris (R2), Oxbridge (R2), INSEAD (R2), Wharton (R2)
Hello!

I'm a newbie to this thread, but I just read through the ENTIRE LBS 2009 thread today and am very inspired to join this community. Bsd_lover, it's such an encouragement to read your whole story as I begin the b-school application process. I submitted in R1 last week and am just keeping all fingers, toes, and limbs crossed. Prashok, hello from CA! I am from Norcal =). I hope to someday join you all in London!

Mcnerdy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[quote="bsd_lover"]@humblewinner - My interviewer had my full file (Resume, essays etc.). He was an alum. LBS pays close attention to your background and matches interviewers to your background (if available in your location). Interviews can vary depending on person to person. I have heard reports of stern by-the-book interviews. My own interview was actually very informal. So, prepare for the worst.

Thank you bsd_lover
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Welcome to the community McNerdy. My story is better documented in the 2008 thread. The application process is a true roller coaster. I just hope that you all get that quick admit and can then relax and plan your move in London in good time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
https://www.mbaleague.blogspot.com/

contains many students blogs related to schools all over the world ....it will help us to know the school better
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey bsd,

update your experience ...lot of time has pass since your last info. on school ....
few questions also
1) do lbs conduct any pre mba-international program( around 3weeks--) and analytics(2 weeks) like it happens in hbs ?

2) is it true that if you mail any professor they try to give any student immediate respones?

3) tell us more about simulation test conducted in lbs ...you mention about somethng related to sharemarket simulation (if i am not wrong) last month ...does more simulation test were conducted ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
1. There is no pre-program in terms of study. Lots of pre-program drinking during the flathunters though. Our core courses (UGM, GLAM and Statistics) can be considered somewhat pre program like and the real core (Economics, finance, strategy etc.) begins a month later.

2. That is true if and only if your e-mail is well constructed (preferably grammatically correct) and asks some specific and meaningful questions. General enquiries should be sent ONLY to the MBA programme office. I cannot emphasise this enough. You dont want to harm your admission chances by sending out irrelevant e-mails to professors, who are incredibly busy people.

3. There was another simulation in which our study group took over an engineering company and tried to improve its fortunes by managing the various aspects of the firm (e.g. marketing/strategy, R&D, operations, finance etc.) It was incredibly time pressured and we had to make all our decisions about a quarter within 30 mts. Then we would have to read reports and results of our decisions and move on to the next quarter. We were competing directly with other teams (other study groups). So basically if we gained market share, another team lost market share. If we dropped prices, another team found itself overpriced. If we improved our technology, another team fell behind in that aspect. It was incredibly dynamic and fun exercise and it ran for nearly a whole day. There was a twist in the end - but I wont talk about it, because MBA2012 folks here might be doing the same simulation next year.

ankit1456 wrote:
hey bsd,

update your experience ...lot of time has pass since your last info. on school ....
few questions also
1) do lbs conduct any pre mba-international program( around 3weeks--) and analytics(2 weeks) like it happens in hbs ?

2) is it true that if you mail any professor they try to give any student immediate respones?

3) tell us more about simulation test conducted in lbs ...you mention about somethng related to sharemarket simulation (if i am not wrong) last month ...does more simulation test were conducted ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
1. There is no pre-program in terms of study. Lots of pre-program drinking during the flathunters though. Our core courses (UGM, GLAM and Statistics) can be considered somewhat pre program like and the real core (Economics, finance, strategy etc.) begins a month later.

2. That is true if and only if your e-mail is well constructed (preferably grammatically correct) and asks some specific and meaningful questions. General enquiries should be sent ONLY to the MBA programme office. I cannot emphasise this enough. You dont want to harm your admission chances by sending out irrelevant e-mails to professors, who are incredibly busy people.

3. There was another simulation in which our study group took over an engineering company and tried to improve its fortunes by managing the various aspects of the firm (e.g. marketing/strategy, R&D, operations, finance etc.) It was incredibly time pressured and we had to make all our decisions about a quarter within 30 mts. Then we would have to read reports and results of our decisions and move on to the next quarter. We were competing directly with other teams (other study groups). So basically if we gained market share, another team lost market share. If we dropped prices, another team found itself overpriced. If we improved our technology, another team fell behind in that aspect. It was incredibly dynamic and fun exercise and it ran for nearly a whole day. There was a twist in the end - but I wont talk about it, because MBA2012 folks here might be doing the same simulation next year.

oh you got me wrong regarding professor question ...my question was regarding current student and faculty relation ...not email by prospective student ....and plz pm me regarding twist thng
Intern
Intern
Send PM
and yes how many core topics or subject you need to take each term ? bcoz i was looking at core list in lbs site and i saw nearly 16 subjects ...so that number worries me ...thts all
SVP
SVP
Send PM
The first month we had 4 cores. Right now we have 5 cores. So that makes it 9 cores for this term with 2 more to come. Dont be intimidated by the numbers; this term, with 11 cores is supposed to be the heaviest (hence why I am not able to be as active on the forums as I'd like). In fact some of the cores (such as GLAM) just have 3 lectures so they whizz by. The next term is supposed to be a lot easier to help us with our job hunt.

The professors are great with current students. They respond and write emails even on weekends. They manage this while teaching 5 streams (400 students) simultaneously. Our ethics teacher taught us while she was 6 months pregnant. These committed teachers are world class - all of them have Phds from and have taught at other top schools.

I wont discuss the twist - who knows you might be studying at LBS next year ;)

ankit1456 wrote:
and yes how many core topics or subject you need to take each term ? bcoz i was looking at core list in lbs site and i saw nearly 16 subjects ...so that number worries me ...thts all
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey bsd,

how are rooms are given to students in lbs ? is it lottery system ? are you living in campus or out side campus ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
You have you manage your own accommodation. Most students live close to campus in privately rented accommodation.

ankit1456 wrote:
hey bsd,

how are rooms are given to students in lbs ? is it lottery system ? are you living in campus or out side campus ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks again
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert