Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q42  V49
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
fugo wrote:
Just got into Fuqua for my visit/interview tomm. 70-80 degree weather -- I could certainly get used to this.

Hey me too! It is nice, definitely better than the weather I left at home.
Director
Director
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
highhopes wrote:
I actually didn't get the e-mail even though I have a visit scheduled.

Duke really wants people to come visit. I'm guessing maybe they saw less people coming to campus to interview than they'd hoped. It's not like it would increase their yield to offer a break on app fees.

It seems like they do offer quite a few waivers. When I was at Weekend for Women last year, they offered [full] waivers to everyone who attended and it seems like there are a lot of waivers listed in their application.

Are you applying this year? Do you think they will honor the waiver for you? I attended the minority workshop last year and they offered a full waiver to attendees, but I am applying this year. Since people who attended the workshop last year cannot attend this year, I was wondering if I should try to see if the waiver is still applicable. If not, at least the reduced fee is $50 .

I suppose they might, I didn't even think to check.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
count me in for R1 :)
Director
Director
Send PM
So I had my interview. While most people said their interview felt conversational, I didn't feel like mine was that way, it felt more like an interview. It also had no flow to it, so I never felt a very good rhythm and there were a ton of questions to get through. He also kept looking up at the clock which was above me, which should not have distracted me, but I think it made me hurry a bit. So I don't really feel like it went that well. I feel like there were a few questions that in my head I was like, really, is that your best story? I'm not sure how long it was, probably in the 30-40 minute range. I didn't ask him too many questions because I knew a lot about Duke already.

Here were the questions:
Why MBA?
Why Duke?
Walk me through your resume.
Tell me about a time you worked with a team.
What was an experience you had leading X project & give an example of that experience.
What does diversity mean to you? Have you ever had culture shock?
What does it mean to be a Leader of Consequence?
What do you hope to develop at Duke/what things do you plan to do at Duke?
If you had to build a team of 4 people who would they be? After that he asked what my role on the team would be.
What are your strengths and weaknesses.
Tell about a time you faced and ethical dilemma and what did you learn?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Highopes,

Who Interviewed you? Was it an adcom member?
Director
Director
Send PM
snipertrader wrote:
Highopes,

A student...all Duke's on campus interviews are with students. Apparently a lot of students were doing interviews for their first time this week.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
snipertrader wrote:
Highopes,

A student...all Duke's on campus interviews are with students. Apparently a lot of students were doing interviews for their first time this week.

Woah, that is rough if it's students doing their "first interview".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
hi higehopes, did you do a self-initiated interview or an invited interview?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
So I had my interview. While most people said their interview felt conversational, I didn't feel like mine was that way, it felt more like an interview. It also had no flow to it, so I never felt a very good rhythm and there were a ton of questions to get through. He also kept looking up at the clock which was above me, which should not have distracted me, but I think it made me hurry a bit. So I don't really feel like it went that well. I feel like there were a few questions that in my head I was like, really, is that your best story? I'm not sure how long it was, probably in the 30-40 minute range. I didn't ask him too many questions because I knew a lot about Duke already.

Here were the questions:
Why MBA?
Why Duke?
What was an experience you had leading X project & give an example of that experience.
If you had to build a team of 4 people who would they be? After that he asked what my role on the team would be.

Goodness .. all of these questions in 40 minutes ?? really ?? That's rough
Director
Director
Send PM
asimov wrote:
hi higehopes, did you do a self-initiated interview or an invited interview?

It was self-initiated.
Director
Director
Send PM
pleonasm wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Here were the questions:
Why MBA?
Why Duke?

Well it was probably because I was a bumbling idiot during that interview. For some reason I could just not think.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
pleonasm wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Here were the questions:
Why MBA?
Why Duke?

Well it was probably because I was a bumbling idiot during that interview. For some reason I could just not think.

I guess that happens .. we tend to blank out at the most unexpected times, like I did when I was asked 'What 5 things would make you sleepless if you were the CEO of Hulu ?" On a lighter note

Why Duke ?
The name sounds kinda cool.. like the Duke of Edinburgh.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Self initiated interviews are running out if you want to get in for R1!

Just scheduled mine for 11/3.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q42  V49
Send PM
interviewed last week and i guess i should post about my experience. It was interesting - my interviewer was from a pretty non-traditional background so it made answering the why duke / career goals question a little more challenging. Anyways here are the questions -

Why MBA? (we ended up talking for 15-20 mins here due to follow up questions etc) - we covered why duke and why now here too.
pick a team of 6 people including yourself - who and why? / what would your role on this team be?
extracurricular experience (from resume)
what leadership roles will you take on-campus?
do you have quesitons - (5-10 mins)

all told the interview lasted approx 30-40 mins and was conversational but seemed very light and fluffy so i am not sure what to make of that. We didnt talk at all about my work experience which was a little unusual i think since i have been at 2 companies and had approx 5-6 yrs exp. I could have given a better answer to the pick a team question - it threw me off for some reason and i dont think i ever made it through getting to 6 ppl to be honest since there were follow-ups etc.

The class I attended was simply exceptional (esp when compared to other visits). I really liked the students i met, both the current students and the ones visiting which was good. On balance a good visit and I would recommend to anyone considering.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
fugo wrote:
interviewed last week and i guess i should post about my experience. It was interesting - my interviewer was from a pretty non-traditional background so it made answering the why duke / career goals question a little more challenging. Anyways here are the questions -

Why MBA? (we ended up talking for 15-20 mins here due to follow up questions etc) - we covered why duke and why now here too.
pick a team of 6 people including yourself - who and why? / what would your role on this team be?
extracurricular experience (from resume)
what leadership roles will you take on-campus?
do you have quesitons - (5-10 mins)

all told the interview lasted approx 30-40 mins and was conversational but seemed very light and fluffy so i am not sure what to make of that. We didnt talk at all about my work experience which was a little unusual i think since i have been at 2 companies and had approx 5-6 yrs exp. I could have given a better answer to the pick a team question - it threw me off for some reason and i dont think i ever made it through getting to 6 ppl to be honest since there were follow-ups etc.

The class I attended was simply exceptional (esp when compared to other visits). I really liked the students i met, both the current students and the ones visiting which was good. On balance a good visit and I would recommend to anyone considering.

Fugo, do you mind sharing which class you visited? I always love hearing reports from the prospies, even if I'm not officially involved in admissions anymore.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: GM
Schools:Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Send PM
I went to managerial econ - And they did equations for a hour and 15 minutes....very exciting :)

Brian, "candidate for MBA", profusely apologized to me lol, said it was the worst class of the year.

O well, still had a great visit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
did anyone hear back from admissions in the EA round ?

I applied in the EA round ( oct 6 deadline ) and i got a mail saying that my application is complete and my admission decision ill be sent by November 24. As per the website, the interview decision should be out by October 19 and i was little confused by the mail.

Does that mean that i will have no interview ? Did anyone else get a similar mail who applied in the EA round ?
I am an international applicant but current location is Canada.

Regards,
Neo
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts