Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Sloan & Haas (interview withdrawn)
 Q47  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink]
No rolling admissions, get that recommendation letter in by the deadline. I know the adcom folks can be a bit forgiving, but I wouldn't count on it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Sure thing. I am sticking with one example and in order to make it dense...I am devoting 1/3rd essay on making the stage.

for ex: For #3 - Please describe a time when you took responsibility for achieving an objective.

I have spent ~100 words settgin up the stage and how I fit in. I also explained why did I chose to take the responsibility.

Is that the right way?

thanks in advacne[/quote]

Setting the stage is certainly a key piece, I know most of the adcom folks and they work damn hard since they read every application with their small staff. If you can capture their attention and pull them into the story, all the better. I'm sure they get quite a few cookie cutter essays. One of them told me they read up to 10 apps a day between the deadline and interview announcement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Stern
 Q45  V41
Send PM
I like these essays a lot. Applying R2 if I don't hear from Stern R1 by early Dec...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
MMtrader wrote:
I like these essays a lot. Applying R2 if I don't hear from Stern R1 by early Dec...

keep in mind that Sloan R2 = R3 at other schools.
Current Student
Send PM
clarksdv2 wrote:
No rolling admissions, get that recommendation letter in by the deadline. I know the adcom folks can be a bit forgiving, but I wouldn't count on it.

Great! Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
clarksdv2 wrote:
Sure thing. I am sticking with one example and in order to make it dense...I am devoting 1/3rd essay on making the stage.

for ex: For #3 - Please describe a time when you took responsibility for achieving an objective.

I have spent ~100 words settgin up the stage and how I fit in. I also explained why did I chose to take the responsibility.

Is that the right way?

thanks in advacne

Setting the stage is certainly a key piece, I know most of the adcom folks and they work damn hard since they read every application with their small staff. If you can capture their attention and pull them into the story, all the better. I'm sure they get quite a few cookie cutter essays. One of them told me they read up to 10 apps a day between the deadline and interview announcement.[/quote]

Hey clarks .. thanks for confirming. I tried my best and hope they like it. Thanks for comfirmign that we need to set up the stage... I was discussing this with one of my friends and he said i am wasting words for sth that is not being asked. But I see your pt that this is a prerequisite.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
In creating the cover letter, how critical is it to minimize overlap between other essays? I realize its best to diversify, but my biggest impact on an org is also one of my biggest professional accomplishments. I'd rather put my best foot forward in the cover letter.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
unhedged, I am (procrastinating from) writing the cover letter right now :roll:
My current plan is to detail my biggest impact, and then just list my accomplishments. Cramming all this and showing fit with MIT in 500 words is quite a challenge! I am actually concerned about being redundant between the cover letter and my resume, but I think it is expected since the resume is a list of qualifications and accomplishments.
Current Student
Send PM
Recommender still hasn't completed the recommendation form. Guess it's time to send him another reminder, since there's only a week left. Hope he completes it before the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
What does the previous post mean that R2 at Sloan is like R3?
Does their acceptance rate drop significantly? Any numbers for that?
Current Student
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:

Sloan only has two rounds, so R2 is like R3 at other schools that have 3 rounds. And yes, your chances drop significantly.
Current Student
Send PM
milias wrote:
gmatbschool wrote:

Sloan only has two rounds, so R2 is like R3 at other schools that have 3 rounds. And yes, your chances drop significantly.

According to Adcom, they typically get half of each class from each round. R2 is usually larger than R1, so it is a bit more competitive, but I don't think it is quite the same as R3 at other schools, where you are basically competing for a handful of unfilled seats.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
In creating the cover letter, how critical is it to minimize overlap between other essays? I realize its best to diversify, but my biggest impact on an org is also one of my biggest professional accomplishments. I'd rather put my best foot forward in the cover letter..

IMO Dont worry about the redundancy. You have to put your best foot forth with cover letter. And then explain them in detail in other essays. For ex.. I expanding my two accomplishments in my other essays.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Mgmt, International MBA
Schools:IIMC, ISB, Booth, MIT, Emory
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I am also pushing for R1. Started my app on Sunday. Hope to finish by Sunday. My recommender probably is attending the Sharepoint Conference - so will need him to submit pretty soon as well when he comes back on Fri.

I had one question for essay 1 - "you went beyong what was defined, expected, established, or popular". My example does not have the popular aspect of the question. It just talks about what was defined, expected and established. My act definitely was popular. Does this really make a difference?

Originally posted by adabass on 20 Oct 2009, 11:50.
Last edited by adabass on 20 Oct 2009, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT, UCLA, Texas
 Q45  V38
Send PM
adabass wrote:
I am also pushing for R1. Started my app on Sunday. Hope to finish by Sunday. My recommender probably is attending the Sharepoint best practices conference - so will need him to submit pretty soon as well when he comes back on Fri.

I had one question for essay 1 - "you went beyong what was defined, expected, established, or popular". My example does not have the popular aspect of the question. It just talks about what was defined, expected and established. My act definitely was popular. Does this really make a difference?

The question says: defined, expected, established, or popular. Because it says "or", it does not need to address all of these points.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
adabass wrote:
I am also pushing for R1. Started my app on Sunday. Hope to finish by Sunday. My recommender probably is attending the Sharepoint Conference - so will need him to submit pretty soon as well when he comes back on Fri.

Wow looks like people are quick here. I just started on Essay 1 today. Looks like this is gonna go down to the wire too.
good luck !!
Current Student
Send PM
Are people counting the headers and signatures in their word counts for the cover letter? MIT is very specific on limits for the resume and essays, so I am being extra careful to be under the limits... I wouldn't be surprised if they automated word and line counting of submitted materials somehow.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  45