Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [168]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [3]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [6]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Moss wrote:
The toughest thing for me is finding identifiable gaps in my current skill set, and how an MBA will fill those gaps. Describing this is a tough balance, because basically all other parts of your essays, resume, application, etc, are spent talking about how great and terrific you are, which then has to be contrasted by showing weaknesses that an MBA will alleviate.

Its different than the "what is your greatest weakness" questions, which you can usually BS into coming out looking like a strength -- you must legitimately show how an MBA will help your career, and why you cannot do without.

I agree. In my case, I did some research on internet, trying to identify what are the variety of roles an IT Management consultant would do and the list of skills required. Also, I talked to my seniors who were already into this role. Now I had a list of skill-set required and another list of responsibilities of a typical IT Management consultant.

From list 1 of skill-set, I rated myself on each skills (e.g. good knowledge, basic knowledge, no knowledge etc). From the responsibilities list I marked those I'm already doing and those I'm not able to do coz of lack of knowledge. E.g. I cannot create proposals for clients coz of lack of knowledge in pricing, negotiations, competition, market trend etc.

Having said that, once this list was there it was very easy to identify some of the skills which MBA can provide.

Remember, probably you or me cannot identify all the gaps else we would have created our own customized MBA program and acquire knowledge through books / articles/ training etc on the required skills. So for all identified and unidentified gaps I'm going to people who are expert on this, i.e. the B-Scools :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Nice.

Thanks for the post :) Think you covered the bases pretty well, although the emphasis and procedure will vary from person to person.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [3]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Rook wrote:
Nice.

Thanks for the post :) Think you covered the bases pretty well, although the emphasis and procedure will vary from person to person.

Thanks, yeah I agree. Specially in case someone looking for starting his/her own business the above self-evaluation may not work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is really gr8 work bigoyal.. :)

how do you also take into account follwing cases:

1. Bored with the same technical job in IT and the job up the ladder is nothing but word/excel/ppt oriented.
2. Hold only a bachelors degree and a stunning career path can be taken only through a stunning masters degree..

obviously, B-schools don;t want the escapist or stamp-paper seekers but I am sure this is the story of most guys Indian/IT/Male.. so, hw do we address that.. ?

Further, I observe that the entrepreneurial bug seems to be hitting a majority and many folks want to start something of their own but not in immediate future.. one school of thought is to get your base in place, nurture an idea, build upon it, shore up some investment and then jump into it.. roughly a period of 10 years.. how does one builds up on this ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [4]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Amit05 wrote:
This is really gr8 work bigoyal.. :)

how do you also take into account follwing cases:

1. Bored with the same technical job in IT and the job up the ladder is nothing but word/excel/ppt oriented.
2. Hold only a bachelors degree and a stunning career path can be taken only through a stunning masters degree..

Thanks a lot. So, do you mean career switching? Btw, why would you say that "stunning career path can be taken only through a stunning masters degree." I'm against the word "only" coz one can never say that the masters degree is the only way for your career path. An MBA would just provide a base and help you achieve your goal faster, thats it.

Now, if you say "only" to adcom, they are surely gonna ask you your reasons. In my interview with ISB, I gave them example of couple of skill-sets which I was looking from MBA. The adcom took one of these and started grilling me saying I can get this skill-set from books, journals or trainings :P

Thats very true, I can surely get the skills without MBA. I cannot tell them that the hefty package or stunning career is my reasons for MBA :oops: . So still sticking with my step-by-step analysis, I was pretty much able to convince them what I'm looking for.

Regarding entrepreneurial stuff, I think my step-by-step analysis may not fit pretty well. But surely it will provide some direction for doing further analysis on one's reasons.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management
Schools:Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Kudos