Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Consulting, Finance Startup
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS R1 (ding), Stanford R1 (ding), MIT R1 (interview)
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Stanford
 Q51  V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V45
Send PM
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
An interesting math application on interview invite % for R1:

On the low extreme, if we assume that the current trends for application increases have continued (4800 - 5700 - 6600 - 7500) and add 1000 applicants to the pool, we have ~ 8500 applicants for this year. Last year, adcom sent out between 550-600 invites during R1 (see MBA Admissions blog, Dec 19 2008). Assume the lower number for this year, because of increased yields. Assume that a massive number (approximately 1/2) of applicants applied in R1 - about 4250 applicants. At 550 invitations for 4250 applicants, 12.9% of applicants receive an interview invitation. That is artificially low due to our assumptions.

On the conservatively high extreme, we keep the same number of total apps and use the higher interview number. If we read adcom's comment that R2 has grown larger and 'more competitive' than R1 (see website), we assume that R2>R1 in size. Assuming that about a third of applicants apply R3, we'll make the difference between R1 and R2 less than 5% of the applicant pool - leaving R1 in the range of 2650 applicants. At 600 invitations for 2650 applicants, 22.6% of applicants receive an interview invitation. That is a more reasonable estimate, but could be high.

There are hundreds of other variables that would easily make this calculation less accurate. The invite structure could be significantly lower due to higher recent yields, the applicant pool could be significantly larger or smaller, and the breakup between rounds could be completely different. That is why I chose an extreme low - to give that buffer. But, given the above assumptions, we have between 12.9% and 22.6% interview invitation rate for Stanford R1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
So no word about interview invitations being sent yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Pook wrote:
So no word about interview invitations being sent yet?

Nope :( Weird tho! considering schools with similar deadlines have started sending or already sent....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Concentration: Retail, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Send PM
Update: Applying in R2 (no longer in R1). Best of luck to those who have submitted!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey! Count me in for R1. Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1(W/o Int), HBS R1(W/o Int), Kellogg R1(Ding), Haas R2(W/o Int), Wharton R2(W/o Int), Darden(W/o Int)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Roll call updated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey count me in for R1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Any idea when is Stan gonna send invites?

Anyone on gmatclub got one?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Stanford,MIT, Haas, HBS
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and in for R1.

My info:
Program: MBA Full-time
Area of interest in MBA: general mgmt
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.55, B.Sc Petroleum Engineering
Work experience: 5 years in upstream oil and gas production and development. (Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Colorado, Wyoming, and Alaska)
Nationality: Canadian
Extra-curriculars/community: non-profit charter school fund-raising board, avid (formerly competitive) downhill skier and mountain biking.

Applying to: HBS, Stanford, MIT, Haas

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has anyone had the opportunity to visit Stanford or participate in a class visit? If so, how was it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.8
WE:Research (Computer Software)
Send PM
triple5soul wrote:
Has anyone had the opportunity to visit Stanford or participate in a class visit? If so, how was it?

The campus is ok, not fancy compared to other schools. Its small too, apparently some new buildings are in the plans.

The class visit was absolutely amazing. Brilliance everywhere - students, prof. The best among those I attended in terms of intellectual capital gained. The prof. even took couple of digs at HBS just for our sake ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yea I did a class visit couple of weeks back

it was pretty cool. sat in on a marketing "compressed course" (don't know the exact term for it) but basically they run these 3 to 4 week seminar type classes that meet each day. Clearly different than HBS case method in that it was mostly a lecture but with a lot of student participation. Cool topic: next generation of digital advertising, etc.

Only 30 or so kids in the class
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Wharton
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I did a class visit last week. "Global Concepts in Management". What impressed me was the interaction between the professor and students. It was very easy going, though the students were stressed about upcoming midterms. The breadth and depth of students is impressive. And the diversity of the class too. I haven't seen a more diverse class in background and geography. I chatted with a couple of students, who were more than willing to give insights on classes, professors and other schools. This school deserves its high ranking!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the input! Have any of you also visited HBS? I would be curious to know how you compare both...(in terms of the campus, facilities and classroom experience/students).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
triple5soul wrote:
Thanks for the input! Have any of you also visited HBS? I would be curious to know how you compare both...(in terms of the campus, facilities and classroom experience/students).

The facilities have little ground for comparison. Stanford's MBA building is currently a bit discouraging, but they are working on a new setup for the MBA program and the new building will be available sometime in 2010-11. I can't speak of the classroom experience or students.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lostphoton wrote:
I also submitted in R1.. just on time!

Waiting for interview calls...

Any stats about how many people generally apply in R1 ? What % get interview calls and how many of them get admits on an average? Just curious

Cheers!

Any info on the stats??

I too made it to R1!! Wonder how early a submission the Oct 2nd interview invitee did.... :shock: :roll:

-R-
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V45
Send PM
Ryt wrote:
Any info on the stats??

From an earlier post on interview potential stats:
romanmissionary wrote:
Last year, adcom sent out between 550-600 invites during R1 (see MBA Admissions blog, Dec 19 2008)... given the above assumptions, we have between 12.9% and 22.6% interview invitation rate for Stanford R1.

As far as admissions rates go, Derrick Bolton stated that at ~800 interviews, Stanford would be able to invite ~60% to attend the school (see Stanford MBA Blog, Mythbusters Archives, 30 November 2007). 60% of 800 is 480 - which then would let us know an approximate yield of Stanford admitted students (if class size is ~380 and admission is 480, the yield percentage would be ~80%).

If we assume that adcom's yield projection is the same (which isn't true - yield increases in rough financial years), then we say that they will invite 480 to attend Stanford this year. Assuming that the acceptance rate is equally interspersed among interviewees regardless of round (so that rounds with more interviews get more acceptances), we would have a 60% acceptance rate at 800 interviews and a 40% acceptance rate at 1200 interviews. Going to the extreme, if Stanford sends 600 R1 interviews and only 800 total, then we would have 360 acceptances R1. That's way too high; I remember reading somewhere (sorry, I'm not sure of the reference) that R1 admits were close to 230 for last year. 230 admits would be much closer to the other extreme - if Stanford does 550 interviews R1 and then does 1200 total. That would end in 220 acceptances - which I think is probably pretty accurate and fits with the 40% of interviewees getting an acceptance.

If we make all those assumptions plus those of the earlier post (some of which are good, some of which may be completely bogus), between 12.9% and 22.6% of R1 applicants get an interview invitation (probably close to 17% - one in every six - is my guess) and 40% of those are accepted - which means that the acceptance rate for R1 would be between 5% and 9%. I would guess ~6.8% - meaning that about 1 in every 15 applicants would be admitted from ~3300 applicants for ~220 admits R1. The numbers may not be completely accurate, especially due to changing yields, but that's my best guess.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts