Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Low gmat for Top consulting firms...how to address [#permalink]
paulymba wrote:
I have heard though that firms like mckinsey won't even talk to you if you don't have a 700...is that not the case?

Full disclosure: I'm not a consultant or a b-school student.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's 100% false. There are plenty of very smart and accomplished b-school students that didn't score 700+. Although consulting firms probably do use the score as a filter, they aren't going to turn you away simply because you scored below 700 (especially a 690).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
That's definitely false. One of my friends now at McKinsey didn't get a 700. A 690 is very good I wouldn't worry about it and definitely do not write in the optional essay about it.

Firms are much more interested in your work experience when choosing who they want to interview (at least right now, could be different in better economic times). Networking is only minimally important from my perspective for consulting. Also, at many schools you can bid so even if they don't choose you, you can still get on the interview list. Once you are in the interview it's all about how you do on the case. From what I've seen they really don't care if they close listed you or you bid it's about your performance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks all for the help...been very helpful!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FYI all...this is a blog entry that I read of a guy who was trying to recruit at the top 3 firms, and was told by his friends who worked there that a 7xx was beneficial

https://speedywithchicken.wordpress.com/ ... -abridged/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think a 7XX GMAT can be supplemented with good work experience, or other impressive elements on the resume. If you are an applicant with few years of work experience, a higher GMAT may make a little difference, but I doubt it would be that much.

Here at Ross, if you don't have above a 700, it is recommended you leave it off the resume. This way, firms may think you just opted not to include it; not necessarily that it was less than 700.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm the author of said blog post regarding the 7xx bump, and I probably should clarify something:

I still believe that a sub-700 GMAT will raise eyebrows amongst firms unless your score is supplemented by previous consulting experience (or other similar, intensive work experience). Now, in my post I didn't mention that three critical adjustments happened that, I believe, placed me on the closed list of 2/3 of McKinsey, Bain, and BCG:

- GMAT score (bumped up from 690 to 7xx)
- Summer internship with a mid-tier consulting firm
- Cover letter refinement (which didn't matter for BCG since they didn't ask for one)

I can't say which of these exactly carried more weight, but my performance regarding closed lists improved dramatically compared to my internship recruiting.

I should also say that these weren't just friends that provided this advice: each one of them has been involved in the closed-listing and interviewing of candidates for their firms from top-tier business schools like Wharton, NYU, Columbia, Ross, and Harvard.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
The 700+ GMATwill haunt people to the day you die. If you don't get a 7xx GMAT, from my experience your chances of hooking up with a hot girl on campus is significantly reduced unless you have consultancy (the strategy trifecta) or prime IB experience (read - still in business, not laid off). And even then, a sub 700 GMAT merely tells us that your dad has a solid network and you are rocking on their dime.

I am actually surprised that anyone dare still attend business school with a sub-700 GMAT - it is a land of ritual humiliation where people administer wedgies to you in class and they don't give you a pass to drink beer at the weekly drinks. I can only assume they will soon include it on name badges for students in recruiting ("dumbass") to save we recruiters from wasting time even deigning to make a decision based on their performance outwith standardized test scores.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm actually going as a 700+ GMAT score for Halloween to a boats n' hoes party tonight. I'll letcha know how it turns out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
hey everyone...
about the cover letter, any tips?
i have to write one and don't know what to include.
more specifically i dont know what the consulting companies
are looking for in their candidates....
please help

i am a software engineer just out of school.
been working for the last year
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
Send PM
Kudos
michimoby wrote:
I'm actually going as a 700+ GMAT score for Halloween to a boats n' hoes party tonight. I'll letcha know how it turns out.

Nice, man! Next year I'm going as someone who thinks 3-4 extra quant points are more important than soft skills.

We should hang out.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Consulting firms won't use GMAT score as a filter for you - unless it's markedly low. We had a McKinsey student struggle in the 600s the finally get to 700s. But the point is, GMAT score won't really matter at the Associate Consultant level. If you're interviewing at the bschool level, a score screen (if used) probably would be a cut off of around 650 - everything else after that depends on the interview, case study, and soft skills like communication, voice intonation, and demonstration of confidence in an answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Oh man, this whole time I thought that I needed a 720+! Now its just a 700? What is becoming of these consultancy firms?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot