Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Stern, SOM, CBS
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
marina7241 wrote:
Nm. Found it. But the corporate powers at be have it blocked.

Darn those evil corporations....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
If they took 12 days to send out the first half of the R1 invites, do you think they're done with the rest now? The anxiety is killing me :(
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Banking
Schools:Yale
 Q46  V41
Send PM
I don't think they are done yet with sending out interview invitations. I was in touch with Michelle Vitali from the admissions office last Thursday and she said that they still have only sent out about half of the invitations. The rest will follow throughout the round according to her. But I don't understand it either why they were so quick with the first half of invitations and now seem to hold on to the rest!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
maybe because they chose the most promising candidates first i.e. 750+ and firm-sponsored?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Yale, Michigan, Cornell $$, Duke
 Q45  V46
Send PM
I heard this week that some candidates interview before the entire admissions committee has discussed their application, while others interview after that discussion takes place. Based on the timing, it might be that the first interviews were granted to the students that seemed good, but hadn't been discussed by the whole committee, while future invites will be given to those who have already made it through the committee. If that is the case, a later interview invitation would be a good sign.

This is all conjecture, but the first wave of interview invitations definitely was not limited to the firm-sponsored, 750+ crowd as the last person suggests.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This rationale sounds reasonable - though I don't know if it helps getting the invite after the entire admissions committee has reviewed the application. They are bound to re-review all applications after the interview anyway, right?

This wait is killing me!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
I feel better, that they still have half to send out. But I'm a big fan of sending out all the invites at once. This way at least you know your fate and don't have to suffer the agonize wait. Hopefully, they'll send all the rest in one big batch instead of trickling them out.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
I’m getting kind of nervous about the interview invites. Assuming Yale gives 2 week notice for interviews to allow for scheduling flights. That doesn’t leave much time until Thanksgiving. I’m assuming they are not interviewing around Thanksgiving. With decision deadline on Dec 18th, interviewing ½ of the interviewing pool in early December seems ambitious.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Are a lot of pple going to SOM diversity event this weekend?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Yale, Michigan, Cornell $$, Duke
 Q45  V46
Send PM
asimov wrote:
I feel better, that they still have half to send out. But I'm a big fan of sending out all the invites at once. This way at least you know your fate and don't have to suffer the agonize wait. Hopefully, they'll send all the rest in one big batch instead of trickling them out.

It was said at an info session that some interview invites go out in the last week before the announced decision deadline. Under that circumstance, they said they take a little bit longer to get back to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
you guys are lucky, enjoy your time in Yale SOM.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
anyone received invites this week?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nink,

im going to ask you other then Applicants and such. How do you like your time in YSOM so far?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Kudos
IllustratorBlu wrote:
nink,

im going to ask you other then Applicants and such. How do you like your time in YSOM so far?

Well, here's my honest assessment so far:

1) That Yale graduate student murder thing kinda turned the campus upside down earlier this academic yr. Schools like Yale constantly sends out security related emails about students getting mugged around the campus etc. Those emails disturbed me before but now, I just ignore them. It's not that dangerous as people told me New Haven would be.
2) YSOM's resources available to its students = World Class. You have the best of both worlds; advantages at a small liberal arts school (think 1 on 1 attention from professors etc) and advantages of a world renowed school brand with world class faculty, student services, classmates, career services, recruiters, alumni, annual Harvard vs Yale rivalry at football games, and the jealous look from people on the street when they see you wearing a Yale hoodie or T-shirt = PRICELESS.
3) Yale Law School kids have better facilities than us bschool students as of now. That will change when they are done building the new facilities for us. Unfortunately, it won't be completed until after I graduate.
4) Social Life outside the classroom? AWESOME. So much to do, so little time. You pretty much get to know all the people in your graduating class due to its small size. And yes. Ivy League schools rest its reputation on its services to its current students and alumni. They do so much more than they probably should, in order to accomodate you. They want to keep you happy because the relationship with Yale only begins in school. It lasts a lifetime.
5) It's freakin cold here…..
6) People are genuinely nice. It's almost as if admissions office weeded out all the crazy people during the admissions process. When I was an undergrad at NYU Stern, competition was fierce even among my classmates and as a result, it really wasn't much of a team-work environment. Here, people often cover for one another, pay for each other's drinks or meals without wanting anything else in return, shares classnotes or recruiting related news/events, and even picked up classmate's parents at the airport when one student needed to go to a recruiting info session.
7) Homeless people…a lot of them in New Haven…but many of them are really nice….unlike NYC homeless….
8) Beer's cheaper than NYC at bars…KUDOS
9) There's a raccoon running around on my way to school that spooks me out…
10) In conclusion, yes…I am very happy here. If I had any worries earlier this year when I chose to attend YSOM over higher ranked schools like Booth and Kellogg, they are pretty much gone. I can't say that YSOM is better than any other schools because I have not attended any other bschools myself and I am sure current students at other schools can boast why they love their schools, but I call my fiancee at Stanford GSB everyday and tell her that Stanford GSB is for losers....and she tells me to go see a psychiatrist. I am not sure who "fit" the ideal applicant profile for YSOM but if you visit here and you fall in love with this plce, don't worry about other factors and go with your guts. Other stuff will work out on its own.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nink wrote:
IllustratorBlu wrote:
nink,

Well, here's my honest assessment so far:

1) That Yale graduate student murder thing kinda turned the campus upside down earlier this academic yr. Schools like Yale constantly sends out security related emails about students getting mugged around the campus etc. Those emails disturbed me before but now, I just ignore them. It's not that dangerous as people told me New Haven would be.
2) YSOM's resources available to its students = World Class. You have the best of both worlds; advantages at a small liberal arts school (think 1 on 1 attention from professors etc) and advantages of a world renowed school brand with world class faculty, student services, classmates, career services, recruiters, alumni, annual Harvard vs Yale rivalry at football games, and the jealous look from people on the street when they see you wearing a Yale hoodie or T-shirt = PRICELESS.
3) Yale Law School kids have better facilities than us bschool students as of now. That will change when they are done building the new facilities for us. Unfortunately, it won't be completed until after I graduate.
4) Social Life outside the classroom? AWESOME. So much to do, so little time. You pretty much get to know all the people in your graduating class due to its small size. And yes. Ivy League schools rest its reputation on its services to its current students and alumni. They do so much more than they probably should, in order to accomodate you. They want to keep you happy because the relationship with Yale only begins in school. It lasts a lifetime.
5) It's freakin cold here…..
6) People are genuinely nice. It's almost as if admissions office weeded out all the crazy people during the admissions process. When I was an undergrad at NYU Stern, competition was fierce even among my classmates and as a result, it really wasn't much of a team-work environment. Here, people often cover for one another, pay for each other's drinks or meals without wanting anything else in return, shares classnotes or recruiting related news/events, and even picked up classmate's parents at the airport when one student needed to go to a recruiting info session.
7) Homeless people…a lot of them in New Haven…but many of them are really nice….unlike NYC homeless….
8) Beer's cheaper than NYC at bars…KUDOS
9) There's a raccoon running around on my way to school that spooks me out…
10) In conclusion, yes…I am very happy here. If I had any worries earlier this year when I chose to attend YSOM over higher ranked schools like Booth and Kellogg, they are pretty much gone. I can't say that YSOM is better than any other schools because I have not attended any other bschools myself and I am sure current students at other schools can boast why they love their schools, but I call my fiancee at Stanford GSB everyday and tell her that Stanford GSB is for losers....and she tells me to go see a psychiatrist. I am not sure who "fit" the ideal applicant profile for YSOM but if you visit here and you fall in love with this plce, don't worry about other factors and go with your guts. Other stuff will work out on its own.

sparking of the new building when is it going to be complete? i was looking for info about it on the internet, but came back with only status report. if everything goes well i will be entering class 2013 and applying next year for EA. *silver program*
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
The last time they told us, the planning process is still on-going. Designing and other related processes are on-going as we speak (architects were hired to review the design, layout, and revisions etc). But the construction won't actually start until the donor funding and the recovery of the financial market is in full swing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nink wrote:
The last time they told us, the planning process is still on-going. Designing and other related processes are on-going as we speak (architects were hired to review the design, layout, and revisions etc). But the construction won't actually start until the donor funding and the recovery of the financial market is in full swing.

i see, thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  46