Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Parallelismx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [349]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [63]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [28]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [28]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
186. Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of
to confine them to a hotel.
(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to

I think this suggests that the members of the jury confine themselves to a hotel, a fact that does not make any sense
notice that the parallelism is between go and confine so the sentence reads

members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of [members of the jury] to confine them to a hotel

(B) that would have allowed members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of confined to

I think you need passive voice here in confined to suggest that the members are confined. The sentence reads

a motion that would have allowed members of the jury to confined to ...

(C) under which members of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining
them in

I'm not sure whether confine in is idiomatic. anyway to go home is not parallel to confining

(D) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confinement in

note parallel structures to go home rather confinement

(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to

This answer choice maintains parallelism and properly uses passive voice so that the members are confined to a hotel.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [21]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think the hardest part of this question is the parallelism. I initially start the parallelism with (to go home...). I guess the trick is to look how the second half starts and work backwards to see where the first one should start.

Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to
go home at the end of each day
rather than
be confined to a hotel
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Two idioms at play here: motion to... and rather than...

That leaves E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [14]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
OA is E

OE:

In this sentence, members of the jury are presented with two options: they may (1) go home or (2) be confined to a hotel. The rejected motion would have allowed them to do the first rather than [to] suffer the second.
Members of the jury must be the logical subject of both options, and both must be expressed in parallel form, that is, as infinitive clauses. E, the best choice, observes these requirements. In A and C, the phrase members
of the jury is not the logical subject of the second option, to confine them or confining them, since jury members are not doing the confining. In B and D, confined and confinement are not infinitives and thus do not parallel to go in the first option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of
to confine them to a hotel.
(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to
(B) that would have allowed members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of confined to
(C) under which members of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining
them in
(D) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confinement in
(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to

E for several reasons.
An easy way to start is the use of rather/instead of. Rather is the obvious choice. This leaves D,E. E is correct (parallel structure, concise) for many reasons, while D is awkward and wordy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to a hotel.
them in

IMO

A - Wrong - Doesn't have parallel structure - X instead of Y. X - Members..To go home vs To confine them -
B - Wrong - no need of would . Also - this isn't parallel with comparative structure at the end
C - Wrong - under which - awkward
D - Wrong - no need of would . Also - this isn't parallel with comparative structure at the end
E - Right - Concise, parallel ( X rather than Y) - Members... To go home vs (to) be confined to hotel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to a hotel.

(C) under which memebrs of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining them in

can someone please explain A vs E??

There are lot of old posts discussing this question, but I think our community has evolved a lot since then :) ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [11]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A - uses "instead of" which is used when one thing is replaced with a different one.

E - uses "rather than" which is used to show preference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
Kudos
I choose E based in Subjunctive Mood , apart from idiom... Experts please correct me if it does not comes under Subjunctive Mood and i did wrong analyses , because in whole discussion no body mentioned anything about the Subjunctive Mood ...
sayantanc2k
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [13]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mbaprep2016 wrote:
I choose E based in Subjunctive Mood , apart from idiom... Experts please correct me if it does not comes under Subjunctive Mood and i did wrong analyses , because in whole discussion no body mentioned anything about the Subjunctive Mood ...
sayantanc2k

No, there is no subjunctive mood in option E - you are probably misguided because of "be confined". Here "be confimed" is not a verb in subjunctive mood. It is an infinitive in parallel with "go home" - "to" is outside the parrallel structure (X rather than Y) and hence covers both "go home" and "be confined".

..allowed memebers of the jury to (go home) rather than (be confined). X = "go home", Y = "be confined".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 691 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
nero44 wrote:

IN GMAT RATHER THAN USED BETWEEN TWO VERBS(ACTIONS, PHRASES), INSTEAD OF USED BETWEEN TWO NOUNS
so A,B and C can be eliminated .
Between D and E rather than confined to is better than confined in .

(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to -
(C) under which memebrs of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining them in
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [8]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos