Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Foreign Market Development, Investment Strategy
Schools:Georgetown '12
Send PM
Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
Has anyone applied this year at all to MacD ? I am in for R1
Current Student
Send PM
vishwa wrote:

I had my interview yesterday with an adcom member.It was conversational and many were standard questions.
Current Student
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
I had my interview yesterday with an adcom member.It was conversational and many were standard questions.

Did you app went under any status change before getting the interview invite ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
vishwa wrote:

Did you request for the on-campus interview? Or, did you receive an interview invite? If the latter, then wow! They are fast in sending out the invites - only 1 week after R1 deadline.
Current Student
Send PM
hserfoj wrote:
Did you request for the on-campus interview? Or, did you receive an interview invite? If the latter, then wow! They are fast in sending out the invites - only 1 week after R1 deadline.

Well,it was a self initiated interview.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
hserfoj wrote:

Well,it was a self initiated interview.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
good to see some interest. let me know if you guys are in town to visit or have any questions I can try to answer.
Current Student
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
good to see some interest. let me know if you guys are in town to visit or have any questions I can try to answer.

How has been your experience so far ? Can you share few things which you love about the school ?

Thank You for helping out :-D !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm loving it so far. It's kinda overwhelming, just tons of stuff going on. The people are definitely the best part. Everyone is smart and successful (actually I kinda feel under qualified sometimes) and really nice. One of my favorite stories so far is about a student who lost his laptop. The whole class got together and chipped in $3 each to help him offset the cost of a new computer.

I've gotta run to a presentation but I'll post more later.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Ok, I've got a chance to post some more.

Opening residency was awesome. We went to an amazing hotel on the national waterfront, divided up into teams of 8 and did a live case competition on the wireless industry. At the end we presented in front of consultants and partners from Deloitte as well as professors and second years. We also had time for some fun group stuff like a scavenger hunt and some classes on the basics of a whole range of topics we might need.

Another favorite was the presentation we had from the founder of Pandora Radio. He spoke for about an hour taking us through his career and the story of Pandora, then he answered questions for a while. It was really cool. He had such an interesting life story. Basically he was a working musician for a while, then he got a job helping directors pick music for movies. That experience led him to get a very deep understanding of how music tastes worked which eventually led to the creation of Pandora. He told all about the struggles of finding a model to monitize the product and find VC financing to keep the company running. Interestingly every song on Pandora is rated by hand. Something I never would have thought of.

I think ultimately MSB was a perfect fit for me. Culturally it has a lot of the same qualities as the other small schools but has the benefit of not being out in the country like Cornell, Darden and Tuck. If you like the country then sweet, but the amenities of a major city are also nice. Sometimes, after 75 hours of sitting in the Harari building with the same 500 people for a week it's nice to be able to escape for a day. We're able to do things like go on office visits to McKinsey, Deloitte and the FBI without having to leave the metro system, and you have a wide variety of restaurant and entertainment choices.

There are obviously DC specific benefits as well...Beyond the fact that all the Museums are free and things like that we also benefit from being in the center of everything here. We had a great finance day earlier this year where we had Sheila Blair and Larry Summers and some other big names come in and speak.

I think one of the best things about being at Georgetown right now is that we all have the feeling that the program is on it's way up right now. Everyone loves the school and there's just this amazing positive energy about everything. When we complain about something, it's almost always followed by a suggestion of how to make it better, which is almost always followed by some action. The administration and professors are really open to feedback and adopt it quickly. If you have an idea about how to make something better you can get on people's schedules in the Dean's office or elsewhere and they really listen to what you have to say.

I also just really like my classmates and professors. There's no one in my class that I don't honestly enjoy talking to. Like I said before, you can totally just get beaten down some weeks and be sick of the whole thing, especially in the first mod when the adjustment to being quite so busy hits you, but doing it with people you like makes it all a lot easier.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Good to see you having a wonderful time at Georgetown, Sleepy! :-D
Current Student
Send PM
Just received an interview invite ! Finally, some sigh of relief.

Do they prefer on campus interviews ? Although i am in east coast, I would prefer to do off campus somewhere in new york. Any suggestions ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
There is no off-campus interview location near where I live in Asia. And, I think AdCom officials don't give out phone interviews (right?). I would go to the campus for the interview then. This will be so exciting!

Sleepy, is it freezing cold in DC now? I will experience my first winter when I go there (probably) 2nd wk of Dec. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Sleepy-

Are the employment stats for 2009 available ? I could not find it on their website. Also, if you could share how Georgetown is coping with the downturn in employment opps, it would be great

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
As far as I know our employment stats for 2009 aren't final yet. The preliminary number they told us was something like 80% had full time positions 3 months out which is about where all the other top 20 schools were. I think I saw a business week article that said Kellogg and the other top 5 programs were at like 85% last year.

I'm only going to speak about what I know regarding next year. Most indications I've seen are that internship hiring will be flat or slightly up this year for consulting since most firms can only put off hiring for so long. I've heard this from people at all three of the big 3 firms. I would expect that we are in a slightly stronger position than other schools for consulting recruiting specifically because of our strength in public sector consulting, which has not been as strongly effected by the down turn.

I've also spoken with a friend at Lazard who said their internship hiring would be up this year. I know the finance trek had office visits scheduled to a ton of banks over our break between mods a couple weeks ago, but I'm not sure what the hiring situation at the banks is like.

I'd encourage you guys to come to campus if you get a chance. If you've already visited then I think off campus would be ok, but every school likes people who show that they liked the school enough to take the time to visit.

EDIT: Regarding the weather in DC. The coldest it has been in my 4 winters here since college is last year when we had about a month straight of 20ish weather in January/February. Beyond that the weather in the winter is just random and inconsistent. today it was 70 and sunny. last week it was 50 and rainy. In December I would expect weather in the 40's or 50's and pretty windy, maybe rainy. sleet and freezing rain in January and very rare snowfalls.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Darden, Duke, Booth, Texas, Georgetown
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Submitted on 11/1.. face to face interview with adcom director on 11/10
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Georgetown, Virginia, Emory, Northwestern, Chicago
 Q39  V34 GMAT 2: 640  Q44  V34
Send PM
Don't know how many people are actually applying here, but since I live in DC, and I'd like to continue living here, Georgetown is my first choice. I applied R1. Unfortunately, I only scored a 640 on my GMAT, but feel like my political background could be helpful. Although, DC is full of politicos so it may not be as unique as I thought. While I wait for the Jan. 15 date, anyone think I could get in?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts