Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Rhyme's Totally Fallible Guide to Interviewing [#permalink]
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Rhyme
Thank you for the wonderful post. It's very elaborate.
I have a question for you and in general for others too. What's the ideal preparation time for interview?
I'm doing the Tuck interview on 7th and have about 3 days to prepare before that. Maybe 12-15 hours in all, to

a. draft rough answers to the main questions - why mba, why tuck, what goals and why?
b. pointers for situations like leadership, strengths, weaknesses, ethical dilemma etc
c. to practice all these by doing a mock.

Do you think that is enough time?
Also, what is the best way to start the answer a "Why MBA" interview question? any tips on that?
thanks
WG

Sorry I missed this question ....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hi rhyme
this is a very lame Q, but I have to ask.
What exactly does the interviewer mean by " tell me about a teamwork experience". Isn't that a very abstract questions? Most of the projects I do are in teams, so what do they want to hear specifically? Conflict management? Multicultural teams? Dealing with someone difficult?
what would make a good teamwork example?
thanks
WG
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
wiseguyMBA wrote:
hi rhyme
this is a very lame Q, but I have to ask.
What exactly does the interviewer mean by " tell me about a teamwork experience". Isn't that a very abstract questions? Most of the projects I do are in teams, so what do they want to hear specifically? Conflict management? Multicultural teams? Dealing with someone difficult?
what would make a good teamwork example?
thanks
WG

It's a vague question, but that's a good thing -- you can use it to tell almost any story that you want. I like to take questions like that and define teamwork at the forefront of my story so that we both know exactly what we are talking about. The risk of not doing so is that the person is expecting a story about X and I tell a story about Y -- which likely comes across as having no point at all to someone expecting X. On the other hand, if I tell them, "To me teamwork is really about Y" then the story makes sense.

So, with that in mind, feel free to define "Y" however you see fit.

Some ideas:

Y = "Teamwork is really about bringing together a disparate group of people to achieve a goal" (broad, but you can use it in just about any story)

Y = "Teamwork is about identifying individual strengths and weaknesses and ensuring everyone is properly aligned for success" (the one I tend to most like)

Y = "Teamwork is about influencing others to work together towards a common goal" (google Cialdini principles of persuasion or perhaps its principles of influence, I forget, but just google Cialdini)

I have to run to a meeting, hopefully that helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot rhyme. That really helps.
Wg

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Rhyme
Thank you for the wonderful post. It's very elaborate.
I have a question for you and in general for others too. What's the ideal preparation time for interview?
I'm doing the Tuck interview on 7th and have about 3 days to prepare before that. Maybe 12-15 hours in all, to

a. draft rough answers to the main questions - why mba, why tuck, what goals and why?
b. pointers for situations like leadership, strengths, weaknesses, ethical dilemma etc
c. to practice all these by doing a mock.

Do you think that is enough time?
Also, what is the best way to start the answer a "Why MBA" interview question? any tips on that?
thanks
WG

Sorry I missed this question ....

Hi wiseguyMBA, So how did it go? Do you think 2-3 days are enough to prepare? I got confused with dates and now I am in the same situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
When your interviewer says "Walk me through your resume..", do you go choronologically - i.e. start with undergrad move on to first position then second etc... or go in the order of the resume - i.e. Here is where I am NOW but how I got here is ....

And do you work in the EC's/Personal interests into the Resume walk through? Or is it just an exercise in determining your professional history?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck
Send PM
I also wanted to say thanks very much for posting this guide - I found it very useful.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
Deepauk wrote:
When your interviewer says "Walk me through your resume..", do you go choronologically - i.e. start with undergrad move on to first position then second etc... or go in the order of the resume - i.e. Here is where I am NOW but how I got here is ....

And do you work in the EC's/Personal interests into the Resume walk through? Or is it just an exercise in determining your professional history?

Entirely up to you - whatever makes more sense in your storyline / whatever you prefer. In general, my experience has been that bottom up (chrono) flows slightly better only because you get to where you are now and then can jump to where you want to go post MBA (I did A, that lead to B, and now I want to get an MBA to do C). That tends to be a bit more of a natural progression than jumping to post MBA goals from your oldest job (I currently do B, used to do A, and now want to C)... but honestly there's no "right" answer, just do what you think makes more sense given your plans.

Gotta jet to meeting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Deepauk wrote:

Entirely up to you - whatever makes more sense in your storyline / whatever you prefer. In general, my experience has been that bottom up (chrono) flows slightly better only because you get to where you are now and then can jump to where you want to go post MBA (I did A, that lead to B, and now I want to get an MBA to do C). That tends to be a bit more of a natural progression than jumping to post MBA goals from your oldest job (I currently do B, used to do A, and now want to C)... but honestly there's no "right" answer, just do what you think makes more sense given your plans.

Gotta jet to meeting.

Thanks Rhyme. The flow is so much better when I begin at the beginning and end with where I am now. I think that is what I will do.

Hope the meeting went well!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
What's your leadership style?

How should this Q be answered? description of a leadership experience or just a couple of sentences? Btw - are there any pre-defined Leadership Styles?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
I noticed one question from an 07 post that I didn't find an answer to.
1. For non-blind interviews, is it good idea to reuse stories from our essays/short answers/resumes or show something new?
2. Is it better to draw examples from work or outside of work?
and my own addition here:
3. If we are asked about a story from one of our essays, should we reiterate what is said in the essays before moving on to explain or should we just answer with new information that supplements what is already said in the essay?

Any chance someone could shed some light on MBAgirl's questions?

I have my Sloan interview coming up and was wondering if I can reuse some stories?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
I have a Sloan interview coming up as well

How about reusing examples in the cover letter? (only mentioned for a few sentences, not an entire essay)

Noodles wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
1. For non-blind interviews, is it good idea to reuse stories from our essays/short answers/resumes or show something new?
3. If we are asked about a story from one of our essays, should we reiterate what is said in the essays before moving on to explain or should we just answer with new information that supplements what is already said in the essay?

I have my Sloan interview coming up and was wondering if I can reuse some stories?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
bump
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
I guess I will answer my own question :)

I had my sloan interview on Friday and I was told not to reuse stories from my essays. I asked if I could use stories from the cover letter and my interviewer said yes.

I ended up not using any "stories" because I really wasn't asked any BEI type questions but rather many questions related to my application itself. No curve balls though

jzd wrote:
I have a Sloan interview coming up as well

How about reusing examples in the cover letter? (only mentioned for a few sentences, not an entire essay)

Noodles wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I have a quick qestion:

for interview question like : What is the primary weakness in your application.

What would be an appropriate ans?

while i can certainly bit*h around for things like gmat etc on my app but it is not that bad. my gmat is 700, gpa is 3.9 and age is 28, I have ok WE and ECs. I am having real hard time in contructing a good response to this question.

any suggestions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Rhyme / All,

Stupid question:

How different is "How will you contribute to X school" from "Which Clubs you want to participate in?"

I have a good answer for the Clubs i wanna participate in but dont know how to articulate "how will you contribute to X school"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Rhyme / All,

Stupid question:

How different is "How will you contribute to X school" from "Which Clubs you want to participate in?"

I have a good answer for the Clubs i wanna participate in but dont know how to articulate "how will you contribute to X school"

Any takers ???
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5