Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [37]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [5]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1249 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Law, Entrepreneur
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Re: John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
E - would be my answer.

A is clearly wrong because of "him" but the sub being John's. So, him needs to be John instead. Well, there is no such option
"his stay in the prison" is the inspiration. So, that rules out B C.
D and E seem to convey the right meanings. But D is poorly constructed.

- Prasanna
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels [#permalink]
Kudos
But who does "his" refer to in E. John Grisham is not given as the subject in any part of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
yangsta8 wrote:
But who does "his" refer to in E. John Grisham is not given as the subject in any part of the sentence.

Him is not correct. Usage of His is ok as that is possessive too.. grisham's stay, grisham's novel (second occurrence, name replaced by "his").

here is what i have in notes for possessive poison (may assist in understanding):
Jose's room is so messy that HIS mother calls HIM a pig.

Here HIS is fine because that parallel with Jose's. But HIM has to be corrected:
Jose's room is so messy that HIS mother calls Jose a pig.

HTH
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.

1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels

E looks good for me

A - John Grisham's ... him --> pronoun error
B and D distort the meaning - it is the stay that inspires his novel
C is close but seems more awkward than E and inspiration is unclear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [2]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.
1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels

Answer has to be D.
Objective pronoun can never refers to Possessive noun, thus option A & E are eliminated.
It was "Stay at the prison" & not the "Prison itself" that inspired Grisham to write novels, thus option C is out.
Option B, completely changes the intended meaning in that it says "Grisham was able to use inspiration because he stayed in the prison" in any other case "he was not able to use the inspiration"

Note:-
1) Kindly do not post questions unless you are sure of their quality
2) Kindly share the source of the question so that the followers do not suffer much.

Fame
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
When possessive nouns are used, we can NOT use pronouns to refer back to them.
e.g. Ravi's diary helps him keep track of expenditure. this is incorrect because him can't refer back to possessive "Ravi's diary" form, as if there is no Ravi mentioned at all.
although, this is correct - Ravi's healthy habits keep his posture correct. Possessive pronoun refers back to possessive noun.

Why is Grisham's mentioned in the non-underline part?
The reason would be because John Grisham (noun) is not mentioned in the non-underline part (mostly because it is present as Grisham's).

John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels [travelers?] can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.

(A) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
1. here a bit of personification is going on. Stay at prison is inspiring Grisham.
2. "him" doesn't have a noun to refer to

(B) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
1. "Because of his stay at prison" is an adverbial modifier (modifies "was able to"). which is correct
2. John Grisham is the subject here, so there is no need to say Grisham's in non-underline part, can just say "his most famous books"
3. This says -- Without stay Grisham was not able to use the inspiration?

(C) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
1. This says, John was not able to use the say as inspiration without prison.
2. Subject is John Grisham, we don't need Grisham's in non-underline part.

(D) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
1. Subject is John Grisham, we don't need Grisham's in non-underline part.
2. John Grisham was inspired by his stay at prison -- this meaning is missing here.
3. John Grisham incorporated stay into his novels -- this is a new meaning here.

(E) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels
his can refer back to Grisham's (possessive pronoun to possessive noun)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a bizarre question but I think only fameatop's explanation above makes any sense, and D is the only answer that could conceivably be right. The other answers (A and E) that might seem tempting don't make sense, because (among other logic issues) they talk about "the prison" before any particular prison has been mentioned. I don't see how the OA here can be correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
This is a bizarre question but I think only fameatop's explanation above makes any sense, and D is the only answer that could conceivably be right. The other answers (A and E) that might seem tempting don't make sense, because (among other logic issues) they talk about "the prison" before any particular prison has been mentioned. I don't see how the OA here can be correct.

I would love to disagree with you on this one. “The prison” does indeed refer to a specific prison that should (must) have been talked about, BUT I have an official question that uses “these storms” in all the five options without ever mentioning storm before.
Check this out

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-growth-p ... 42635.html

Regarding the pronouns “him/his/he” referring to a “possessive noun”, you might want to check out

1. “Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s success was later overshadowed....”
2. Among the objects found .... Terra cotta effigies

Both are official questions and have used “subject pronoun, object pronouns, and possessive pronouns” to refer to a “possessive noun”

Cheers 🥂

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
NikuHBS wrote:
I would love to disagree with you on this one. “The prison” does indeed refer to a specific prison that should (must) have been talked about

When I wrote this:

IanStewart wrote:
they talk about "the prison" before any particular prison has been mentioned.

the second half of that sentence was important. There would be nothing wrong with an SC answer that said something like:

Ali enjoyed his stay at the hotel.

There would be an issue, though, with a sentence like this:

Ali enjoyed his stay at the hotel; travellers can still visit the Excelsior.

It now becomes a question: is "the hotel" "the Excelsior", or is "the hotel" some hotel mentioned in a previous sentence that we're not able to read? If "the hotel" is indeed "the Excelsior", it then becomes a mystery why the sentence isn't phrased this way:

Ali enjoyed his stay at the Excelsior; travellers can still visit the hotel.

If "the hotel" refers to some other hotel mentioned earlier, it then becomes a mystery why these two clauses are joined by a semicolon, because if "the hotel" is not "the Excelsior", the two clauses have almost nothing to do with each other. Semicolons and periods can't be used interchangeably; a semicolon is only appropriate (in this kind of usage) when two sentences enjoy such a strong logical dependence that there's a risk that using a period might make that dependence obscure.

That's what distinguishes the question in this thread from the official question, about "these storms", that you link to. In that official question, no specific storms are mentioned elsewhere, so those sentences are similar to the first sentence above: "Ali enjoyed his stay at the hotel." That sentence is fine. In the question in this thread, though, a specific prison is mentioned later in the sentence: Alcatraz. If, in answers A or E, that's the same "prison" mentioned in the first half of the sentence, why is it not named in the first half of the sentence? And if it's a different prison, why are these two clauses joined by a semicolon? I can't even tell how to interpret the sentences in A or E (which is an issue all on its own), but no matter how you interpret them, they're problematic. Answer D, though, resolves those issues.

I agree with you about pronouns and possessive nouns. I think some SC books teach some grammar "rules" that don't actually exist. English is a flexible language, and a lot of the "rules" people imagine exist have many exceptions, which is why I don't like the "learn a lot of rules, then try to figure out how to apply them" approach many books take to SC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
Can someone please share the solution to this question, unable to solve, also as per Ian Stewart, there is a discrepancy
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts