Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Stern, SOM, CBS
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
marina7241 wrote:
Thank you I was very surprised. Any suggestions on interview prep?

I think rhyme and the other did a really good job in these two threads regarding interviews:

rhyme-s-totally-fallible-guide-to-interviewing-55030.html#p391528

compiled-interview-questions-74657.html#p558169

For YSOM interview in general, you should try to come up with a cohesive story. When answering various questions, each answer should reflect your plans, goals, and accomplishments, but in the end, they should all fit into one big cohesive story that explains 1) where you have been 2) where you are and 3) where you plan on going. Imagine you are pitching a business plan or a blue book at a client meeting (as a banker). Think of yourself as a brand and draft a well thought out business plan that summarizes why you are a good investment opportunity and why you are worthy of further investment and etc. That mindset certainly helped me with all the bschool interviews last year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
I am curious as to why many posters are discouraged by the "majority of the invites have gone out" email. As per the update sent on November 19th, it says "We’ve extended over half of our Round 1 interview invitations at this point, but more will be sent in the coming weeks as we continue to review files."

If on Nov19th, they phrase it as "over half of", I take it's at best 60%. That, after 1.5 months of reviews (since Oct8th). Any special reason to believe why, by Nov 25th, this would jump up to 80%? Majority, to me, still seems >50% rather than close to 80-90% in light of their email on 19th. Am I misunderstanding how these updates work? If they send invites "rolling", then they must be reading applications at their normal pace. Does YSOM suddenly speed up the process by last week of Nov to get all interviews done before mid-December?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 5 years
Send PM
There is a recent change observed in my application page... My contact address details are now displaying on status page. Is everbody observing the same????? just want to make sure that whether it have to do something with application process or just a technical updates of software

Also a question for nink,
My application is still in submitted status. If I go with Yale's latest update that around 50% or we can say 60% to 70% interview invitations are sent by now, is it possible to send the remaining, conduct interview and still achieve the round 1 decision deadline? Or should I take that interview not received by now is equal to interview never received?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Reeve015 wrote:
There is a recent change observed in my application page... My contact address details are now displaying on status page. Is everbody observing the same????? just want to make sure that whether it have to do something with application process or just a technical updates of software

I see the same. Probably a software update.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Reeve015 wrote:
My application is still in submitted status. If I go with Yale's latest update that around 50% or we can say 60% to 70% interview invitations are sent by now, is it possible to send the remaining, conduct interview and still achieve the round 1 decision deadline? Or should I take that interview not received by now is equal to interview never received?

From what Bruce mentioned before and the fact that YSOM won't be releasing any admits before the notification date for R1 (think it's Dec 18th this yr), I am guessing that YSOM admissions office is kinda behind its anticipated schedule for reviewing R1 apps.

Last year, R1 decision date was in mid January. Therefore, YSOM had plenty of time to review and accept applicants before the notification date.

If applicants are indeed still receiving interview invites around Thanksgiving break, I see that as a good sign. And don't worry about status update on your application page. For most schools, the update is just an update. The "status update" is done for the sake of updating. For example, if your app is still saying submitted status, it doesn't mean that the adcom is yet to read your application or anything else. It doesn't actually reflect where your application is at this point in the real time. This is true for most schools. Due to the volume of apps and other reasons, it's impossible for adcom to update your application status in real time.

Hang on guys, hang on....I really do understand how you guys are feeling...after all, I had quite a heartbreak last year after receiving Tuck WL....but everything happens for a reason...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
There's something else that bothers me. Since the order of review is random, there's every chance that applicants towards the end have lower odds of receiving an invite. Because I'm certain they sent out the first 50% of the invites before they reviewed the first 50% of the applications. Seems unfair that some candidates might lose out on the luck of the draw.

Which brings me to another question - wouldn't it have been fair to review the entire lot of R1 applications together, shortlist the 'best' applicants (i.e., relative to the rest of the pool) and send out all invites together? This approach takes more time I know, but it just seems fairer. Unless of course, the draw uses some screening logic (demographic, GMAT etc.) and is not entirely random.

I shouldn't think so much. But it beats staring out the window in Shanghai, depressing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dhanur wrote:
There's something else that bothers me. Since the order of review is random, there's every chance that applicants towards the end have lower odds of receiving an invite. Because I'm certain they sent out the first 50% of the invites before they reviewed the first 50% of the applications. Seems unfair that some candidates might lose out on the luck of the draw.

Which brings me to another question - wouldn't it have been fair to review the entire lot of R1 applications together, shortlist the 'best' applicants (i.e., relative to the rest of the pool) and send out all invites together? This approach takes more time I know, but it just seems fairer. Unless of course, the draw uses some screening logic (demographic, GMAT etc.) and is not entirely random.

I shouldn't think so much. But it beats staring out the window in Shanghai, depressing.

I don't think this way is not fair.
As long as an applicant is diverse and outstanding enough, he/she will receive further consideration no matter how late his/her profile will be reviewed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Does anyone know when deposits will be required for students admitted in round 1? I'm definitely not counting any eggs before they hatch here, but I am trying to set up a little "strategery" for my Round 2 applications. No point in working on a full application if I might have to pull the trigger on Yale before I get a decision. Wharton's round 2 notification deadline is 03/26/10, so that's the one I'm leaning towards right now.

Appreciate any input, I searched last years thread and couldn't find a direction mention of a deposit deadline...
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
NickTW wrote:
Does anyone know when deposits will be required for students admitted in round 1? I'm definitely not counting any eggs before they hatch here, but I am trying to set up a little "strategery" for my Round 2 applications. No point in working on a full application if I might have to pull the trigger on Yale before I get a decision. Wharton's round 2 notification deadline is 03/26/10, so that's the one I'm leaning towards right now.

Appreciate any input, I searched last years thread and couldn't find a direction mention of a deposit deadline...

YSOM has only one admitted student weekend. It was April last year and if I remember correctly, the deadline for deposit wasn't due until after that weekend. (Don't know if it's different this year since R1 notification date is in Dec , not Jan etc) YSOM also hosts various admitted student evenings in local cities throughout the country and admitted students will be invited to events/dinner hosted by an alum.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Yale SOM '11
Send PM
There are two welcome weekends this year. There is a short one in Feb for rd 1 and then the regular one.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Yale (Round 1), Ross (Round 1), Tuck (EA), MIT (Round 1)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Just an update. Received my interview invite on 11/24. Did my on-campus interview on 11/30. Now keeping my fingers crossed.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: PE/VC, Finance, General Management
Schools:MIT Sloan, Chicago (WL - dinged), Yale SOM, , Tuck (WL - withdrawn)
 Q44  V44
I'm in for R1 (interview invite 10/19)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
minicho3 wrote:
I'm in for R1 (interview invite 10/19)

You've got an admission?!
So fast, congratulations!!!
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V44
No, I'm in for the roll call. From what I understand, no one should hear back until the 17th or 18th.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Do you guys know the precentage of applicats SOM interviews and later accepts. Is it right to assume that since the interviewer is usually a second year student he will write his feedback which will get re-reviewed with my app. I am assuming seond years do not sit in on the final admissions deliberations? or do they?
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V44
marina7241 wrote:
Do you guys know the precentage of applicats SOM interviews and later accepts. Is it right to assume that since the interviewer is usually a second year student he will write his feedback which will get re-reviewed with my app. I am assuming seond years do not sit in on the final admissions deliberations? or do they?

https://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/12/admi ... ement-som/
https://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... _yale.aspx
https://www.mba-rankings.com/yale/interview.php

Please see the links above which reference how many people they interview/admit. Generally its 35-40% interviewed and the same percentage admitted.

"Typically, we will invite roughly a third of applicants to interview and will extend offers to roughly 40 percent of the people we interview." - Bruce Delmonico
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  46