Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: scholarship covering full study fees [#permalink]
2 rhyme
Quote:
Yes, such scholarships exist. And yes, you can take loans to cover living expenses too.

Thanks for your response. If such scholarships exist that's good. Hope you can clarify some things for me with loans issue. How are they given? I mean do banks or whoever give it to international students, even from far away countries, like Ukraine? And how do those institutions expect me to pay it back if I won't be able to work full time for at least two years? Is it like they roll repayments over for 2 years time?

2 asimov
Quote:
I would say don't go in with a mindset of getting a full ride.

That's pessimistic :). If one has faith, then everything's possible.

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you...I'm probably going to sign my life away in a loan.

How many seats does our boat have? Should we pick up somebody else to charge him and use his money as tuition fee? :)... Cheer up, I have a loan in my country and I have no clue on how I am going to redeem it :), economic situation in Ukraine is extremely down.

Originally posted by WantGMAT800 on 05 Dec 2009, 06:26.
Last edited by WantGMAT800 on 06 Dec 2009, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
I'm not an expert in loans, as I paid for my schooling out of pocket. Perhaps someone else can add some clarity here.

In general, the way I understand it is that there are no loan payments during the period in which you are in school, so you only need to worry about it once you graduate.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2 rhyme
Ok. Thanks anyway.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
For loans, generally you are not required to make payments until 6 months after graduation. So defer the payments over 2 years. You do accrue interest during that time. If money really is an issue, you are more likely to recieve scholarships at schools you're over qualified for. IE if you could get into Stanford and instead choose to go to university of phoenix. But you would also make back the loan and much more over your life time at stanford. (just a hypothetical)

For you, you should be looking to ask what schools offer non-cosigner international loans (I am assuming that you don't have any US citizens that would co-sign a loan for you). A lot of schools have it now, however I think columbia still does not have one.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2 GoBruins
Thanks for your reply.
Quote:
So defer the payments over 2 years. You do accrue interest during that time

By saying that do you mean that I still don't make any payments however the interest adds up to the sum of a loan and when I graduate I will have to pay more then otherwise I would have to if I made payments during those two years?
Quote:
If money really is an issue, you are more likely to recieve scholarships at schools you're over qualified for

That's may be true, and yet I was once told that the bigger and more prestigious the b-school or university is the more likely it is to get a full scholarship there, as they have more funds to support their students. What do you think?

And is it possible to be admitted into a b-school and then be excluded due to the absence of money (situation when there is no scholarship, no private money, no loans) ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Your first loan payments are due in the December the year after you graduate.

Wonder why I know that...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2 3underscore
So, how do you know that? :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
WantGMAT800 wrote:
2 3underscore
So, how do you know that? :)

3underscore is an NYU alum, graduated this past year so either he had loans or knows someone who has loans.

As for the more presigious schools it is true, HBS has a huge endowment, but yet they don't offer that many scholarships compared to their size. Ross overs quiet a bit of scholarships even though it's public. But that said, if you were a decent candidate at HBS, you probably wouldn't qualify for their top scholarships since they typically have a very very strong class. However you may be a more than strong candidate for Cornell's park scholarship.

I think you just have to face it that this is an investment into your own future and although it would be nice to not have to pay for MBA, or pay less for MBA. You should expect other people to pay for your education.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
However you may be a more than strong candidate for Cornell's park scholarship.

US Citizens only. I was "invited" to apply based on a "pre-selection" criteria, and then received a whoops email. Called them to inquire, explained how poorly it reflected on the program, told them how to fix it, they said they would. A week later I received another invitation followed by another whoops email.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2 GoBruins
Quote:
Ross overs quiet a bit of scholarships even though it's public

Could you please rephrase two first words, or explain what they mean, as I can't get the meaning.
Quote:
if you were a decent candidate at HBS, you probably wouldn't qualify for their top scholarships since they typically have a very very strong class.

But isn't it true that a b-school representatives consider both qualification and financial state of the candidate? So, even less qualified candidates with less or no money may be granted a full scholarship?
Quote:
You should expect other people to pay for your education.

Should I or should not ?

2 rhyme
Could you please decipher for me what "whoops email" means, please ?

And what about my this question:
Is it possible to be admitted into a b-school and then be excluded due to the absence of money (situation when there is no scholarship, no private money, no loans)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
WantGMAT800 wrote:
2 GoBruins
Quote:
Ross overs quiet a bit of scholarships even though it's public

Could you please rephrase two first words, or explain what they mean, as I can't get the meaning.
Quote:
if you were a decent candidate at HBS, you probably wouldn't qualify for their top scholarships since they typically have a very very strong class.

But isn't it true that a b-school representatives consider both qualification and financial state of the candidate? So, even less qualified candidates with less or no money may be granted a full scholarship?
Quote:
You should expect other people to pay for your education.

Should I or should not ?

2 rhyme
Could you please decipher for me what "whoops email" means, please ?

And what about my this question:
Is it possible to be admitted into a b-school and then be excluded due to the absence of money (situation when there is no scholarship, no private money, no loans)

your financial need is almost never going to result in a full scholarship. schools like HBS/S/Wharton etc are good with giving general grant money as part of your financial aid package, but it will never result in a full ride; you are still going to have to take out a loan. full ride scholarships (few and far between) are reserved for the very top candidates at any school. like was previously stated, if you're a good applicant at HBS and you get no merit scholarship, but yet you're an outstanding candidate at Darden, you may qualify for a full scholarship.

overall, most scholarships are still going to leave you with the responsibility of paying living costs, more than likely you will have to take out loans, your earning potential should overshadow the risk of taking loans, financial need (unless you have some sob story of being from a war torn country and having had your entire family killed by rebels) is not going to get you a full ride, you will still have loans in your package. this is why people reiterate the importance of attending a top MBA program, they are expensive, the better the school, the better opportunity you have to pay the loans back
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2 2012dreams
Ok, thanks for your reply. A loan is not a problem for me at all, just I'm not sure I'll be eligible to be given it.
Quote:
if you're a good applicant at HBS and you get no merit scholarship, but yet you're an outstanding candidate at Darden

What is more interesting for me, is how an adcom from Darden is going to know that I'm a good applicant at HBS?
I mean, different adcoms have distinguished approaches for candidates assessment, so even those who could be good applicants at HBS with 750+ GMAT and relevant work experience might not be good as well in Darden due to different criteria of appraisal. Am I wrong ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
WantGMAT800 wrote:
2 2012dreams
Ok, thanks for your reply. A loan is not a problem for me at all, just I'm not sure I'll be eligible to be given it.
Quote:
if you're a good applicant at HBS and you get no merit scholarship, but yet you're an outstanding candidate at Darden

What is more interesting for me, is how an adcom from Darden is going to know that I'm a good applicant at HBS?
I mean, different adcoms have distinguished approaches for candidates assessment, so even those who could be good applicants at HBS with 750+ GMAT and relevant work experience might not be good as well in Darden due to different criteria of appraisal. Am I wrong ?

The criteria are basically the same. GMAT, pattern of leadership in extracurriculars, good GPA from good undergrad school.

It's like women - yes, people have types, but if you have a great set of legs, perky breasts and a pretty face, you're well ahead of the other chick with dark hair and glasses who's just so-so looking. Although there are non-traditional applicants. We say these applicants have "great personalities".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2 sapphireka
Thanks for your response.
Quote:
Although there are non-traditional applicants. We say these applicants have "great personalities"

I see, so now targeted areas have just emerged :). And as far as I understand these "great personality" traits may be noticed during an interview, right? Or it can be observed as well through the written style of one's essay, or possibly throught some other things ?
Quote:
It's like women - yes, people have types, but if you have a great set of legs, perky breasts and a pretty face, you're well ahead of the other chick with dark hair and glasses who's just so-so looking

Yes, that's sad true. Nevertheless, so-so looking women can be happier and a lot more successful then those good-looking chicks, all one needs is faith and tenacity. Besides, make up and well suited dress make (or makes ?) real difference.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I would know about loans because I have a reminder to make payments. Like most people do, I expect (bar those that built a pile of cash, which I might had I not wasted away in the wrong place for four years location wise).

The full scholarships seem to show a habit of involving some forecast future hardship. Pelihu's was for entrepreneurship, a lot of them are for Non-Profit or similar fields. Really, there are very few - even the good scholarships at schools normally will cover one year's fees, not two.

Expecting a full scholarship for pursuing life as an Investment Banker is quite unlikely.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2 3underscore
Thank you for your response.
Could you please give one more answer on this: suppose the tuition for 2 years is $80000. I got bursary of, say, $30000, combined of the b-school itself grant and of the endowment from other institutions that provide scholarships. In this way I'm left with $50000 plus some money for living expenditures. BTW, how much will it cost me providing quite moderate spending? So the question is will those banks be willing to give me such a significant loan considering that I'm non US citizen and have nobody in the state for co-signing? And what will they take as a collateral?
Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Bot