Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Verb Tense/Formx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [125]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [43]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [26]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

spriya wrote:
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(A) amounts to a sum lower
(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower
(E) amounted to a lower sum

Choice A: In Option A, we see a subject-verb disagreement between "amounts" and "a sum". Thus, Option A is incorrect.

Choice B: Option B displays the same flaw that Option A does. Thus, Option B is incorrect.

Choice C: Option C maintains correct idiomatic usage and subject-verb agreement. Thus, Option C is correct.

Choice D: In Option D, the sentence compares two amounts. As "amount" is uncountable, the correct adjective to use here is "less" rather than "lower'. Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: In Option E, using both "amounted to" and "sum" is redundant; when the verb “amounted to” is used, it is understood that that the end result will be a sum. Thus, E is not a good answer choice.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of “Collective, Countable, and Uncountable nouns on GMAT”, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [5]
Send PM
Re: Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
x2suresh wrote:
spriya wrote:
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower

direct costs -- amounts (Sub-ver) problem
A, B are out
E - out amount and sum are redundant.

Here we are comparing amount.. not number..
amount, money --> they uncountable. and should use less/more (not lower)

I have more amount.
I have more money
I have less money
I have lower money --(wrong)

good question.
+1 for you

thank u :-D
OA is C

yes uncountable -> less /more
measurable in units or countable lower higher

this year,profit of the company is less than 10%

this year profit of the company equals to a sum lower than 10%

I hope this is the funda
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [14]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
here direct costs is plural, so any thing singular such as " a lower sum" , " a sum less" or " a sum lower" should not come.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
past tense 'amounted' is needed.
amount and sum is redundant

'cost' is uncountable - hence less not lower
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
They're talking abt the past so -- amounted
Can't quantify 'amount' so it's 'less than' and not 'lower than'
Usage example 1: The water level is lower than expected
Example 2: The amount is far less than expected
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
spriya wrote:

1. PRONOUN NUMBER AGREEMENT ERROR. The subject "direct costs" is plural so it requires a plural verb and NOT the singular verb "amounts".
2. TENSE ERROR - Also, as per the context of the sentence, usage of the simple past tense will make more sense. As the usage of simple present tense sounds as if it is a general fact that the direct costs always in general amount to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on the health care. That is not the intended meaning. Also, the time marker -- "last year" clearly specifies the use of past tense. INCORRECT

(B) amounts to less
Similar errors as in choice A. INCORRECT

(C) amounted to less
Here, the verb tense error is resolved. Also, the usage of LESS is correct here. CORRECT.

(D) amounted to lower
Usage of LOWER is incorrect here. INCORRECT.

This would be correct if we swap the position of sum with lower. That is,
amounted to a sum lower
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
aceGMAT21 wrote:
spriya wrote:

1. PRONOUN NUMBER AGREEMENT ERROR. The subject "direct costs" is plural so it requires a plural verb and NOT the singular verb "amounts".
2. TENSE ERROR - Also, as per the context of the sentence, usage of the simple past tense will make more sense. As the usage of simple present tense sounds as if it is a general fact that the direct costs always in general amount to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on the health care. That is not the intended meaning. Also, the time marker -- "last year" clearly specifies the use of past tense. INCORRECT

(B) amounts to less

(C) amounted to less
Here, the verb tense error is resolved. Also, the usage of LESS is correct here. CORRECT.

(D) amounted to lower

amounted to a sum lower

Hi Varun,
Why lower than is wrong here.Less is used to refer to something that is not countable: John has less ice cream than Mary has. But we can't say John has a less amount of ice cream. Words such as amount, sum, and total require an -er word. We need to say: John has a smaller amount of ice cream than Mary has.

We have an official question - Here, lower than is correct

Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than that spent by tobacco companies, many believe that the government should allocate no more funds to a battle they perceive as pointless.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [3]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
sunny91 wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:
spriya wrote:

(B) amounts to less

(C) amounted to less

(D) amounted to lower

amounted to a sum lower

Hi Varun,
Why lower than is wrong here.Less is used to refer to something that is not countable: John has less ice cream than Mary has. But we can't say John has a less amount of ice cream. Words such as amount, sum, and total require an -er word. We need to say: John has a smaller amount of ice cream than Mary has.

We have an official question - Here, lower than is correct

Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than that spent by tobacco companies, many believe that the government should allocate no more funds to a battle they perceive as pointless.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than

Hi sunny91,

For the official question, following is the explanation,

"Less" compares amounts or extents:
There is less wine in my glass than in yours.
I find smokers less attractive than non-smokers.

"Lower" compares two numbers or measurements:
The level of wine in the bottle got steadily lower.
The number of smokers is lower than the number of non-smokers.

In this official question, we're comparing sums(actually the numbers), so "lower" is appropriate.

Now, coming to the question in hand,
(C) amounted to less
The usage of LESS is correct here as I have already mentioned LESS compares amounts or extents. ALSO, if you see the later non-underlined part of the sentence, that is --
less than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care....
Here, "Less than X%" is idiomatic. This is the correct usage.

(D) amounted to lower
Usage of LOWER is incorrect here. Lower is used for COUNTABLEs. Also, amounted to sum lower than would have been a correct construction here. As LOWER compares two numbers or measurements.
ALSO, the construction "LOWER than X%" is unidiomatic.

ONE more important difference to note between the LESS and LOWER is,
'less' can be both an adjective and an adverb whereas 'lower' is always an adjective.

Hope that clears your query.

Thanks.
-aceGMAT21
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos